POLL: Disney to Open Full Service Bar Inside Hollywood Tower of Terror

Do you want to see a bar inside of Hollywood Tower of Terror?

• Yes. I will gladly purchase a drink or three at this bar -- one drunkytown is not enough.

Votes: 113 48.3%
  • Sure. I don't mind but I will not visit or buy a drink at this bar.

Votes: 45 19.2%
  • No. Walt would not approve. A bar has no business inside of a theme park ride.

Votes: 58 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.7%

• Total voters

Siren

Original Poster
Fox News is reporting that Disney World will open a bar inside of The Hollywood Tower of Terror.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/04/18/disney-world-to-open-bar-inside-hollywood-tower-terror.html

"The venue will be located near the ride’s exit, just across from the area where you pick up your spooky souvenir photo.

The bar is rumored to offer on-the-go snacks and exclusive Hollywood Tower Hotel themed beverages. How about a Fifth Dimension Old Fashioned? Or a Rod Sterling Rum Punch?"

ml45zt.jpg

The Bar is going in the Sunset Room on the right. Pic is from google.

Also, it has been reported that the GOTG overlay will not effect the bar.

No Name

I don't like alcohol being served in the parks, but whatever, if that's a sign that Tower of Terror is saved, then so be it. Your poll is obviously super biased, but I agree with it. Hey, maybe alcohol will hide how depressing the park is now. ;) My mixed feelings kind of make it tricky for me to answer your poll. I guess I say "other"?

But it does appear to be a good sign. Why would they theme the bar to Tower of Terror, and have it in the ride building, if a redo is on its way? But then again, why are they doing it? The fact that something, anything at all, is happening kind of makes me nervous. Plus, drink names and flavors can be switched at any time...

I guess we'll have more answers when the thing is built. Or when Disney makes the dreadful announcement. :eek: So I trust this news obviously, I just question the reason for the bar. I am holding onto hope that this is a postive thing.

EDIT: where did you hear the part about it not affecting the GoTG redo?

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
They already serve alcohol in HS at several locations besides also the restaurants there, and all the other parks including MK (in BOG for dinner) so this is no different. Does not bother me one bit as its not the first alcohol to be served at HS. Lol And to add I'm not much of a drinker myself anymore but it still is no bother to me. :rolleyes:

raven

Doesn't that door on the right open into the old exit before they rerouted everyone through the store? If so, it's just a hallway.

Siren

Original Poster
I don't like alcohol being served in the parks, but whatever, if that's a sign that Tower of Terror is saved, then so be it. Your poll is obviously super biased, but I agree with it. Hey, maybe alcohol will hide how depressing the park is now. ;) My mixed feelings kind of make it tricky for me to answer your poll. I guess I say "other"?

But it does appear to be a good sign. Why would they theme the bar to Tower of Terror, and have it in the ride building, if a redo is on its way? But then again, why are they doing it? The fact that something, anything at all, is happening kind of makes me nervous. Plus, drink names and flavors can be switched at any time...

I guess we'll have more answers when the thing is built. Or when Disney makes the dreadful announcement. :eek: So I trust this news obviously, I just question the reason for the bar. I am holding onto hope that this is a postive thing.

EDIT: where did you hear the part about it not affecting the GoTG redo?
Serving alcohol in the parks is one thing but placing a bar inside one of Disney's most iconic attractions' is an entirely different animal. No? Ultimately, what message does this send? And, where do we draw the line?

I was initially opposed to alcohol in MK but I have since indulged in a nice cool glass of red wine at BOG. It was divine. But, that's a restaurant - the whole bar inside of a ride concept just seems wrong to me.

Once Disney opens this door there is no turning back. We can then expect a Rock N' Roll themed bar at Rock N' Roller Coaster -- a Pirates of the Caribbean Tavern -- a Haunted Mansion Bar -- a 'Southern Comfort' themed bar at Splash Mountain and a Wild Wild West bar at Big Thunder, ect. LOL.

But seriously, placing a bar at each E ticket attraction will eliminate the need for sponsors and increase profit margins.

Anyway, Walt was adamant about not wanting alcohol to be served in his parks, especially after being insulted by Gussie Busch (heir to Anheuser Busch Dynasty which also owns Sea World) at a cocktail party. This is back when Disney was considering building a Disney park in St. Louis, MO. This just seems like a slap in the face to Walt's legacy.

Below is the sordid account:

"In November of 1963 - Walt Disney - who had seen his Disneyland in California become a hit since it opened in 1955 - was considering options for a second attraction. He was supposedly one day away from making a Midwestern city the nation's next tourist mecca.

At a cocktail party the night before signing the deal, however, a local business leader made a rather loud pronouncement:

"Any man who thinks he can design an attraction that is going to be a success in this city and not serve beer or liquor ought to have his head examined."

Disney flew out of town the next morning without ever signing the papers that would make the attraction a reality.

"August (Gussie) Busch Jr.'s insulting remark had killed the deal - Disney World would not be in St. Louis."

Thank goodness for that.

As an aside, it may not be a bad idea for Sea World to hand out free beer again! LOL.
They already serve alcohol in HS at several locations besides also the restaurants there, and all the other parks including MK (in BOG for dinner) so this is no different. Does not bother me one bit as its not the first alcohol to be served at HS. Lol And to add I'm not much of a drinker myself anymore but it still is no bother to me. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I see your point.

Doesn't that door on the right open into the old exit before they rerouted everyone through the store? If so, it's just a hallway.
I see that Monkeyhead already answered this for you. The article said this is where the bar is going. And, I believe you can rent out this space for dinners and parties, too.

Isn't there like a patio are on top of one of the buildings? Could they have the bar up there?
Here is a map I found, it doesn't look like it.

images

Last edited:

Rubicon77

This is a genius idea if you think about it. When would you need a drink more than when you just had the cr@p scared out of you? You get off the ride and boom, there's a bar. I know my wife could have used a drink after riding ToT for the first time, as well as everyone else in the "elevator" with us after hearing her blood curdling screams (including the kids).

danyoung56

I'm all for this new bar, although I don't understand the reference to "drunkytown". The vast majority of drinkers know their limits. There are a few bozos that tend to ruin things, but for the most part I think drinkers behave pretty well. And while I understand Walt's initial desire to not have booze at his original park, I think he would have been fine with alcohol in the parks as it is today.

Incomudro

I'm all for this new bar, although I don't understand the reference to "drunkytown". The vast majority of drinkers know their limits. There are a few bozos that tend to ruin things, but for the most part I think drinkers behave pretty well. And while I understand Walt's initial desire to not have booze at his original park, I think he would have been fine with alcohol in the parks as it is today.

It only takes one or two very drunk bozos to really screw things up for a lot of people.
I'm not against drinking, I used to imbibe a bit myself.
But I don't like the idea of Disney offering more watering holes where people can really get tanked.
When the offerings are spread out, people grab a beer here, maybe a wine there - but have less of a chance to tie one on.
I can't help but think of what alcohol does to sports events.

danyoung56

I'm not against drinking, I used to imbibe a bit myself. But I don't like the idea of Disney offering more watering holes where people can really get tanked.

I don't want this thread to devolve into a drinking / not drinking thread. But I reiterate that I think drinkin' folks for the most part govern themselves pretty well. So I would look at the new bar not as a place for people to get really tanked, but just another beverage option.

Edward M

I don't drink, but I'm excited. Firstly, Hollywood Tower of Terror looks saved so yay, but I think some great theming could be put here. An aging 1920s bar in here is pretty well fitting. I can hear the music now with the dead looking bartender and the cobwebs all around. If done right it could fit perfectly into the ride and be a great addition. If you are a bit more optimistic about the opportunities there, it could be really good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom