Port Orleans to test self check-in

seahawk7

I love this option, almost every time I get one of their "how did you enjoy your stay" surveys after staying on property this is one of my suggestions. I do not have any problem at all with the CMs that work the front desks at all, they do a great job by and large, but I've been down there many many times and it is unlikely they are going to give me any information I don't already know. When I arrive it is after spending a lot of time traveling and I just want to start by vacation as soon as possible, get cleaned up, to get something to eat, and start unwinding. My most recent trip in late December I was a concierge guest at Poly, check in took over an hour AND they messed up our entitlements package rather severely! For those who consider checking in part of the experience more power to you, I will be glad to stay out of your way. For me, give me an app where I can check in on line and just like at the movie theater pick out my room from a graphical display of rooms available in my class.
To me, this would be ideal. I think a lot of us who travel to WDW frequently would want this option. I f we book our own dining reservations and fastpasses why can't we select the room we want if available? I find that I sometimes know more than the cast members and I'm sure you guys do as well.

Dwarful

IF they keep the traditional check-in process I won't be too upset, although I am not a fan of anything that might put people out of work. I don't do online check in and I wouldn't do this...but I wouldn't tell anyone they couldn't have this option.

Kman101

It's called an option. I sincerely doubt you'll one day enter an empty lobby and be forced to check in at kiosks. Could it happen? Sure, but I just don't see that happening. I think it's a nice option, and maybe at Disney it could result in less folks, but it's like self check outs, people freaked about them but I often see (and have worked them myself when I was working at a big box store) numerous folks working them. People still need assistance and will continue to need assistance.

Do you see all the people hanging around FP+ kiosks. Talk about overkill on assistance. Like I said, I just don't ever see huge cuts in staffing because of things like this. Again, we know Disney likes budget cutting, but I don't think that's the case here. With some of the guests I see who are totally oblivious, they would be setting themselves up for disaster if that's all they offer.

Mammymouse

How is it different than DVC online checkin? Even though I do the DVC online it still means I need to go to the front desk anyway and go through about the same procedure as regular checkin (I've done it both ways). And we are frequent visitors so it can be almost annoying to have to go through the same 'ole stuff, especially if the CM is not knowledgeable, or is even borderline rude. I was really shocked with that one!

Kman101

I think it's different than online check-in because with that option you still have to go to the counter and talk to someone, but I think self check-in means bypassing the interaction with a castmember totally.

mm121

with this how does someone get their parking pass/ welcome packet?

Disney should watch Hotel Impossible. Guests who see and talk with employees more often, especially within the first five minutes of a trip, are happier and more likely to come back.

definitely agree the hotel's he's been to that do non person check in are terrible.

psukardi

And here's what they don't get...great experiences.

Being greeted and taken care of is one of the best parts.

"Oh, we don't care enough about you to even talk to you, here's a kiosk, have fun..."

Yeah, that doesn't speak "world class service" to me.

Here wait in line only to have a CM go over things you already know....I don't need them to bring out the map and show me where my room is. I know where it is. I know what extended magic hours are. This isn't world class service to me, this is a waste of my time and I want to get to my room

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Here wait in line only to have a CM go over things you already know....I don't need them to bring out the map and show me where my room is. I know where it is. I know what extended magic hours are. This isn't world class service to me, this is a waste of my time and I want to get to my room
And, what if you don't? How is a kiosk going to realize that and respond?

Now, if the CM is as programmed in their responses as a kiosk, I'd agree.

But even the most advanced computers can't give great customer service. They just serve.

asialeigh

There are not going to be kiosks. You will do online check in and set up either text or email notifications when your room is ready.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
There are not going to be kiosks. You will do online check in and set up either text or email notifications when your room is ready.
Even worse.

What about desk requests? What about being ushered into your vacation?

Now I'm assigned my paddock by a machine, and told to go there by a machine.

Though, none of this surprises me considering the deplorable state of the rooms and food court at POFQ my last stay even AFTER I mentioned it to the front desk.

They are cheapening the experience.

asialeigh

Even worse.

Though, none of this surprises me considering the deplorable state of the rooms and food court at POFQ my last stay even AFTER I mentioned it to the front desk.

Good thing you will always have the option of a regular check in.

draybook

Disney should watch Hotel Impossible. Guests who see and talk with employees more often, especially within the first five minutes of a trip, are happier and more likely to come back.

That would only be accurate if every single guest in the history of any resort was quizzed. Kind of like those "polls" you hear about on tv where xx% of Americans feel some way about an issue.

We have limited exposure to POFQ staff and we're as happy as pigs in mud and we're going back for our fourth visit to that resort. All we need is the mousekeeping and the food court and we're content. That's not to say I won't check-in at the front desk, as it is nice to see a happy face upon arrival.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That would only be accurate if every single guest in the history of any resort was quizzed. Kind of like those "polls" you hear about on tv where xx% of Americans feel some way about an issue.

We have limited exposure to POFQ staff and we're as happy as pigs in mud and we're going back for our fourth visit to that resort. All we need is the mousekeeping and the food court and we're content. That's not to say I won't check-in at the front desk, as it is nice to see a happy face upon arrival.
They always have the old man opening the door in costume (on shifts...so it's not a consistent experience.

But, they also have a food court with roaches and general nasty conditions.

Nubs70

Even worse.

But did the front desk wish you a "MAGICal Day"?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Except I work for one of the resorts testing this and I do know. This is also just a test.
No. You know what is being rolled out. You know the impact it has on your daily business. That is powerful, but far from understanding what the long term impact is.

It doesn't mean you design systems like this for a living, nor does it mean you understand them or their long term advantages or disadvantages.

And, the fact you accept them, because it probably makes your life easier, probably doesn't speak well for the state of "guest service" at Disney at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom