Possible Frontierland expansion

Seabasealpha1

Actual love :) You should see all the improvements that are going on in Tomorrowland as we speak.
See...one of my main problems with tomorrowland, is that I notice the pavement too much. I notice the crappy concrete work and the things that are falling apart/badly maintained. I never feel like I'm escaping into a realm...I feel like I'm visiting a run-down section of Kings Island...

But yes, I'll have to check out that thread...

Turtle

An alternate universe where the Lone Ranger was a smash hit and in this alternate universe just about now we'd be receiving a Lone Ranger overlay on Big Thunder Mountain.

mm121

map i made a few years ago showing how many attractions could be fit into the MK by adding an outer "loop"

the area in black north of new fantasy land would be like a land for villans built mostly indoors due to the firework zone.

MK Ultimate expansion

magic kingdom ultimate expansion (1).jpg

Last edited:

mrsWarren14

With all of the success of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (IP), you would think that there would be larger presence in the works. Especially with the success of the area at Shanghai.

tl77

Will Western River Expedition finally be brought to the park?

Maybe if they make a Western River Movie... which they could easily do, the ride was supposed to be a kind of musical about a female sheriff and borrowed a lot of ideas from the movie musicals of Cat Ballou starring Jane Fonda and the film version of Oklahoma!
wremdart16a.jpg

TeriofTerror

Maybe if they make a Western River Movie... which they could easily do, the ride was supposed to be a kind of musical about a female sheriff and borrowed a lot of ideas from the movie musicals of Cat Ballou starring Jane Fonda and the film version of Oklahoma!
wremdart16a.jpg
Let's not forget Calamity Jane - that film has legitimate ties to The Golden Horseshoe! :)

tl77

Let's not forget Calamity Jane - that film has legitimate ties to The Golden Horseshoe! :)
That Golden/Diamond Horseshoe show was great, and something else that relates to concept art from the Western River Ride. Disney had a lot of great cowboy/western related films and shorts back in the day, the full version of the Pecos Bill short is introduced by Roy Rodgers standing in a animated landscape, plus Disney had a series of animated shorts about coyotes who "howl all night and prowl all day" and all the Davy Crockett stuff still holds up... TCM ran "Davy Crockett and the River Pirates" recently with Mike Fink, that stuff was great.

They should really do another live action/animation musical again like "Mary Poppins" or "Bed-knobs and Broomsticks", but set in the old west? bring back some of the Golden/Diamond Horseshoe stuff... that'd be great. That new Pete's Dragon was pretty good, but it could've been more fun, plus the west has so many differnt types of music assicated with it from the Roy Rogers "Singing Cowboys" to the Sergio Leone/Ennio Morricone/Clint Eastwood music ...there's so much potential for a western musical

Matt_Black

That Golden/Diamond Horseshoe show was great, and something else that relates to concept art from the Western River Ride. Disney had a lot of great cowboy/western related films and shorts back in the day, the full version of the Pecos Bill short is introduced by Roy Rodgers standing in a animated landscape, plus Disney had a series of animated shorts about coyotes who "howl all night and prowl all day" and all the Davy Crockett stuff still holds up... TCM ran "Davy Crockett and the River Pirates" recently with Mike Fink, that stuff was great.

They should really do another live action/animation musical again like "Mary Poppins" or "Bed-knobs and Broomsticks", but set in the old west? bring back some of the Golden/Diamond Horseshoe stuff... that'd be great. That new Pete's Dragon was pretty good, but it could've been more fun, plus the west has so many differnt types of music assicated with it from the Roy Rogers "Singing Cowboys" to the Sergio Leone/Ennio Morricone/Clint Eastwood music ...there's so much potential for a western musical

I don't think Disney is going to try another western anytime soon. In the past 20 years, they've done all of two, Home on the Range and The Lone Ranger, and both were notorious flops.

Now, one of their subsidiary studios DOES have a good chance to pull something like that off- Marvel. While most famous for superheroes, they do have a fairly sizable stable of western characters. And since DC whiffed it on Jonah Hex, the only really famous example from the "Distinguished Competition", Marvel has a clear shot at a decent adaptation of a comic western property.

One can argue that the Marvel Western characters are too obscure, but remember, Marvel made hits out of Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man. And, of course, there's always the Netflix route.

MotherOfBirds

There's nothing wrong with a western setting. The problem with HotR and Lone Ranger was that they were bad films, not where they took place. HotR was formulaic to a fault, had celebrity-voice-itis, and clearly wasn't made with much care. Ranger was ill-conceived from the start. It wasn't made because someone had a story to tell, but because they wanted to keep milking the giant, Depp-shaped cow.

LotR was made less than a decade after an endless parade of high-fantasy flops, and one could have argued in 2000 that the high fantasy genre just didn't work with audiences anymore. It was never the genre. It was the quality of the films and the stories that was lacking.

At this point, trying to launch another western franchise would be a wasted effort because it would be made out of the desire to shoehorn the property into a theme park. They could try implementing a heartfelt tribute to something old, or (gasp) make an original attraction with an original story.

MotherOfBirds

The problem with the latter, of course, is that in the current Disney corporate climate, such a move is highly unlikely.
Which I find a bit bizarre, considering in the last decade or two they have made so many original attractions for overseas parks that very highly regarded (Mystic Manor, JttCotE, Phantom Manor, ToT at TDS) and even a couple stateside that are going like gangbusters despite their neglect.

Matt_Black

Which I find a bit bizarre, considering in the last decade or two they have made so many original attractions for overseas parks that very highly regarded (Mystic Manor, JttCotE, Phantom Manor, ToT at TDS) and even a couple stateside that are going like gangbusters despite their neglect.

Well, remember that in regards to the overseas parks, Disney is not the sole owner in many cases. The Imagineers can just go to the Tokyo Holding Company (or whatever they're called) and pitch the idea and get the budget approved. It's like when you're a kid and mom says you can't have a cookie, so you go and ask dad and he's like, "Well, sure! Get me one too."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom