Polynesian Refurb

tikiman

As of this morning I have unconfirmed info that the new room design may be on hold until January. Im not sure how true this is yet but I am trying to find out.

Yensid1974

Does that mean the Luau is going away for good? I know the food isn't superb and the show is a little dated but it was still fun. If they want to replace with something more traditional with a better location that would be cool too.

Tom

Beta Return
This is so exciting! I cannot wait for Tikiman's update. What percentage of longhouses do you realistically see being done by next June,edwardtc ?

If things go according to plan, they'll be 100% complete by June 14. Building 11 will be last.

For anyone staying Club Level, Tonga's lounge will undergoing its refurb through mid-October of this year, and Hawaii's will be closed for refurb from early January through the end of February.

alissafalco

On Thursday when we got back to our room in the Samoa building they changed the locks to the new RFID locks. All you do is tap your card to it and the door unlocks. As far as the rooms, I like the decor but I can see how people feel they are too dark. I think partly because the lighting isn't that great. Also, the elevators in Samoa are awful!! I hope they get a refurb also. Not only are they so small that all they can fit is my husband and I and 1 small baby carriage (i have the small umbrella stroller) but they are so banged and beat up looking. The ceiling decor of the elevator looks like its hanging on by a thread. I'll post pics when I get home. The water feature in the lobby really is beautiful and its a shame that they are removing it. We have had a different towel animal when we got back to our room every day except for 1 day in the middle of the week. Inconsistant, but not that big a deal. The worst part by far is the awful GF DVC being built. The view from the Poly beach and pool is terrible now. I started another thread about it.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/gf-dvc-looks-terrible.851094/#post-5142569

pontiacguy84

Really glad that Poly is getting a refurb, but really wanted to stay here on my honeymoon for my future wifes first trip ever to Disney. We decided to go Corondao Springs because I didn't want her first trip to be to a construction zone.

Mickey2minnie1

If things go according to plan, they'll be 100% complete by June 14. Building 11 will be last.

For anyone staying Club Level, Tonga's lounge will undergoing its refurb through mid-October of this year, and Hawaii's will be closed for refurb from early January through the end of February.

What do you think they will do with the lounge area? Any ideas?

mickey2008.1

On Thursday when we got back to our room in the Samoa building they changed the locks to the new RFID locks. All you do is tap your card to it and the door unlocks. As far as the rooms, I like the decor but I can see how people feel they are too dark. I think partly because the lighting isn't that great. Also, the elevators in Samoa are awful!! I hope they get a refurb also. Not only are they so small that all they can fit is my husband and I and 1 small baby carriage (i have the small umbrella stroller) but they are so banged and beat up looking. The ceiling decor of the elevator looks like its hanging on by a thread. I'll post pics when I get home. The water feature in the lobby really is beautiful and its a shame that they are removing it. We have had a different towel animal when we got back to our room every day except for 1 day in the middle of the week. Inconsistant, but not that big a deal. The worst part by far is the awful GF DVC being built. The view from the Poly beach and pool is terrible now. I started another thread about it.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/gf-dvc-looks-terrible.851094/#post-5142569
Removing the water feature in the lobby? Where is this coming from? Confirmation? I miss something?

tikiman

Lets hope I have something to report when I get back. A month or so ago I would have expected to see two buildings being worked on and the new hot tub going in when I visit but as far as I know right now, none of those projects have started. I guess I will find out Saturday. I will be going around the resort and talking to some people. Len Testa and I might walk the resort on Sunday for photos and info for my site and the Unofficial Guide book. Maybe we can sneak into the test rooms ;)
I don’t see them changing the elevators size but I agree they could use some work. It could only be cosmetic without changing the structure and affecting some rooms. I hear the comment about lighting and all I can think is not all buildings are created equal. The rooms in Hawaii have more lighting than you would ever need in the room and bathroom. I think some of the other buildings must have different lighting and I have even heard of the lighting in some buildings that needs to “warm up” before it gets bright. I am not staying in Hawaii this time so maybe I can see how my room compares.
As far as Tonga’s lounge, I was one of the first back into Tonga when it was done with the room design last October and they said they were going to redo the lounge during that time but it was put off a year (that is why it is hard to trust their schedules). They said it was going to be modified to be better situated with some added features and more food items with a new concierge desk. This is the small lounge that is accessible only to suite guests, not the large lounge in the Hawaii longhouse.
As for the GCH water feature, I don’t know all the details about the remodel of the GCH but it needs major work and mention of the removal of the water feature was part of that info. Nothing is confirmed.

ProfSlim

Thanks TikiMan. I would be interested in anything you may learn. I contacted the Poly last week to inquiry about possible room renovation schedules (I know schedules can and do change frequently and sometimes radically so I wasn't expecting much real information) as I'm ready to confirm a trip in May and if the Hawaii longhouse is under construction at that time I want to understand the plans they would have for Club rooms. Anyhow, of course the folks at the Poly had no information to share :)

tikiman

I know how frustrating it is for people planning trips and not knowing. Most of the emails I get lately are about making plans for next year. Unfortunately contacting Disney is not helpful. The resort number goes to an offsite call center so there is no way to actually talk to someone at the resort without knowing one of their private numbers. I know they make it sound like they are answering the phone at the resort but they are not. Even when you call from your room to the front desk you are not calling someone at the resort. They do this so that front desk personnel don’t have to take time answering the phones. So my point in saying all this is that the people you call don’t often know anything about scheduled work to be done. A good example is last year when the pool was closed, the online community knew for months but if you asked reservations they have nothing scheduled and even front desk would tell you they knew of no work being scheduled. They notified people with a letter in their rooms the day before the pool closed. If you ask anyone at reservations for schedules for work on the buildings, pools or any of the other major projects coming up they will tell you nothing is scheduled. I don’t believe they are lying either. They just are not told this information. Most of the workers at the Polynesian are not informed either. Almost everyone that I have talked to there does not know of the future plans or even that the test rooms existed.
I don’t post dates on my site unless I see something from an official source and not just someone telling me something. Even then they often change the dates. I had copies of Disney memos announcing the closure of the pool last year and that date came and went with no pool closure. It happened months later. I am told it is very normal for them to change dates last minute. If they do start late I will expect them to not finish by mid June as expected. They only thing they seem to be sticking to is Hawaii being closed and I am guessing that is because they have already turned away reservations for club level and have booked club level for other dates beyond the construction.
The plans for Hawaii are the same as for the other longhouses. It is getting the new rooms and hallways and the lounge will get an update as well as the concierge desk area.

Hope that helps.

alissafalco

The Poly definitely needs that refurb. This is some of what I saw this past week at the Poly.

The vanity in our bathroom

IMG_7105 by alissafalcowilliams, on Flickr

In the hallway on the way to our room.

IMG_7106 by alissafalcowilliams, on Flickr

The banged up elevators

IMG_7109 by alissafalcowilliams, on Flickr

IMG_7108 by alissafalcowilliams, on Flickr

This puddle of water and sign were there the enitre week outside of Captain Cook's. They could have sent someone to at least sweep the water away.

IMG_7110 by alissafalcowilliams, on Flickr

IMG_7111 by alissafalcowilliams, on Flickr

This is no fault of Poly, but here is the horrible view from the Poly beach. The GF DVC is awful!

IMG_7120 by alissafalcowilliams, on Flickr

IMG_7115 by alissafalcowilliams, on Flickr

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom