Random questions for first time Tokyo Disney visitor

GiveMeTheMusic

So, I'm on my way back from this Tokyo trip and can now confirm from experience the way the credit card thing works.

The Japan issued AMEX restriction is only on the website. Once I was there I had absolutely no issues at all using the card throughout the TDR property for merchandise purchases or food at counter serve or table service restaurants. I also used my Chase Disney VISA card without issues. You just have to be sure there are no mag stripe issues with the card since they do not use chips.

Glad you didn't have any problems with your AMEX at the resort. I never tried to use mine there, but it's good to know.

amjt660

Premium Member
I'm not one to normally write trip reports but this trip might change that. I'll definitely have lots and lots of photos while I'm there and when I get back though.[/QUOTE]

No one likes being put on the spot but....... (you did mention writing up a trip report - I am all ears , eagerly waiting to read it)

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm not one to normally write trip reports but this trip might change that. I'll definitely have lots and lots of photos while I'm there and when I get back though.

No one likes being put on the spot but....... (you did mention writing up a trip report - I am all ears , eagerly waiting to read it)

I'll try and pull something together soon but I just arrived home late last night and still trying to catch up on things. It will likely be later in the week before I have something coherent to share.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
New restrictions on non Japan issued credits cards have been added by TDR in the last week. You can no longer use a non-Japan issued Visa card for room reservations or ticket purchases, Master Card seems to be the only card a US visitor can use to book a hotel or pre purchase tickets. I'm glad I got my trip behind me in October since there is no way I'm getting a new credit card just for a trip like that.

It feels like they are trying to exclude non Japanese guests from their own hotels and push them to other non OLC operated hotels.

spencer simister

Hi I am planning to go to the Disney Tokyo Resort in a year or two. So I was wondering when the best time to go is, how much more expensive is it compared to Disneyland or Disney world and the last question I have is, is the language barrier a big issue.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi I am planning to go to the Disney Tokyo Resort in a year or two. So I was wondering when the best time to go is, how much more expensive is it compared to Disneyland or Disney world and the last question I have is, is the language barrier a big issue.

A really good resources to get information on best time of year and to be honest a great site to just help plan your visit is tdrexplorer.com. They have all kinds of details about visiting, best times, etc.. There is also a great crowd calendar site at http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en that can help in planning your visit time.

When I was there for the first time last fall, with the exception of airfare I didn't really find it any more expensive than a trip to Disneyland. The biggest variable to cost is your choice of hotels. I spent most of my visit at Mira Costa which, while amazingly convenient is really expensive and I'm not sure I would choose it again for such a long stay due to cost. There are a number of non-TDR owned hotels along the monorail route that are just as convenient and much less expensive..

EDIT: I missed your question on language barrier. I do not speak anything more than basic greetings and had no language barrier issues at all visiting TDR. All of the attraction signage throughout the parks is in english and japanese and most announcements are also in japanese and english. Many live shows are also in english but some are in japanese. I was unable to figure out a common denominator on when english is used. When it comes to attractions, everything inside pretty much all attractions is in Japanese but I did not find that a barrier at all.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

spencer simister

A really good resources to get information on best time of year and to be honest a great site to just help plan your visit is tdrexplorer.com. They have all kinds of details about visiting, best times, etc.. There is also a great crowd calendar site at http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en that can help in planning your visit time.

When I was there for the first time last fall, with the exception of airfare I didn't really find it any more expensive than a trip to Disneyland. The biggest variable to cost is your choice of hotels. I spent most of my visit at Mira Costa which, while amazingly convenient is really expensive and I'm not sure I would choose it again for such a long stay due to cost. There are a number of non-TDR owned hotels along the monorail route that are just as convenient and much less expensive..

EDIT: I missed your question on language barrier. I do not speak anything more than basic greetings and had no language barrier issues at all visiting TDR. All of the attraction signage throughout the parks is in english and japanese and most announcements are also in japanese and english. Many live shows are also in english but some are in japanese. I was unable to figure out a common denominator on when english is used. When it comes to attractions, everything inside pretty much all attractions is in Japanese but I did not find that a barrier at all.
Thank you for you advice I really appreciate it!!!

I just spent the last three days here ( Tuesday Wednesday Thursday ) . It's my 7th time visiting and most likely my last . Park was guesstimated to be 49 percent full by TDR website , which I guess means three hour waits for rides and 1 hour and a half wait for stuff like popcorn . The crowd calendar on that site can change a day in before so be careful using that . Anyways It's just become way too crowded and just one big disappointment for my wife and kids . Plus with shanghai being opened now it's actually easier , quicker , and cheaper for us to fly out of the country ( we live in Japan ) and go to the china( or even Hong Kong ) resorts . I do not see my self ever wasting my time or money on Tokyo Disney resort again .

GiveMeTheMusic

I just spent the last three days here ( Tuesday Wednesday Thursday ) . It's my 7th time visiting and most likely my last . Park was guesstimated to be 49 percent full by TDR website , which I guess means three hour waits for rides and 1 hour and a half wait for stuff like popcorn . The crowd calendar on that site can change a day in before so be careful using that . Anyways It's just become way too crowded and just one big disappointment for my wife and kids . Plus with shanghai being opened now it's actually easier , quicker , and cheaper for us to fly out of the country ( we live in Japan ) and go to the china( or even Hong Kong ) resorts . I do not see my self ever wasting my time or money on Tokyo Disney resort again .

Crowd calendars are run by fans and not always accurate. I would not want to do TDR with kids though - it's almost always too crowded and would be difficult to handle.

KikoKea

Returned a week ago from 7 days at TDL. We stayed at the Hilton Tokyo Bay and was pleased with it, but the Mira Costa looks amazing, particularly if your room overlooks the park. We bought a pass on the resort monorail and used it to get around- spoiled us and the monorail at WDW is going to look mighty shabby on our next visit.

In park, at the hotels, and when roaming Tokyo and Iksapari on the weekend off we had no problem using our AMEX card. We used it for everything except popcorn and the soda machines. We exchanged $200 at the airport and it was more than enough for our cash needs- we had to spend it for last minute gifts in order to use it up.

We purchased our tickets at the park. We arrived Tues afternoon after a 9 hour flight, and were tired, but we used one of the tickets for that night at TDL. In 5 hours, we did every ride that was running was and had a great time. Many of the locals leave in the early evening, so don't discount going for an evening, if it works out time-wise for you.

As for crowds, the calendars showed it green except the weekends, which were red and yellow. There were busloads of school kids there on field trips during the week, but even so, the lines were not bad. We used FP for the more popular rides, and Space Mt return times were nearly always within an hour or two. (Pirates and small world were both closed, unfortunately) Many rides were under 15 min, except immediately after a parade ended and everyone got in a line. People line up early for entrance- we got there 30 minutes early and were nearly at the back of the line when they let us in. After that, not wanting to stand for an hour and wait, we didn't rush and tried to time getting there just after the gates opened- we still had no problem getting FPs.

To avoid the busy weekend, we skipped Sat and spent it walking Iksipari and checking out the decor and restaurants in the park hotels. (The Oceano buffet in the MiraCosta is very nice! Eat at the 7pm sitting and you can watch Fantasmic from their balcony) We took the train into Tokyo on Sunday and walked the Imperial Palace grounds, then returned for the TDL Sherwood buffet- my favorite of the two.

We spent 2 days at Seas and rode Journey to the Center several times each day using FP, along with Indiana. Other rides were walk on or under 15 min wait. We chose TDL for our last day, making it 3 days at TDL total, since we found there was more to do at TDL, even if Seas was a beautiful park.

You might want to familiarize yourself with the park maps before you go. The layout is somewhat different from DL or WDWMK, and I got turned around every time we were in Frontierland or Adventureland. Otherwise, go and have a great time!

Absimilliard

I discovered an additional set of ATM that work with foreign cards during my last trip: at post offices. I was at Korakuen Hall in Tokyo Dome City and I tried the ATM at the post office and it worked, allowing me to score a better seat for the wrestling show since the ticket office there only accepted cash.

Many stores at Akihabara and Nagano Broadway also don't take cards, so take some additional yens for that just in case.

Juujuugurl

I hope you have a wonderful time at Tokyo Disneyland! Make sure to check out the cookie and snack tins! Those are my favorite souvenirs! Also, if you like popcorn, I recommend you do the popcorn bucket! The bucket itself is a bit pricey, but worth it if you plan on eating lots of popcorn (they have lots of unique flavors)!

If you have any questions about food and souvenirs or just curious about certain things, let me know! I try to go there at least twice a year~

imthewalrus79

Hi. I'm starting to plan a trip for in a year or two to Tokyo Disneyland. I also hope to take at least a day or two and explore some of the area outside of TDL. So, I'd like to learn some Japanese that would help me on my trip. Does anyone have any recommendations on any books or anything that would help teach me some basic Japanese phrases?

Juujuugurl

Hi. I'm starting to plan a trip for in a year or two to Tokyo Disneyland. I also hope to take at least a day or two and explore some of the area outside of TDL. So, I'd like to learn some Japanese that would help me on my trip. Does anyone have any recommendations on any books or anything that would help teach me some basic Japanese phrases?

I've never had a phrase book before (I only had textbooks from college etc), however I've heard only good things from the "Point and Speak" series.
51mEPZ3jMzL._SX342_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom