Poly lobby - don't change a thang!

dolce20

Original Poster
Ok so now that DVC Villas are officially being built at the Poly, what upgrades will be made at the resort in general and specifically, my beloved lobby/Great Ceremonial House?

There's retro goodness galore there and I would hate to see TOO much change. Additions, yes. A gym, another QS (perhaps a seperate location that ONLY sells Dole Whip so that Capt Cooks can concentrate on hot food).

Who knows what's up at the Poly!? Do tell.

dolce20

Original Poster
I love Tikiman's page but there's not much being told yet other than pool work and the crazy notion of eliminating the water feature in the lobby. That's just crazy! Say it ain't so. What else should we expect, I wonder?

Epicpilot

Short Answer:No one is completely sure, everything from the whole GCH being torn to nothing happening have been discussed.

NiarrNDisney

They need to bring Tangaroa Terrace! Captain Cooks always seems to be crowded and could really use an expansion in the dining room. Not to mention the dining rooms for Kona Cafe and O'hana are also not the largest.

dolce20

Original Poster
A little beauty salon would be nice, with polynesian theme pedicures and facial treatments.

I still say they should make a separate tiki hut type location that just sells Dole Whip, eliminating a little bit of excess crowd from CC. Hey, Yacht & Beach have an ice cream parlor, so why not?

Hula lessons on the beach, anyone?

tikiman

I can't really get into too much detail but the GCH is not being torn down. What I can say is the lobby area will look completely different and the water feature will be removed. There will be some changing of stores upstairs and the only thing that is confirmed to be staying is 'Ohana. That does not mean Kona is going away, I just can't get anyone to tell me it is staying. They need to do some changes to come up to code for ADA and the skylights need to be replaced because they have had to repair them too often.

luv

No water feature saddens me a little. I hope they don't change the name of the BouTiki. It's one of the funniest things in WDW, that name. :)

DisneyDebNJ

I love, love, love the Poly and hope they don't change it too much. We will be there in a few days! Requested Tokelau (will really miss the Hawaii building) This will be our first year staying in Tokelau, and yes we will miss the Hawaii building? but look forward to our stay! Aloha!!!

awoogala

Because the GCH is going to never be the same soon, and the tambu lounge will be possibly gone, we bit the bullet and are staying at the poly in 2 weeks. Hope to make our one and only trip there before it changes!

dolce20

Original Poster
Getting rid of the classic water feature S-U-C-K-S!!! Nooooo!!!!! Don't want a dramatic change unless they decide to dramatically change BACK to those olive green colors from the early 80's/late 70's.

They better keep Wyland Gallery which is a fantastic shop in the Poly and perfect place for it.

I would LOVE it if Tambu expanded big time. Waaaay too small now.

Monkee Girl

I stay at the Poly every year and would be very sad to see the fountains go. I love the sound of the water and overall look of the foliage. We get pictures in front of it as soon as we get our leis. I probably wouldn't mind some plusing/updating to the lobby but I think they should keep the water feature, it breaths exotic life into the building.

DisneyJunkie

Hope they're not changing it too much, I love the Poly. Until I can stay in a MK Tower Rm at Contemporary and decide between the two, it's my favorite resort.

dolce20

Original Poster
I stay at the Poly every year and would be very sad to see the fountains go. I love the sound of the water and overall look of the foliage. We get pictures in front of it as soon as we get our leis. I probably wouldn't mind some plusing/updating to the lobby but I think they should keep the water feature, it breaths exotic life into the building.

All they have to do is make it a smaller area if they must! Why get rid of? It wouldn't be the Poly without the lush foliage/fountain feature.

tikiman

All they have to do is make it a smaller area if they must! Why get rid of? It wouldn't be the Poly without the lush foliage/fountain feature.
Because the pumps take water from the outside ponds and they bring in some nasty bacteria. The filters are a old and poor design that they often have to shut down the whole thing and spend many hours to repair. It was down when we were there in May. Because of all the work they need to do it was decided it would come out.

ABQ

Because the pumps take water from the outside ponds and they bring in some nasty bacteria. The filters are a old and poor design that they often have to shut down the whole thing and spend many hours to repair. It was down when we were there in May. Because of all the work they need to do it was decided it would come out.
Ugh....still....as if they couldn't bury a tank somewhere, fill it with water filtered from some other source and create a self contained water feature inside the lobby that wouldn't give off a horrid stink nor clog the filters daily. How many Vegas hotels have such a thing?

CaptainShortty

Ok so now that DVC Villas are officially being built at the Poly, what upgrades will be made at the resort in general and specifically, my beloved lobby/Great Ceremonial House?

There's retro goodness galore there and I would hate to see TOO much change. Additions, yes. A gym, another QS (perhaps a seperate location that ONLY sells Dole Whip so that Capt Cooks can concentrate on hot food).

Who knows what's up at the Poly!? Do tell.

Although I can't get into specifics, A LOT of changes are coming to Poly including the lobby look, gift shop and pool area.

dolce20

Original Poster
Changing the look of the Poly to what? It's polynesian looking now. This is so upsetting.

Please understand, I'm an Interior Designer. What got me started in this field years ago and what was my original inspiration to become a designer of interior spaces was..WDW! Specifically, the original hotels. That, combined with supreme memories of good family times at the Poly, plus my love for all things tiki/retro, you can understand my reluctance to move on and "update" the GCH appearance. Villas are great but if it means that you have to start ripping out classic Disney hotel lobbys, well that's not good - wish they could expand on the existing theme, add spaces, reupholster sofas, replace skylights, improve the fountain, preferably with a nod to the past. Contemporary, I'm looking at you, too. (Do we really need 10,000 shades of beige as the main color scheme? Celebrate your retro-ness! A nod and a wink to it at the very least. We have enough Marriott-looking hotels in the world).

..and not for nothin, It's Disney! If they can't figure how to run a fountain in a hotel lobby than who can!?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom