Pre-Trip Ready to Show our Disney Side Without 'Em

I really wasn't sure if I wanted to do a PTR. Life has been pretty stressful between side business stuff, new job, kid issues...I know, I know- that's just LIFE!!! Still, I haven't been as psyched up for this trip as I've been for previous Disney adventures. About 3 months ago, I totally revamped my fitness routine and nutrition and it's been helping (going over 40mi per week + lots of other stuff will do that to you ;) ), but I think I need a bit more help in the Disney excitement area...so, I'm hoping a PTR will help. Fingers crossed!!!

For those that don't know me...I'm Sandy...

14806775655_2547344a82.jpg

The photo is pretty fitting as I pretty much live behind my camera while on vacay. Hey, it makes me happy. You may actually be seeing more of me though in my actual trip report as I plan on having some solo time nearly every day and intend to hand off my camera to the Disney photogs here and there. More on my solo time to come.

And here we have the rest of the immediate fam...

14806421092_f82dfc0b91.jpg

This is DH (yes, after all of these years posting on here, I still refer to him as DH), Kendall and Sammie. Here's where the "showing our Disney side without 'em" factors in. This is a KID FREE TRIP!!!!! :joyfull: That's right! We're heading to WDW without the girls. They're a bit bummed that they're not coming with us. I actually think Kendall suspects we're going to surprise them last minute and bring them along. NOT HAPPENING!!! I was on the phone with Disney the other night and she excitedly declared "We're going to Disney!!!" I brought her back to reality and said "No, I'm going to Disney." I'm so mean :devilish:

Finally, we have one oddball addition to our touring group...

14783771746_cbdda735c3.jpg

Yes, it's a spork. Officially, it is "Space Mountain Spork." I'll spare you the full story, but it all came up at work the other week and before I knew it, some coworker friends 'gifted' me with said spork and assigned me the task of bringing it on our trip and taking pictures with it all along the way. It also ties into Taco Bell and how Disney has just about everything...everything BUT Taco Bell ...and how I may just walk into MK and suddenly miss that there's no Taco Bell. This is how I feel about Taco Bell :hungover: And this is how I'd feel about a Taco Bell in MK :mad: The spork won't be unwrapped until we're at WDW.

So, now that you've met me, DH, and our spork :hilarious:...let's get into some of the basics.

WHEN: Nov 7-12
WHERE: Literally just switched from the Contemporary to the Poly

6062655922_e8d541c7cc.jpg

6061931587_9698b2d854.jpg

6062648340_07a597eca8.jpg

Yes, I know the Poly is a massive construction zone, but 30% off room only discounts hit for our dates (we're not DDP peeps) and the Poly was the only suitable deluxe with rooms. I had a feeling this would be the case. Back around day 180, I tried to add a day onto our stay (thought I'd already done it) and there was nothing below concierge level in the tower at that point. I tried to switch to BWI and there was nothing there either. It's always kind of a scary thought when so many things are booked solid that far out. Granted, we are going at the tail end of F&W, Jersey Week and Veteran's Day weekend....so that's part of it. I even checked the GF for our dates once the room discounts hit, but nothing. So, we're staying at the Poly- strictly for the convenience factor, room size, and well- the discount. I saved about $600, so it's worth it to me. And who knows...maybe we'll even pop by Blizzard Beach since Poly guests are getting free access.

I think I'm going to call it a night, but coming up:

> Dining and dining dilemmas
> Touring plans
> A day at Uni
> Spork goals
> Cake (you had to figure cake would factor in at some point)
> Everything else I can think of :D

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
thanks girl.... Ct scan sometime this week. Thinking the sinuses behind the eyes and above them may be blocked thanks to the pain I have been having. If it doesn't show that he is sending me to a neurologist because it could be something worse. He said it could also be a horrible virus going around that he has seen last 8 weeks. Ugh!

Ugh- well I really hope it's nothing major. Getting the neurologist involved can be some scary business!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, yesterday was the 60 day mark for us. Again- I should be more excited, but things at work are on the verge of getting totally crazy. We're on the cusp of our busiest season and I've just been assigned a massive project on top of that which also has similar deadlines. I guess on a positive note, I won't have all this time on my hands waiting for the trip to arrive.

Funny, the 60 day mark used to mean nothing, but now it means online check in and FP+ booking. I guess it was something extra to look forward to in all of this. So, I did our online check in...input our arrival time, requested Rarotonga and a balcony...and that's about it for check in.

FP+ booking was more difficult. Why? Because DH has reconsidered the whole sleeping in thing. Yeah- apparently he's just planning on skipping breakfast and meeting me in the parks between 9-9:30am. So much for my solo mornings :( I still have some hope that he'll be worn out a couple of days and let me go solo. Oh well, here's how the preliminary touring/FP+ booking plans are for now:

Nov 7 - I told DH that I MUST go to MK before anything else. I don't have to ride anything- don't even have to make it past MSUSA, but I must set eyes on the castle from the end of MSUSA on day 1. It's really the only way for me to make things feel right. After that- we head to DHS for FP+s on RnR, Star Tours, and Muppet Vision. I would like to head over to Epcot for a bit before heading back for Osborne Lights, but we'll see how this all goes. We of course have a dinner ADR at Yachtsman and will need to decide if we head back into Epcot for Illuminations or try and get back to the MK area to catch Holiday Wishes.

Nov 8 - I start with breakfast at Crystal Palace (still trying to improve that time). We then have 2 early FP+s for Peter Pan and then Big Thunder. After that, it's off to Epcot for F&W...thinking about MK bus to BC and entering via the IG vs. monorail. Here's where FP+ gets annoying...I wanted SDMT for this day, but the earliest I could get was 6:20-7:20p. We have a Cali Grill ADR at 7:40p, so I'm probably going to have to change all of this, but for now...it's booked. We'll definitely be in MK for EMH, but I was hoping to see Wishes- so I really don't want to mess with any of the super late FP+ times.

Nov 9 - I have an early breakfast and then I think DAK has EMH. DH is going to meet me over there and we have FPs for EE, Primeval Whirl and Nemo. Excited about that because I never seem to be able to work in the last 2. After that- we're off to F&W again and then it's dinner at Narcoosee's with cake and Wishes that night.

Nov 10 - I have an early ADR at Kona and then we're off to Epcot. We have FPs for Soarin', Mission Space, and SSE. Of course, there will be some other things we want to ride, but this is also our last day to hit F&W. This is also the night we have dinner at Flying Fish and may do an Epcot area resort crawl. MVMCP is going on that night, so it should be easy enough to get back to the MK area.

Nov 11 - F&W is officially over- so it's probably going to be all MK this day. We have a SDMT FP just after park opening, Space Mountain, and then PotC. We have a late breakfast ADR at 1900 PF and then it's more park time before we freshen up for dinner at Citrico's. This should be the night where we do our monorail resort crawl.

Nov 12th is now just a restful departure day - well, minus an early breakfast at Chef Mickey's and maybe a pop over to catch the welcome show one last time.

So, that's it for now :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I have returned!!! Work should be getting back to normal hectic next week and I'm now about 13 days out...so, I thought I'd start posting some of my last minute updates.

FP+ Update - I only changed 1 thing...shocking if you know my history and my love to change things up. It was that SDMT FP+ for day 2 of our trip. It would just be insane for us to try and go into MK before Cali Grill. I had been hunting for one earlier in the day until I saw someone's video of Wishes from SDMT. It was AWESOME! It was quite brief, but it would be awesome to catch some of Wishes from the train and then see the rest from the back side of the castle. We watched it from the BOG bridge back in 2012 and it's pretty cool...you feel like you're sort of in the middle of it all since the big effects go off behind you and the smaller ones are in front of you right by the castle.

ADRs - a real shock...I haven't touched a thing! That NEVER happens. I have been trying to get a better time for Crystal Palace, but part of me is thinking of just being happy with what I've got. I mean 8:40 is still pre-park opening...you can always get in very early for MK prepark ADRs...and it might be more relaxing to not be rushing to the 8:05.

Magic Bands - they arrived a couple of weeks ago :)

Magical Express - arrive a couple of days before the MBs arrived.

Tickets - well, don't think I posted anything about this, but I put our physical tickets in a "good place" and couldn't find them. I'm sure all will be fine with the MBs, but I like having the physical tickets with me as a back up Just In Case!

Gifts for Coworkers - I'm leaning towards Vinylmation keychains...assuming they have some. Not that these are cheap...but nothing really is at WDW. I at least get a discount with the Disney Visa...and I'd be giving them a keychain that's something I like. I haven't bought any my last trip, but I do have a small collection.

Gift for girl training me - the girl who trained me and worked me through our busy time just did so much. I mean, I can't begin to say enough about how much she did for me. I know she likes Vera Bradley and she is a Disney fan (grew up going to DLR) so I'm thinking about picking up a nice DVB bag for her.

Photos - still on the fence about it, but while my camera can't shoot in RAW, I've talked to several people who said Adobe Lightroom can still do a lot to help my pics. I might treat myself before the trip if there's room after I do some clothes shopping or maybe after- after I see how much I really spend at WDW ;) I at least get OT for everything I've been doing lately- so that could be the way to cover my photo splurge.

Hair - yes, hair! I've really wanted to get royal blue streaks in my hair, but it's not exactly something I can have for work. I mean, I work at a very large financial firm and royal blue hair doesn't exactly say "professional." still, I'd kind of like it for the trip. So, I may buy extensions for the trip. You'll just have to wait and see if I have any blue hair for Disney!

Cake - yes, I know this is what you all wanted to hear about, but I'm telling you right now...I am not giving you all of the details. You'll have to be a bit surprised. I will tell you the following...
1. I am not working with the GF. It took them nearly a week to get back with me. I was already thinking Contemporary since chef Brian is back. GF left me a msg, so I told myself if I got their voicemail- I'd go with the Contemporary. I got their voicemail- so I am having cake at our Cali Grill meal on nt 2. Hey- that's one more day to eat leftover cake!
2. They cannot put Stitch and Donald together on a cake since they do not appear together in cartoons. I had to pick one, but I won't tell you more than that.
3. I wasn't feeling the steam punk, so you'll have to wait and see what kind of theme I went with for this cake.
4. This is going to be my most expensive cake to dae. In fact...it's $100 more than my next most priecy one. When I called private dining to place the order, they thought I was ordering a 2 tier cake. Yup - it is that pricey! when I said no- just a single tier...he said "oh- so a 10"." And I'm like "no- just a very ornate 8" cake." And if what they produce matches my description...it should be AWESOME!!!!!!!! And for the price- well, it better be!

That's all for now, but I'll be posting more regularly over the next couple of weeks :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
A few minor updates...

- I bought a couple of shirts for the trip. Nothing really too major...one is a navy ringer tee with a bright yellow outline of a Donald...he's sort of smirking. The other...well, it's sort of DIY. If you didn't know, I love the Cheshire Cat. I found an iron on with the "we're all mad here" quote underneath the graphic and plan to iron it on to a yellow tee. I figure this 2nd shirt "should" go over well during 1900 PF breakfast...I mean, surely the Mad Hatter will see that I'm MAD too and maybe we can be MAD together! Hey, a girl can dream.

- I'm not buying a ton of new clothes for the trip, but I did go out and buy a new pair of jeans and boots today. The reality...I am more likely to wear these things to work vs. on the trip...but I guess that helped me justify the purchases. Still debating about some kind of new comfy sandals for walking around the parks, but the reality is that I can't justify sandals this late in the season - even if I do live in a climate comparable to that of WDWs. I'm also not so sure I want to do a Disney pedi before this trip since my toes aren't too happy with all of the mileage I've been putting in.

- still nothing on trying to upgrade my Crystal Palace ADR. I've seen a 9:40, 9:55, and 9:15 come up, but nothing to beat my 8:40. What's sad, I've seen GREAT ADR times come up at CRT, Chef Mickey's, H&V, Tusker, 'Ohana, 1900 PF, and Cape May. So basically, aside from Akershus, I could have had an early ADR at pretty much every other character meal on property. I guess it does prove my theory that Crystal Palace is likely the most coveted of the pre-park opening ADRs.

EDIT- as of this morning...even a decent Akershus popped up, so Crystal Palace is officially going to make me batty. And I blame stupid free dining for keeping me from the 8:05 this trip. I know - I know...still a few more days to stalk :( I guess what I've got still isn't bad.

- The weather is looking pretty decent for the trip. There is a 70% chance of rain on our arrival day though, so I'm hoping it doesn't mess too much with us flying in. I guess it also means I won't be chancing it and will bring along the ponchos. Sad, but my biggest fear is that it will ruin my hair before our dinner ADR at Yachtsman. The rest of the trip looks nice though...fairly dry, highs in the mid to upper 70s, lows in the mid to upper 50s.

- speaking of food...we should be getting over to DHS around lunch. I don't want to make any ADRs, but I'm thinking about HBDL ... http://allears.net/dining/menu/hollywood-brown-derby-lounge/all-day The drink menu alone looks like reason enough to pop in.

OK...I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can recall right now. Still can't believe I'm going to WDW THIS WEEK!!!

Last edited:

smk

Have fun! We have taken MANY trips without our kids and they always pop into my head when I know they would enjoy something. Now our kids are old enough to have their own families and they still guilt me about going without them! I just tell them to save and maybe one day they will get there! JK, we are taking our grandson next year and will help his parents with their costs too if they need it. I love WDW, I love everything about it, I always want to share it with my DH first and kids second!

You are a planner! We fly by the seat of our pants, go with the flow. We have been so many times we know what we want to do and we don't stress about making too many plans, esp. for meals. Works for us. Many years ago, after the first two trips we took with small kids my DH said he would never go back again if I made that many plans for each day. He said setting an alarm on his vacation made it feel a lot like work, and he was right! I was not working at the time and just was trying to get the most out of each day. However, I understood he meant it and I backed off, he enjoyed our trips more and now we go alone every year (except this year :( ). He goes now because I love it so much (right....) but just today was talking about next September and splitting our stay between two resorts. He cannot admit it but he loves the place just as much as I do.

I hope your trip is fun filled and fabulous!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hey guys...just wanted to post that we're back :( I know...the typical post WDW sadness (and minor bug from going full steam all trip...i.e. sniffles, sore throat, exhaustion, etc.). I will be starting my actual trip report some time over the course of the next week. I took nearly 4,000 pictures!!! So, I have a lot of editing and uploading in my future, but I will get through it so you can walk through the retelling of our trip :) I'm not going to say much about it right now, but I will say this...the trip was AWESOME!!! Seriously, EPIC! And I can't wait to share it with my favorite Disney people!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom