POLL: Disney to Open Full Service Bar Inside Hollywood Tower of Terror

Do you want to see a bar inside of Hollywood Tower of Terror?

• Yes. I will gladly purchase a drink or three at this bar -- one drunkytown is not enough.

Votes: 113 48.3%
  • Sure. I don't mind but I will not visit or buy a drink at this bar.

Votes: 45 19.2%
  • No. Walt would not approve. A bar has no business inside of a theme park ride.

Votes: 58 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.7%

• Total voters

Rescue Ranger

I'm not a drinker.....BUT I think a bar themed to ToT would be awesome! Anything that adds to it and does not take away from the Tower(like the terrible gotg) I am all for. I do not like to drink, BUT that doesn't mean you have to be an alcoholic to enjoy it. I love going to Trader Sam's. I'm hopeful they will offer snacks and non-alcoholic beverages too.

Doug Means

I might stop for one drink if they did something like that, but I don't think most people are going to spend a 100 to get into a theme park to sit in a bar.
i do know a group that likes to visit EPCOT and just travel through the countries sampling their foods and beverages. A group of friends that have annual passes and live in Orlando.

Siren

Original Poster
I totally apologize for referencing "drunkytown" in the poll. I thought I erased it but I guess not. LOL.

No.

None whatsoever.

No need for a line.
So basically, the 'boundaries' that were initially set in place regarding access to alcohol at Disney World, are no longer appreciated by the public. That is very interesting.

I'm all for this new bar, although I don't understand the reference to "drunkytown". The vast majority of drinkers know their limits. There are a few bozos that tend to ruin things, but for the most part I think drinkers behave pretty well. And while I understand Walt's initial desire to not have booze at his original park, I think he would have been fine with alcohol in the parks as it is today.
Hi Dan, I apologize for the "drunkytown" reference -- it was supposed to be deleted.

"Drunkytown" comes from an epic thread that was unfortunately locked.

Food & Wine Festival - Drunkytown

I completely agree. I've never seen a single person "tanked' at Walt Disney World and I was a local for three years who would visit Epcot pretty much every weekend during Food and Wine. I'm not saying it's never happened, but it's certainly not the epidemic that people are describing.

Separately, I don't think I could come up with a more immature and embarrassing term than "drunkytown" if I tried.
Again, I apologize. When I first heard the term "drunkytown" -- I thought it was so funny and unfortunately, the word never left me. LOL.

Foxnews AND Siren together? Wow if that isn't a new level of credibility... Its no surprise that the article fails to mention its just copying from another wdw fan site in it's reporting.

If this comes true, I expect more like a counter...
Awww. Are you still mad? That was *years* ago, let it go. And, don't shoot the messenger, my credibility is flawless.

Actually the correct terminology is "Drunky land", it's going to be the next expansion after Star wars land & Toy story land. I believe it's going to be a Vegas theme......
LOL. You're funny.

I think we should all have a drink, no pun intended, not be so defensive & return this thread back to the original topic.........
Yes! I totally agree. I hope you're buying, Doc. LOL.

There are more people than you think that go nuts with the alcohol, but also more people who keep reserved. I coined the term one day in 2013 after reading a Spirited thread, which had a tangent about how Food and Wine was attracting more drunkards every year. I opened another thread and moved the conversation there. It closed rather quickly. In those three years I have grown a little as a person and have come to accept that people can have alcohol occasionally, I mean after all, it's vacation, but there's still been an uptick in locals descending to Epcot just to get wasted. Disney closed Pleasure Island for this very reason. Magic Kingdom's not a kid park, and Epcot's not an adult park, they're both family parks. Emphasis on family. These people need to grow up and learn self-control, as well as responsibility for their actions.

Sorry for the tangent. You're right on the first part. It still makes me smile when I see people using my phrase. I guess I've made WDWMagic history. Yes, the vast majority know their limits. Yes, it's only a few bozos who ruin things, but alcohol at Epcot is too prevalent. It's almost every restaurant, and drinking around the world is the most discussed Epcot-related topic on the Internet. More than Frozestrom. More than Test Track or Soarin'. More than the closure of the dark rides. Alcohol. Let's be honest, it's the real reason Be our Guest still gets insane waits. It's the only restaurant at MK that serves beer or wine. Alcohol is the second-most consumed drug in the world (after caffeine). Walt had been to some amusement parks before Disneyland opened, and back then those were places for kids and teenagers and young adults to do whatever they pleased. Does anyone remember the parties from Great Gatsby? It was similar to that, but with rides. So, of course he was against alcohol.

One bar at Hollywood Studios isn't going to turn DHS into World Showcase on a weekend night in October. It's actually a well thought-out addition. Bars were omnipresent in hotels back then and, last time I checked, still are.
LOL. I had no idea you started that thread. I will *never* forgive you for creating the phrase "drunkytown." Now, I am getting in trouble for using that word years later.

It's not going in the "Sunset Room." It would be at the counter that is across the room from it. I wouldn't expect much. I imagine it will be a bit like the outdoor bar at the Brown Derby.
Oh wow, that's too bad. Given that TOT is a ride, I would have preferred not to see the bar from the outside.

I'll go against the grain and say that conceptually, I think it's a great idea. Tower of Terror is an environment that lends itself very well to a bar — the real Hollywood has a long history of bars, and even today is a major center for nightlife. Famous, historic bars like Musso and Frank (left) and the Pig'N'Whistle (right) have been operating on Hollywood Boulevard since the 1920s or earlier:

musso-n-frank-bar-10_zpstdaqvevp.jpg
G5Y5574-682x1024_zps6uxk0gkk.jpg

Musso and Frank welcomed an illustrious clientele with the likes of Humphrey Bogart and Charlie Chaplin, and the Pig'n'Whistle was a favorite stop for celebrities attending premieres at Grauman's Egyptian Theater next door. Perhaps the closest direct inspiration for the Tower of Terror, the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel on western Hollywood Boulevard, was well-known for its bars and nightlife activity, and was a place you could often see Marilyn Monroe performing.

This is a very real side of Hollywood history, and a side that's underrepresented at DHS, in my opinion. For a park known for its more "adult" focus and drawing its inspiration from a sophisticated American city, I've always been surprised the park's food and beverage offerings paled so heavily compared to Epcot. Tower of Terror in particular seems like a great place to change this, with its rich, historic feel and almost film noir atmosphere. Plus it's not a part of the park known for drawing very young kids anyway.

Add some jazz music, some spooky, bellhop-ish bartenders, and a few Twilight Zone-inspired drink names, and you could have one of the best-themed drinking environments this side of the Cava de Tequila.

The real challenge would be execution, and it's this that makes me nervous. Ideally I'd like to see Disney create a space that truly feels like part of the Hollywood Tower Hotel, and feels authentic to the old Hollywood theme. It also needs to be out of the way of guest traffic leaving the attraction, and not allow too much intermingling between the bar clientele and families just wanting to leave the ride. My worry is that Disney will just plunk some beer taps behind a counter near the gift shop and call it a day.

But conceptually, the pitch "Tower of Terror-themed bar" is one of the most intriguing ideas for an adult venue I've heard since Trader Sam's.

EDIT: All that said, I didn't vote because I'm not sure adding a themed environment for drinks equates to creating "drunkytown;" the poll question feels just a little bit loaded.
Well, when you put it this way, who can resist? Those are some of the most gorgeous bars I have ever seen.

Wow! Thanks everyone for voting. I loved reading every second of this thread. I am very surprised by the results.

Wikkler

I totally apologize for referencing "drunkytown" in the poll. I thought I erased it but I guess not. LOL.

Hi Dan, I apologize for the "drunkytown" reference -- it was supposed to be deleted.

"Drunkytown" comes from an epic thread that was unfortunately locked.

Food & Wine Festival - Drunkytown

Again, I apologize. When I first heard the term "drunkytown" -- I thought it was so funny and unfortunately, the word never left me. LOL.

LOL. I had no idea you started that thread. I will *never* forgive you for creating the phrase "drunkytown." Now, I am getting in trouble for using that word years later.
Won't you take me to?

Oh wow, that's too bad. Given that TOT is a ride, I would have preferred not to see the bar from the outside.
I agree. Bars need to be inside and not visible until you're fully inside the building, to prevent the kinds of drunkery that plague F&W.

Seabasealpha1

My good friend Hothworker05, (dude who chimes in on my blog once in a while) once went to DHS with one of those little plastic bottles (I think it's called like a tenth? anyone?) of Captain Morgan from the hotel. They told him he couldn't bring it in unless he were to lock it up in a rented locker ( I have no idea if this is true) so he downed the whole bottle and then proceeded to ride RnRC and ToT on repeat for the majority of the night. Said it was a good time! And he didn't have any trouble and blended in well...

Moral of the story here: I'm pretty sure the bar will be nicely themed and have a lot less booze per drink than good 'ole Hoth had in his possession. For that matter, where restaurants, bars, and dining are concerned, as long as it's done well, I don't get too upset when they add-to or remove or replace (minus this whole "paddlefish" B.S.) offerings...while the food is good, and I enjoy it, its not really why I visit...so...I guess bring on the bar...doesn't bother me...

For that matter...for giggles, why don't they add a couple of animatronics to a couple of bar stools...I suggest Drax and Rockett arguing about something while seemingly drunken... ;)

Siren

Original Poster
Won't you take me to?

I agree. Bars need to be inside and not visible until you're fully inside the building, to prevent the kinds of drunkery that plague F&W.
LOL. I have to admit that it took me a second to get it. I was like, where I am supposed to take him? And, then I was like DUH! It's the song! By the way, I love that song, too.

My good friend Hothworker05, (dude who chimes in on my blog once in a while) once went to DHS with one of those little plastic bottles (I think it's called like a tenth? anyone?) of Captain Morgan from the hotel. They told him he couldn't bring it in unless he were to lock it up in a rented locker ( I have no idea if this is true) so he downed the whole bottle and then proceeded to ride RnRC and ToT on repeat for the majority of the night. Said it was a good time! And he didn't have any trouble and blended in well...

Moral of the story here: I'm pretty sure the bar will be nicely themed and have a lot less booze per drink than good 'ole Hoth had in his possession. For that matter, where restaurants, bars, and dining are concerned, as long as it's done well, I don't get too upset when they add-to or remove or replace (minus this whole "paddlefish" B.S.) offerings...while the food is good, and I enjoy it, its not really why I visit...so...I guess bring on the bar...doesn't bother me...

For that matter...for giggles, why don't they add a couple of animatronics to a couple of bar stools...I suggest Drax and Rockett arguing about something while seemingly drunken... ;)
LOL @ Hothworker05 must be a serious Star Wars fan. Mmm... I love Captain Morgan's rum --> in my Pina Colada. I don't care if Pina Colada's are dated or old fashion or that the glass they serve it in is always ugly -- this is my favorite drink at the Poly.

Okay so, I had to look up who Drax and Rockett were, lol. Honestly, I don't think they would make it through the night. I can see angry ToT fans beating them up real bad.

They should have a guy there singing 1930s & 40s standards. Some Bing Crosby for the folks.
Nice. That's a great idea, it would really add some ambiance and make the bar more classy.

You're gonna need a FastPass or an ADR for this. With a time limit.
LOL. You're probably going to need both - a FastPass for the ride and an ADR for the bar. Ouch.

Siren

Original Poster
looks like they will not be putting this bar in...just read an article
Oh wow, thanks for the update, Doug! A lot of people are going to be so disappointed or not. LOL.

The Closest Alcoholic Drink to Every Ride at Disney World

At least, every really good ride http://www.eater.com/2015/8/26/9206573/the-closest-alcoholic-drink-to-every-ride-at-disney-world

EPCOT

RIDE:
Test Track, a high-speed driving simulation where you design your own concept car.
DRINK: Pick up a Cracker Ale, made by local Florida brewery Cigar City, atTaste Track, a grilled-cheese-oriented stand just a few feet outside Test Track's exit.

RIDE: Spaceship Earth, Epcot's flagship ride (it's the one inside the giant Bucky Ball), a slow-moving journey through human technological history.
DRINK: Electric Umbrella is an entirely unremarkable restaurant, save for the fact that it's a two-minute walk from Spaceship Earth, and they sell a strawberry margarita.

RIDE: Soarin', a flight simulator that lets you feel almost like you're really hang-gliding over California.
DRINK: There's a full selection of wine and beer at Garden Grill, which is in the same pavilion as Soarin' — you don't even need to leave the comfort of your air conditioning.

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
RIDE: The Tower of Terror, a Twilight Zone-themed elevator drop that's arguably the second-most fun thrill ride at Disney World.
DRINK: Steps outside the ride's exit is the Tower of Terror Coffee Cart, where they're happy to spike your iced cappuccino with Kahlua.

RIDE: Rock 'n Roller Coaster, an Aerosmith-themed roller coaster.
DRINK: Stagger out of your Steven Tyler-themed loop-de-loop limousine and head right to Fairfax Fare for a Bud Lite.

RIDE: The Great Movie Ride is nearly 20 minutes long. You're going to need a drink afterwards.
DRINK: The closest booze to be found is inside the ABC Commissary, where your best bet is a fruity Chardonnay.

RIDE: Like all Muppet-related things, Muppet Vision 3D is just deliriously fun.
DRINK: Hang a hard right head to Mama Melrose Ristorante Italiano. There's often a cocktail kiosk set up outside, but if not, head indoors for a 2-ounce pour of Sambuca.

ANIMAL KINGDOM

RIDE:
Besting the Tower of Terror, the Himalayan-adventure-themed roller coaster Expedition Everest is Disney World's best ride.
DRINK: There's sometimes an Everest Cart set up right outside the coaster's exit, where you can shotgun a Kingfisher Lager to calm your post-ride nerves. If it's not there, head over to one of the Yak & Yeti stands for a Safari Amber.

RIDE: Kali River Rapids, a water ride where you're likely to get more than a little damp.
DRINK: Dry off with a Kirin from Yak & Yeti Quality Beverages.

RIDE: Kilimanjaro Safaris is a beautiful, immersive wildlife tour. You'll need a drink afterwards to deal with your guilt over how much humans are ruining the earth.
DRINK: Kamu Kamu Coffee Shop is technically closest, but spring for a fancy drink at Dawa Bar, like a Berbere-spiced "African Bloody Mary."

MAGIC KINGDOM
RIDE: Pirates of the Caribbean, the ride that launched a thousand movies.
RIDE: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, a mining-car themed roller coaster.
RIDE: Splash Mountain, source of the internet's weirdest coaster pictures.
RIDE: Haunted Mansion, definitely not the same thing as Tower of Terror.
RIDE: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, literally another mining-themed roller coaster.
RIDE: Space Mountain, the granddaddy of them all.
DRINK: The only place that serves alcohol in the Magic Kingdom is Be Our Guest, and then only at dinnertime. Get an entire bottle of Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Brut Yellow Label for your troubles. You've earned it.

BiffyClyro

Did they used to have a drink limit at the park/ still do or did I just dream that?

I don't see what's wrong with selling alchohol at the park, as long as people (and most would) keep it sensibe and don't bother other people.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Did they used to have a drink limit at the park/ still do or did I just dream that?

I don't see what's wrong with selling alchohol at the park, as long as people (and most would) keep it sensibe and don't bother other people.

The only limited I know of is you can only buy two drinks per ID card presented. I was buying drinks at Animal Kingdom for 6 people and they asked to see at least 3 IDs. One person from each couple had to come to the counter and show them.

danyoung56

They used to be much more strict at the Rose & Crown - they had to see an ID for EACH drink purchased. They've become much more relaxed now, and one person can order drinks for his entire party. I don't know if the Florida law changed or if they're just not worrying so much about it any more.

BiffyClyro

The only limited I know of is you can only buy two drinks per ID card presented. I was buying drinks at Animal Kingdom for 6 people and they asked to see at least 3 IDs. One person from each couple had to come to the counter and show them.
that's what I'm thinking of! I remember a two drink limit but didn't really pay attention to how it worked since I don't really drink anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom