POTC parrot?

dweezil78

It isn't going to burn my biscuits either way. . . but I liked the little green guy.

Yeah, not end of the world -- still, one of those things that always entertained me as a child and bummed to hear it is gone.

Is hairy leg pirate still out there in WDW? They either removed or moved ours here in DL and it saddens me every time I ride it. Just one of those little nuances that I always hoped to share with my own kids someday. (Once I have some of course.)

sweetpee_1993

Maybe it just weathered and didnt look good anymore.:confused: It does look a bit tacky for disney.:rolleyes: :):animwink:;)

I think it looks a bit cheap.:eek: Maybe disney thinks it looks better without it.;)

The green parrot probably looks cheap, weathered, & crappy because it's old. Like it's been there ever since I can remember (my 1st trip to WDW was in 1976) up until the 2006 refurb. ((And wouldn't a parrot pirate need to look weathered???)) The bird used to have a good purpose in his old position. He was sorta like the midway 'barker' giving passers-by a little taste of what was inside the attraction back in the day when you had to use individual tickets for each attraction. I remember very well gazing up at that parrot just itching for Mom & Dad to run & get more tickets from the nearest ticket booth because they had run out. Cheesy as he was, he had a purpose once upon a time. And I'm one of those crazies who has that nostalgic love for him. I have pics of me as a little kid standing underneath the parrot and pics of my own two sons in the same spot. It burns my butt that I can't take pictures of my kids with that little guy in that spot anymore. :cry:

Seriously? The bulk of the additions are Jack Sparrow AAs -- a character who more or less served as the comedic relief in the PoC films. Aside from the waterfall effect, the bulk of the ride, especially at WDW, is a bunch of goofy drunken pirates and animals singing Yo Ho, Yo Ho.

I'm pretty sure we've still got a talking parrot out here at DL at the entrance too, so I'm not buyin' that story...

My thoughts exactly. I think the changes made to the original attraction to make it all PC (the women now chase the pirates, etc.) probably had more impact on the story than adding a handful of Jack Sparrows to the mix. I don't feel any drama or anything remotely close to that when I ride that ride but I also have my memories to base my feelings on, too. Does anyone else wonder when WDI will send all the pirates to rehab & sober 'em up? I can sooooo see that one coming.... :cool:

Don`t matter. That`s what WDI said. Quote me on that one.

Sometimes I wonder what the eff WDI is thinkin' when they screw up good stuff that's already there. ((Like JII...)) :hammer:

KevinFlynn

Sometimes I wonder what the eff WDI is thinkin' when they screw up good stuff that's already there. ((Like JII...)) :hammer:

Well, JII was changed because Kodak's contract specified that it be changed after a certain amount of time. To be fair, WDI made it a really, really, bad change, but it had to be changed.

MissM

Is hairy leg pirate still out there in WDW? They either removed or moved ours here in DL and it saddens me every time I ride it.
Yes, the pirate with the hairy leg and dirty foot dangling over the edge is still there. And, point of reference, HE has a parrot with him as well. (Who, if you listen carefully, sings, "A parrot's life for me!" instead. :animwink:

oommggitskait

Yes, the pirate with the hairy leg and dirty foot dangling over the edge is still there. And, point of reference, HE has a parrot with him as well. (Who, if you listen carefully, sings, "A parrot's life for me!" instead. :animwink:

Can't believe I never noticed that! I'm always analyzing his hairy legs that I guess I wasn't listening. Thanks for sharing!

the-reason14

I used to like that little parrot. I dont see why they had to get rid of him? How does it not fit? Yea, its not the most advanced AA, but it was a special little touch.

MissM

Can't believe I never noticed that! I'm always analyzing his hairy legs that I guess I wasn't listening. Thanks for sharing!
It's really quiet in a very rowdy scene, so you'll have to listen close, but it's there! :D

(One of many benefits of being a Florida Resident AP that lives an hour away! *laughs*)

TP2000

I'm pretty sure we've still got a talking parrot out here at DL at the entrance too, so I'm not buyin' that story...

Yeah, he's there at Disneyland still. They updated and changed that scene he's in in '06 just inside the front doors of the queue, but the parrot is still there.

To be fair though, the WDW version of this parrot was more whimsical and fantasy based than his more serious Disneyland cousin, with the peg leg and wisecracks and all. The Disneyland queue animatronic parrot is a realistic parrot perched on a shovel in a treasure dig, and he doesn't do anything that a real parrot wouldn't do. He is just perched there watching the people in line go by, squawking stuff like "Yo, Ho!" every few seconds.

He still fit in with the new Jack Sparrow theme, and they even put a map of Isla del Tesoro near him in '06.
pirates-map-web.jpg

Chrononymous

awww...makes me sad that they booted the little guy...first from the ride, and then from the store.

I used to love that he sang "Yo Ho- a Parrot's Life For Me"

Cmdr_Crimson

awww...makes me sad that they booted the little guy...first from the ride, and then from the store.

I used to love that he sang "Yo Ho- a Parrot's Life For Me"

Sad to see him more of a Sales Parrot at WoD
[YOUTUBE]
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f2Wqm1tR394&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f2Wqm1tR394&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
[/YOUTUBE]

At least it's not as bad as the former resident of the Boys room.
[YOUTUBE]
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H2KOQk6BE6Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H2KOQk6BE6Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
[/YOUTUBE]

Krack

Sometimes WDI sucks.

There ... I said it.* Do they get held back very often by TDO? Yes. But they also get cut way more slack from the fanbase than they've deserved over the past 15 years, imho.

*Just pulled my sword on the sacred cow; I better watch my back.

HMF

WDI also says that the pirates are dunking the mayor to find out where Captain Jack Sparrow is hiding. The logic being The town is hiding Captain Jack Sparrow so that he can steal THEIR TREASURE? Can anyone make any sense out of that?

Figment632

Original Poster
Sounds more like TDO didn't want to pay to upgrade or replace and they are using no fitting the story as an excuse. Nobody has been able to explain how it doesn't fit the story yet.

Animaniac93-98

Nobody has been able to explain how it doesn't fit the story yet.

How is "does not fit more serious tone" not an explanation of how it fits the story? I agree with WDI on this one. The tone set by the new attraction sign and Caribbean Plaza music loop would not fit (or even be achieved) with the excessive squawking of a "barker bird" IMO.

And I'm sure it cost $ to move the bird to DtD and make a new set of mechanics to make him work there since they didn't take the old ones with him, but hey let's just bash TDO! :rolleyes:

And to show I'm not a DGINA (Doom and Gloomer In Name Only) I agree that the well scene scipt is pointless and the old one would work better with the new storyline.

Figment632

Original Poster
How is "does not fit more serious tone" not an explanation of how it fits the story? I agree with WDI on this one. The tone set by the new attraction sign and Caribbean Plaza music loop would not fit (or even be achieved) with the excessive squawking of a "barker bird" IMO.

And I'm sure it cost $ to move the bird to DtD and make a new set of mechanics to make him work there since they didn't take the old ones with him, but hey let's just bash TDO! :rolleyes:

And to show I'm not a DGINA (Doom and Gloomer In Name Only) I agree that the well scene scipt is pointless and the old one would work better with the new storyline.

So how does the parrot still fit the theme in DL?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So how does the parrot still fit the theme in DL?
They are different parrots. The one at DL looks like Cottons parrot and not the whimsical parrot that is Peg leg Pete. He also just squawks an occasional Yo Ho and does not have the full barker script that Pete has.

Peg Leg Pete at WDW.
123019823_e12efa2481.jpg

Parrot at DL
pirates-map-web.jpg

Figment632

Original Poster
They are different parrots. The one at DL looks like Cottons parrot and not the whimsical parrot that is Peg leg Pete. He also just squawks an occasional Yo Ho and does not have the full barker script that Pete has.

Peg Leg Pete at WDW.
123019823_e12efa2481.jpg

Parrot at DL
pirates-map-web.jpg

So change the script!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom