Progress outdates Disney attraction

I love this line from the article...

Located in Tomorrowland, the attraction displayed advances in technology during the 20th Century. It had been refurbished twice in the 1990s. Carousel featured new high-tech gear in everything from home entertainment to office work, and allowed guests to try it.

Uhh.. are they confusing this with Innoventions. Last time I checked you couldn't play with the VR toys in the final scene :)

Chernabog

Thanks for posting that link Grizzly. I knew that someone somewhere had started a petetion and I was looking for it. Thanx again.

wdwcastwannabe

oh no! carousel is one of my favorites. i agree with grizzly, we must write disney as much as possible and sign the petition as much as possible, even with an alias a few times! we must be heard!

tim

prberk

Good, Tim

It is good to see that some of the younger people, including you, Tim, appreciate the Carousel. I don't think that they think young people like it. I am 35, and I have met many younger people who think it is also cool. I think messages from people like you will matter more, showing that your demographic doesn't only accept thrill rides. (Which we all knew all along, but couldn't tell the marketing types.) There is something to timeless rides and the cross-generational experience that they encourage.

wdwcastwannabe

thanx prberk

thanx prberk, i take that as a compliment to my taste!

honestly, i enjoy the odd thrill ride, but when push comes to shove, my favorite thrillers will always be disney ones because they have an atmosphere to them. there are always some classics that should never be touched, and CoP is one of them! i hate thriller parks like islands of adventure because they just throw together a bunch of steel and call it a park, but at wdw, they make it feel magical! sorry if my explanation is cheesy, but it's true!!!

tim

ToTBellHop

definitely agree. I mean...someone posted that the Tower of Terror only goes like...28 mph (is this true...I thought disney didn't release the numbers). Other drop towers go like...60 mph. But, the Tower of Terror seems 1000 times better. Disney has mastered building thrill rides that suit the "thrill crowd" and yet don't make people (generally speaking) sick(Rock 'n' Roller Coaster might be an acception...as I saw a girl come off that and throw up in the middle of all the food stations on Sunset Boulevard...). However, right up there with the thrill rides are the other classics that we all love, like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Carousel of Progress. I'll be honest...I didn't go to CoP every year (partly b/c it was closed a lot). But, getting rid of it seems like....destroying a museum or something. If people weren't going on it, well...I guess shortened hours for it worked. But I'm not sure profits PLUMMETTING to like $1 billion/year (from $1.6) warrants getting rid of it. Now...if they get ride of SpectroMagic and Fantasmic!, I'll be ticked. I'm goin in February, which is peak season, and if I have to pay that much more for a room, it would be nice to get the FULL disney experience! Eisner...Eisner...Eisner...I thought you understood business! :hammer: shortened hours and closing classics does not lead to increased attendance...

Sigh. I would honestly doubt eisner even knows that the park hours are cut or that CoP is closed... Why? Because he is the head of a multi-billion dollar company that the parks are a VERY small part of.. He has to wory about numourous film studios/magazines/tv stations/book publishing companies/internet ventures/software companies and a bunch of other things. What would happen in a case like this is Eisner would tell the folks under him, you need to cut things by 20% or what not and then they would decide what to do. Eisner really has nothing to do about it besides being a scapegoat. If you want someone to blame, blame paul pressler or Al Weiss.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by DogsRule!
definitely agree. I mean...someone posted that the Tower of Terror only goes like...28 mph (is this true...I thought disney didn't release the numbers). Other drop towers go like...60 mph. But, the Tower of Terror seems 1000 times better.

You are pretty close - ToTs max speed is 39mph on the drop. :)

Smee

Originally posted by disneyfan1313
Sigh. I would honestly doubt eisner even knows that the park hours are cut or that CoP is closed... Why? Because he is the head of a multi-billion dollar company that the parks are a VERY small part of.. He has to wory about numourous film studios/magazines/tv stations/book publishing companies/internet ventures/software companies and a bunch of other things. What would happen in a case like this is Eisner would tell the folks under him, you need to cut things by 20% or what not and then they would decide what to do. Eisner really has nothing to do about it besides being a scapegoat. If you want someone to blame, blame paul pressler or Al Weiss.

I really believe Eisner is acutely aware of what is happening in the parks. The theme parks are consistently one the best profit dollar producers in the Disney empire and have been the company "cash cow" for years. I agree he is probably dictating the expense reductions for all divisions but he would be very interested in how the parks are going about achieving the goals and would reserve veto power over any decisions.

When Eisner took over, Disney was the parks and animated movies. He built the present empire on cash from the parks and some home run movies like Lion King. Eisner knows that the parks are the financial anchor of the company.

Labor is the biggest cost of running the parks, also a very painful and visible expense reduction. Many very dedicated CMs are going to be affected during these cutbacks, hopefully not for long. Most of these jobs are not high paying positions, and the loss of income will be very tough for many families.

Eisner should take the heat for guest dissatisfaction, he made himself the public figure and the face of Disney business. Everyone has heard about the big bonus bucks the parks made possible, no sympathy for Eisner, if he is not fully aware of what is happening in the parks, he should be.

ToTBellHop

Eisner should look to Japanese business owners for business. First of all, everyone affected by decisions is included in MAKING the decisions (a forum of sorts), but that's neither here nor there. My main point is there, all workers share in the profits and the failures...that is to say the employers take pay cuts (often the BIGGEST cuts) when the economy takes a fifty-foot plunge down Cash Mountain into an Economic Briar Patch...how does the ride end michael? With a waterfall pouring over everyone on the right side of the business as they wait to be pulled along? No! It ends w/ a ZIP A DEE DOO DAH DAY!!! OPTIMISM, MICHAEL!!! I KNOW YOU HAD IT WHEN YOU JOINED THE COMPANY!!! LOOK WHERE IT GOT YOU!!!! Cash Mountain went to the moon!! Sheesh...I like (w/ the exception of CoP) how he's dealing with the problem...it all seems pretty logical to me...that is...closing resorts...and certainly stopping the opening of Pop Century, but I think the Captain needs to take one for the team, too...
Kyle--King of Korny Metaphors!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

NowInc

Although I personally would LOVE to see CoP saved, I don't think a petition will help. Remember horizons? TONS of people signed a petition to keep it from destruction...didn't help at all. The problem is simple numbers::

Lets say 5000 people sign that petition.....thats a fraction of Disneys weekly attendance (well...normally). It's simply not enough. You want to save CoP...write to the rides sponsor and urge them to nudge Disney to leave a classic alone. Money is WAY more powerfull than signatures..especially in "the world".

heh...please dont flame me for this post...Im just trying to be a tad bit realistic (years and years of observing the inner workings of Disney has made me quite pessimistic).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom