Possible Frontierland expansion

britain

TL;DR:
So if Disney decides to theme a new Frontierland attraction to a franchise, I won't blame them. I'll live with it. The attraction can still be great. Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland was originally a generic castle, but Walt and his people understood the potential economic value of synergy, and thus Sleeping Beauty was shoehorned in there. If layering in a franchise on top of an already-good idea for an attraction causes the "masses" to take more notice of that attraction (like Harry Potter in Wizarding World rather than a generic Wizardland), then it's win-win for everyone. It's all about execution. Even if I don't care about the particular franchise that Disney chooses, at least I get a new attraction that's fun. The success of that attraction will encourage Disney to spend more money, I'll be happy I get to enjoy a new e-ticket, and the lemmings will be happy that they get to flock to an attraction based on that popular franchise. Because it's those lemmings that drive the theme park money machine, not the World-of-Motion-loving Disney fanatics like you or me. When Disney (or Universal) finds a way to please both the lemmings AND those of us with finer sensibilities, we all win. If franchises are what it takes these days to get $2.8B approvals, then I'll live with that over the alternative.

Excellent points - I agree. I have no problem with using popular IP as long as the end result is still great theming and a great ride. My only concern is when there's a need (like "we've GOT to have another people-eater to take the pressure off of other attractions" or "this area is SO out of date, it needs refreshing!") and that need goes unmet simply because Disney keeps striking out on franchise attempts.

FigmentJedi

I love this idea, but for a North American section of DAK.
I actually pictured it as the anchor of a reworked Camp Minnie Mickey. Replace the Adirondacks setting with Brownstone National Park from the Humphrey shorts, bring in exhibits featuring North American animals mixed alongside photo-op vignettes with characters like the Bambi crew or Fox and the Hound, have Humphrey Bear and the Bigfoot from Goofy Movie roaming around and it could be pretty fun.

ryan1

If the expansion is restricted to Frontierland I'd much rather them create a dark ride/thrill ride of some sort.

My first thought is something involving a wagon train to keep the theme of the land. You could incorporate prairie scenes and old west town scenes and add thrill ride aspects, evading a buffalo stampede and/or bandits chasing you (I'd say Indians but that would never get approved in the PC world.). You could use the same ride system as Radiator Springs racers since people seem to love that ride and it would keep development costs down.

I personally don't need another water ride where I get really wet. I don't like walking around soaked and, even though it is FL, it does tend to get chilly at night and in the winter. As a local chilly is relative so most Northerners are still in shorts and tank tops when I'm in jeans during Oct-Nov so I get where they might not have a problem with it.

dstrawn9889

If the expansion is restricted to Frontierland I'd much rather them create a dark ride/thrill ride of some sort.

My first thought is something involving a wagon train to keep the theme of the land. You could incorporate prairie scenes and old west town scenes and add thrill ride aspects, evading a buffalo stampede and/or bandits chasing you (I'd say Indians but that would never get approved in the PC world.). You could use the same ride system as Radiator Springs racers since people seem to love that ride and it would keep development costs down.

I personally don't need another water ride where I get really wet. I don't like walking around soaked and, even though it is FL, it does tend to get chilly at night and in the winter. As a local chilly is relative so most Northerners are still in shorts and tank tops when I'm in jeans during Oct-Nov so I get where they might not have a problem with it.
and halfway through the wagon train ride you get a BSOD with the words, you have died of Dysentery.

dhall

Other than being an Indian, what does Pocahontas have to do with Liberty Square and Frontierland? She was a Virginia Indian that lived two centuries before the events in Liberty Square and the MK Frontierland is Wild West frontier not New World frontier.
Actually, she makes perfect sense. As you move counter-clockwise around the Rivers of America, you're moving backward in time. Just north of the Haunted Mansion should be the pre-colonial/early settlement period. A little farther around should be wild unsettled areas (which would be a nice buffer up against BTM).

El Grupo

It's time for TWDC to throw caution to the wind. If I recall correctly, Disney collaborated with Mel Brooks on the original concept for what became the TOT.

Maybe Iger can negotiate the park rights for "Blazing Saddles". A related attraction is certain to garner some considerable press. ;)

Unplugged

It's time for TWDC to throw caution to the wind. If I recall correctly, Disney collaborated with Mel Brooks on the original concept for what became the TOT.

Maybe Iger can negotiate the park rights for "Blazing Saddles". A related attraction is certain to garner some considerable press. ;)

This'll be short pardner, so "Pardon me while I whip this out"!

I like that idea (in my own sick & twisted way)! There's old railways, quick sand, gun fights, horseback riding, everything one would need for thrills! No worries about the non-PC aspects. After all, WDW still has Splash Mountain which has roots (no pun intended) in Song of the South. o_O

Matt_Black

I like that idea (in my own sick & twisted way)! There's old railways, quick sand, gun fights, horseback riding, everything one would need for thrills! No worries about the non-PC aspects.

Yeah, except people today don't get satire. I've heard Mel Brooks called an "anti-Semite" by kids, which is... It's just...

Yzmafacepalm.jpg

jt04

Frontierland is ripe for a complete rework. And it would be money well spent. Only BTMR, CBJ and the shops/food venues are up to par IMO. Everything else could use an update. Splash could be rethemed on the exterior and reimagined on the interior. TSI has seen its better days. And docking the riverboat could serve to bring back keel boats or canoes. Add a new mini-land with a major attraction and call it perfect.

PS-This is the MK BTW, not Universal.

Capsin4

Actually, she makes perfect sense. As you move counter-clockwise around the Rivers of America, you're moving backward in time. Just north of the Haunted Mansion should be the pre-colonial/early settlement period. A little farther around should be wild unsettled areas (which would be a nice buffer up against BTM).

And what year would the Haunted Mansion fall within? :joyfull:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Frontierland is ripe for a complete rework. And it would be money well spent. Only BTMR, CBJ and the shops/food venues are up to par IMO. Everything else could use an update. Splash could be rethemed on the exterior and reimagined on the interior. TSI has seen its better days. And docking the riverboat could serve to bring back keel boats or canoes. Add a new mini-land with a major attraction and call it perfect.

PS-This is the MK BTW, not Universal.
JT - You just leave Splash alone, please and thank you. T'aint nothing wrong with it, exactly the way it is!

Mouse_Trap

Please point to one single solitary example of anything like that. Ever.

Sorry if someone's already said this - I've not caught up on the whole thread yet.

Isn't the hub concretification project a prime example?

They've filled in an existing waterway with dirt, concreted over the top and added some astroturf.
I'm not saying it would appear, but there certainly is a president.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom