Port Orleans to test self check-in

eblaz37

This is great use of the new system.
My only concern is that this takes away the hospitality side of things. However, I would assume that the type of guests participating in this sort of feature are the "no frills" type of hotel guest, meaning, they don't really care how friendly the staff is, they just want the bed and shower clean and they're happy.

Also, I see that the welcome packets are not being sent to rooms in advance of guest arrival... I would think that this is something they should consider adding?

The website link above says 3 other resort hotels are participating as well-- anyone know which 3 these are?

shipley731

As someone that stays at Port Orleans frequently, I would love this. On a recent trip, I got checked in by someone who was fairly new & even after telling her that we had stayed at Port Orleans many times before wanted to explain all of the features of the resort. I know she was trying to do her job well, but about a third of the things she said weren't correct.

ewensell3

This is great use of the new system.
My only concern is that this takes away the hospitality side of things. However, I would assume that the type of guests participating in this sort of feature are the "no frills" type of hotel guest, meaning, they don't really care how friendly the staff is, they just want the bed and shower clean and they're happy.

Or for those of us who visit POR/FQ often enough to recite the welcome spiel from memory. The only info I need is a current entertainment schedule and maybe a "what's new since your last visit". Otherwise gimme the keys and parking tag and I'm good to go.

MarkTwain

Still seems weird to me, reminds me of self-checkout at big-box convenience stores. Sure the "get in, get out" mentality works okay at Walmart, but at a resort I'm spending $200 a night to stay in, it seems like I would want a high degree of professional guest service to be a part of the experience. To me the check-in is a part of that, but to each their own I suppose. Looks like I'm in the minority on this one.

rael ramone

My concern is this:

When I reserve and pay for water view, I want *real* water view. I've lost track about how many times that I was told 'you're right by the pool' or 'you're right by the fountain'....(last trip I called 5 days in advance so it wasn't an issue). It's a reason that I've never did online checkin. If I thought 'pool view' was good enough, I'd save that coin and go to Days Inn or something like that.... I worry if the ability to move from an 'unacceptable' room to an acceptable one will be compromised...

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I hope this goes well. As much as I like the warm/fuzzy feeling I get when I'm checking into my Disney resort...sometimes I just want to get my stuff and go to my room. I like having the self check-in option.

Slowjack

I sorta put this in the same category as the automated spiel at Living with the Land -- which is better than a poorly delivered live spiel, but not nearly as good as the enthusiastic live spiels that the ride started with. Automated check-in is an acknowledgement that Disney can't get enough top-level desk staff, either because they're just not in the local job pool or Disney isn't willing to pay enough, and for that reason I think this news is a bit sad. This is the same company that when a ride is closed, puts a cast member -- or several -- out front to answer questions because they figure that's a better experience than reading a sign. I understand that for people who have been to the same resort many times, the pleasure of personal service may have worn off, but I doubt that's the only people who will be using these kiosks if they become permanent, and that will allow Disney to lower service standards even more.

DougK

My concern is this:

When I reserve and pay for water view, I want *real* water view. I've lost track about how many times that I was told 'you're right by the pool' or 'you're right by the fountain'....(last trip I called 5 days in advance so it wasn't an issue). It's a reason that I've never did online checkin. If I thought 'pool view' was good enough, I'd save that coin and go to Days Inn or something like that.... I worry if the ability to move from an 'unacceptable' room to an acceptable one will be compromised...

The comment I am about to make is not meant to reflect upon the OP personally, but I have to say I have never understood paying for a water view at Port Orleans. It would be different if there were balconies or patios in your room, or if the rooms had expansive floor to ceiling windows, but even with a water view room you really cannot see the water except from the outside of your room. To each his/her own but I have never understood why anyone would pay extra money for this. On the other hand I have paid (excessively!) for great views at Deluxe hotels with balconies and I thought it was well worth it.

DougK

My concern is this:

The comment I am about to make is not meant to reflect upon the OP personally, but I have to say I have never understood paying for a water view at Port Orleans. It would be different if there were balconies or patios in your room, or if the rooms had expansive floor to ceiling windows, but even with a water view room you really cannot see the water except from the outside of your room. To each his/her own but I have never understood why anyone would pay extra money for this. On the other hand I have paid (excessively!) for great views at Deluxe hotels with balconies and I thought it was well worth it.

midwest_mice

I for one prefer the face to face check in. Yes, we will do the online check in, but we still have face time with a cast member. To me, that is the official start of our vacation when we get our welcome pack and map showing where our room is.

rael ramone

To be perfectly exact I was thinking about CSR (which I do enjoy when I look out over the lake), and the article mentioned other 'unnamed' places are having this test as well, but my concern is this spreading and becoming permanent.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I sorta put this in the same category as the automated spiel at Living with the Land -- which is better than a poorly delivered live spiel, but not nearly as good as the enthusiastic live spiels that the ride started with. Automated check-in is an acknowledgement that Disney can't get enough top-level desk staff, either because they're just not in the local job pool or Disney isn't willing to pay enough, and for that reason I think this news is a bit sad. This is the same company that when a ride is closed, puts a cast member -- or several -- out front to answer questions because they figure that's a better experience than reading a sign. I understand that for people who have been to the same resort many times, the pleasure of personal service may have worn off, but I doubt that's the only people who will be using these kiosks if they become permanent, and that will allow Disney to lower service standards even more.
Or...guests have been requesting this feature and Disney is trying to give them what they are asking for.

Arty Cordova

The one thing I like to do at check in is roll the dice and see if I can get a free upgrade. It usually happens 1 every 4 trips. Also if the room isn't ready I like to ask a few questions to see If I want to upgrade or change to something that is ready. As long as the front desk is still there as a customer service center, i'll be happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom