Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

HMF

If the gondolas move behind France, will the Eiffel Tower need to be relocated in order for it's forced perspective to keep working, or shall the effect essentially be ruined? Or will the gondolas not interfere?
When has something like Forced perspective stopped Disney before?
Frawn%3F.jpg

caravan_soarin.jpg

IMG_3322-1024x683.jpg

Bartattack

To those who have experienced the original ride in Paris, what worked best, and what are it's weaknesses? What tweaks would you hope to see, assuming the Epcot ride will be mostly similar, but perhaps with some differences?

The only thing I wish they could adress is the way you can see the bottom of the screens... If they could somehow integrate the screens with decor elements, that would be a plus. Other than that, I think it's a nice fun ride.
I also liked the 'rooftops' queue...

I guess they will theme the pathway to the actual building like they themed the outside queue in the DLP version...A Paris market style roof...

place_de_remy_ratatouille_ride_queue-680x510.jpg

Colter

Has it been brought up that the permit encompasses the entire vacant lot between France and Morroco? I was wondering if it's a possibility that the Ratatouille ride AND a Spain pavallion are in the works? I have always heard that Spain is on the short list and obviously that is the geographic spot for it on the World Showcase.

lazyboy97o

Has it been brought up that the permit encompasses the entire vacant lot between France and Morroco? I was wondering if it's a possibility that the Ratatouille ride AND a Spain pavallion are in the works? I have always heard that Spain is on the short list and obviously that is the geographic spot for it on the World Showcase.
World Showcase is not organized by geography and there won’t be a lot of space left once the showbuilding is built. The permit is for a wide area because it is a water management permit.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Spain wouldn't go here.

Assuming it went anywhere of course.

Ripken10

To those who have experienced the original ride in Paris, what worked best, and what are it's weaknesses? What tweaks would you hope to see, assuming the Epcot ride will be mostly similar, but perhaps with some differences?
Just was on the ride last week for the first time while in Paris on a honeymoon. Very enjoyable ride in my opinion. My wife felt the same, it will certainly be enjoyed by a the large majority. Obviously it was popular while we were there still, and from our perspective, even there it is still very well received. That being said, If it is indeed a clone, as which seems to be what insiders are saying, I can see why. Why do more when it already is such a popular ride that will do exactly what (I think) the Disney higher ups hope it will in this park. IMO

Castle Cake Apologist

The integration of the screens was pretty poor to me. They just kinda... end at the floor. Plus- the floor itself seemed super weirdly reflective to me, so it was painfully obvious that it was just a giant screen. Moving props would be nice, too. Maybe a better motion base on the vehicle. It should be "reacting" to the action on the screen.

It's honestly an attraction with a lot of potential, and one that I'm not terribly upset over being in Epcot, but it could definitely use some tweaking.

EDIT: I should rephrase - I'm only not terribly upset over this coming to Epcot if Impressions is staying. I apologize, as I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, but is the film sticking around? If the educational elements are being removed from the pavilion completely, ala FEA, then I am less okay with this.

Last edited:

HMF

The integration of the screens was pretty poor to me. The just kinda... end at the floor, plus the floor seemed super reflective to me, so it was painfully obvious that it was just a giant screen. Moving props would be nice, too. Maybe a better motion base on the vehicle. It should be "reacting" to the action on the screen.

It's honestly an attraction with a lot of potential, and one that I'm not terribly upset over being in Epcot, but it could definitely use some tweaking.
Regarding screens, It's Fitzgerald, what do you expect?

Rodan75

The integration of the screens was pretty poor to me. They just kinda... end at the floor. Plus- the floor itself seemed super weirdly reflective to me, so it was painfully obvious that it was just a giant screen. Moving props would be nice, too. Maybe a better motion base on the vehicle. It should be "reacting" to the action on the screen.

EDIT: I should rephrase - I'm only not terribly upset over this coming to Epcot if Impressions is staying. I apologize, as I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, but is the film sticking around? If the educational elements are being removed from the pavilion completely, ala FEA, then I am less okay with this.

Seeing what can be done with screens in Shanghai Pirates and Na'vi River Journey is pretty fantastic, it would be disappointing if they don't fix some of those screen edge issues for Rat in Epcot.

RSoxNo1

That's not really a prediction. Fans always want good attractions in other parks cloned to the one they go to. Knowing that Rat has an exclusivity period at which point it can be cloned to other parks isn't an insider's leak that they're actually going to do it and have plans where to put it.
It's relevant information in the life cycle of a rumor. If you remember at the time, there was some thought that Disney would announce Frozen and Ratatouille at the same time.

Castle Cake Apologist

Seeing what can be done with screens in Shanghai Pirates and Na'vi River Journey is pretty fantastic, it would be disappointing if they don't fix some of those screen edge issues for Rat in Epcot.

Exactly. If screens are used to enhance the experience, but not take it over, then they are more than welcome and allow WDI to make things that wouldn't be possible otherwise. However, attractions should still have richly layered and detailed physical sets working in seamless conjunction with the screen images. Battle for Sunken Treasure, Spiderman, Mystic Manor, and Na'Vi River Journey are great examples of what can be done with mixed media.

With rides like Rat, the screens become the star. This is obviously hyperbole to a certain degree as I only feel this way about a very very very small number of attractions, but you could get pretty close to the same experience from watching a video of the ride. Honestly.

I really hope they make some changes to it before bringing it over. I don't have high hopes, but hopes nonetheless.

Bocabear

The problem with adding set pieces to hide the screen edges on this attraction is that the screens contain the motion simulation for the ride...it would look silly to have fixed set pieces around the screen that is attempting to make you feel like you are moving forward...

Princess Leia

The problem with adding set pieces to hide the screen edges on this attraction is that the screens contain the motion simulation for the ride...it would look silly to have fixed set pieces around the screen that is attempting to make you feel like you are moving forward...
Didn't think about that, hmm..

RSoxNo1

I'd want something like an infinity edge where it curves down to the ground as opposed to stopping at a right angle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom