1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Random questions for first time Tokyo Disney visitor

Discussion in 'Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai' started by donsullivan, Apr 20, 2016.

1. GiveMeTheMusic

GiveMeTheMusic Well-Known Member

Glad you didn't have any problems with your AMEX at the resort. I never tried to use mine there, but it's good to know.

2. amjt660

amjt660 Well-Known Member

I'm not one to normally write trip reports but this trip might change that. I'll definitely have lots and lots of photos while I'm there and when I get back though.[/QUOTE]

No one likes being put on the spot but....... (you did mention writing up a trip report - I am all ears , eagerly waiting to read it)

3. donsullivan

donsullivan Original Poster Premium Member

I'll try and pull something together soon but I just arrived home late last night and still trying to catch up on things. It will likely be later in the week before I have something coherent to share.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    KikoKea and BrerJon like this.
  4. KikoKea

KikoKea Well-Known Member

Thanks @donsullivan for the info about using an AMEX card. We plan to go in mid-April so am looking forward to hearing about your trip and any tips you might have.

5. donsullivan

New restrictions on non Japan issued credits cards have been added by TDR in the last week. You can no longer use a non-Japan issued Visa card for room reservations or ticket purchases, Master Card seems to be the only card a US visitor can use to book a hotel or pre purchase tickets. I'm glad I got my trip behind me in October since there is no way I'm getting a new credit card just for a trip like that.

It feels like they are trying to exclude non Japanese guests from their own hotels and push them to other non OLC operated hotels.

6. spencer simister

spencer simister New Member

Hi I am planning to go to the Disney Tokyo Resort in a year or two. So I was wondering when the best time to go is, how much more expensive is it compared to Disneyland or Disney world and the last question I have is, is the language barrier a big issue.

7. donsullivan

A really good resources to get information on best time of year and to be honest a great site to just help plan your visit is tdrexplorer.com. They have all kinds of details about visiting, best times, etc.. There is also a great crowd calendar site at http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en that can help in planning your visit time.

When I was there for the first time last fall, with the exception of airfare I didn't really find it any more expensive than a trip to Disneyland. The biggest variable to cost is your choice of hotels. I spent most of my visit at Mira Costa which, while amazingly convenient is really expensive and I'm not sure I would choose it again for such a long stay due to cost. There are a number of non-TDR owned hotels along the monorail route that are just as convenient and much less expensive..

EDIT: I missed your question on language barrier. I do not speak anything more than basic greetings and had no language barrier issues at all visiting TDR. All of the attraction signage throughout the parks is in english and japanese and most announcements are also in japanese and english. Many live shows are also in english but some are in japanese. I was unable to figure out a common denominator on when english is used. When it comes to attractions, everything inside pretty much all attractions is in Japanese but I did not find that a barrier at all.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    KikoKea likes this.
  8. GiveMeTheMusic

The above tips are great. You'll find these sites very helpful in planning as well:

http://www.disneytouristblog.com/tokyo-disney-trip-planning-guide/

http://tdrexplorer.com

KikoKea and DDLand like this.
  9. spencer simister

spencer simister New Member

Thank you for you advice I really appreciate it!!!

10. jamarmiller

jamarmiller Member

I just spent the last three days here ( Tuesday Wednesday Thursday ) . It's my 7th time visiting and most likely my last . Park was guesstimated to be 49 percent full by TDR website , which I guess means three hour waits for rides and 1 hour and a half wait for stuff like popcorn . The crowd calendar on that site can change a day in before so be careful using that . Anyways It's just become way too crowded and just one big disappointment for my wife and kids . Plus with shanghai being opened now it's actually easier , quicker , and cheaper for us to fly out of the country ( we live in Japan ) and go to the china( or even Hong Kong ) resorts . I do not see my self ever wasting my time or money on Tokyo Disney resort again .

amjt660 likes this.
  11. GiveMeTheMusic

Crowd calendars are run by fans and not always accurate. I would not want to do TDR with kids though - it's almost always too crowded and would be difficult to handle.

amjt660 and jamarmiller like this.