Possible Frontierland expansion

tl77

I don't think Disney is going to try another western anytime soon. In the past 20 years, they've done all of two, Home on the Range and The Lone Ranger, and both were notorious flops.

Now, one of their subsidiary studios DOES have a good chance to pull something like that off- Marvel. While most famous for superheroes, they do have a fairly sizable stable of western characters. And since DC whiffed it on Jonah Hex, the only really famous example from the "Distinguished Competition", Marvel has a clear shot at a decent adaptation of a comic western property.

One can argue that the Marvel Western characters are too obscure, but remember, Marvel made hits out of Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man. And, of course, there's always the Netflix route.

The new HBO show West World is pretty amazing and most anticipated show of the season, not a straight western and certainly not "Disney" subject matter, but the player piano on the show plays "western sounding" versions of contemporary music like The Rolling Stones "Paint it Black", and Soundgarden's "Blackhole Sun" ...zombies made a big come back thanks to The Walking Dead so maybe cowboys are due

...but the "Musical" aspect is what you missed here, not a lot of catchy tunes in The Lone Ranger, but this is what Disney used to be great at, pairing hit songs with their fantasy films... and then turning it all into theme park attractions ...instead of just buying IP's

Princess Leia

The new HBO show West World is pretty amazing and most anticipated show of the season, not a straight western and certainly not "Disney" subject matter, but the player piano on the show plays "western sounding" versions of contemporary music like The Rolling Stones "Paint it Black", and Soundgarden's "Blackhole Sun" ...zombies made a big come back thanks to The Walking Dead so maybe cowboys are due
Both episodes of WestWorld have made me wonder how soon it will be before Disney makes a human AA realistic enough to fool people. The Wicked Witch over in DHS is probably the closest so far.

...but the "Musical" aspect is what you missed here, not a lot of catchy tunes in The Lone Ranger, but this is what Disney used to be great at, pairing hit songs with their fantasy films... and then turning it all into theme park attractions ...instead of just buying IP's

OMG yes! I went down a rabbit hole this weekend watching the 1973 WestWorld and the 2nd episode of the new show. And all I could think was that I wish Disney would get some new ideas for a Frontier Land expansion. Maybe Disney's people will get inspired watching the show lol - at least family friendly stuff.

Bocabear

OMG yes! I went down a rabbit hole this weekend watching the 1973 WestWorld and the 2nd episode of the new show. And all I could think was that I wish Disney would get some new ideas for a Frontier Land expansion. Maybe Disney's people will get inspired watching the show lol - at least family friendly stuff.
ok, what is the family friendly part of WestWorld? lol

yensidtlaw1969

Both episodes of WestWorld have made me wonder how soon it will be before Disney makes a human AA realistic enough to fool people. The Wicked Witch over in DHS is probably the closest so far.
Mr. Lincoln at Disneyland is even more impressive. The level of realism in his facial movements is astonishing, and the rest of his body was wisely programmed with enough restraint to not break the sustained illusion that this man is really here speaking. He puts even The Wicked Witch to shame, and I do believe that says something.

Bocabear

This area needs a family friendly dark ride... something on Pirates in Shanghi level.... more then another thrill ride.
But isn't Splash Mountain sort of filling that need? and as far as a big thrill ride, Big Thunder is a pretty mild ride... Are you saying more that Frontierland needs an Omnimover attraction? or a boat ride with less thrills than Splash?

Princess Leia

But isn't Splash Mountain sort of filling that need? and as far as a big thrill ride, Big Thunder is a pretty mild ride... Are you saying more that Frontierland needs an Omnimover attraction? or a boat ride with less thrills than Splash?
Probably a ride with less thrills than Splash. While it's tame compared to some 'splash' boat rides, some people (like my mom) can't ride it due to back problems.

clemmo

I'd personally love a tame boat ride or omnimover going through some of the old tall tales of the wild west Pecos Bill, Paul Bunyan, etc

rreading

I'm sure that this has been said time and again in this thread, but man - the idea of adding more to MK right now seems absurd. It's already the busiest park in the world. They need to buttress the other parks, and make them offset the MK crowds. Once those are carrying their own weight, then add onto MK. I do want the MK looking great for its 50th, but drawing in more people seems untenable.

Kamikaze

I'm sure that this has been said time and again in this thread, but man - the idea of adding more to MK right now seems absurd. It's already the busiest park in the world. They need to buttress the other parks, and make them offset the MK crowds. Once those are carrying their own weight, then add onto MK. I do want the MK looking great for its 50th, but drawing in more people seems untenable.

Its not going to be 'the busiest park in the world' once Shanghai has a full year of attendance.

MK capacity went WAY up when they opened FLE. Of course they are going to capitalize on that capacity. If this was Anaheim, they would have done so already - but since MK operates at Florida speed, takes longer for them to do so.

rreading

Its not going to be 'the busiest park in the world' once Shanghai has a full year of attendance.

MK capacity went WAY up when they opened FLE. Of course they are going to capitalize on that capacity. If this was Anaheim, they would have done so already - but since MK operates at Florida speed, takes longer for them to do so.

But you still have those folks moving up and down Main Street, watching the parades/fireworks, eating at the restaurants... Even though there is now room for hundreds of people to stand in the line for 7DMT and there is the potential for many to be on the Little Mermaid ride/Dumbo, it still makes the experience of the park less enjoyable coming and going.

Princess Leia

I just wish Disney would do both. No matter what, MK is going to be the busiest park (until the first two months that the Star Wars Experience is open- DHS is going to be at its own full capacity, whatever that is). When people travel to Orlando and only have one park to go to, they're going to pick the Magic Kingdom.

What I wish Disney would do is expand AK, DHS, and Epcot, as well as add some attractions to the Magic Kingdom to offset some of the crazier wait times. While I haven't been on the SDMT, from what I've been told, there is no reason for it to have the crazy wait times that it gets. Peter Pan is the same (the lines are always so ridiculous that I haven't been on it since the 90s, no joke). By adding new attractions (at the same time as adding new attractions to the other parks), capacity grows. Maybe there wouldn't be a 2 hour wait for SDMT, Splash, Pirates, or BTMR.

Last edited:

tl77

New AA rides wouldn't be bad, but I miss the days when the rides have theme songs... Tiki Room, Pirates, Splash, Country Bears, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Carousel of Progress, all have Memorable music along nearly with all the original Epcot Pavilions and "Golden Wings" at The American Adventure. Plus the live theater shows Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast at the Studios, and Festival of the Lion King and the Nemo Musical are some of the most popular attractions at those parks

The Diamond Horseshoe was such a fun aspect of Frontierland, and The Hoop Dee Doo Revue is still going strong over at Fort Wilderness, it seems like that musical is not only something missing today, but it's also part of what makes the classic rides timeless and gives them staying power over the decades... I think if they're going to add something to the Magic Kingdom it should be something that lasts

Kamikaze

But you still have those folks moving up and down Main Street, watching the parades/fireworks, eating at the restaurants... Even though there is now room for hundreds of people to stand in the line for 7DMT and there is the potential for many to be on the Little Mermaid ride/Dumbo, it still makes the experience of the park less enjoyable coming and going.

Thats why they put in the bypasses.

At peak, yes, it sucks, but it always has.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom