POFQ vs Contemporary

mcbethanny

Original Poster
I'm planning to run the Princess Half in February and will be staying a week. I'm trying to decide if the convenience of the monorail is worth the price difference? I have stayed at POFQ before and loved the experience. I have never stayed at a monorail or any deluxe for that matter.

Give me your best advice!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm planning to run the Princess Half in February and will be staying a week. I'm trying to decide if the convenience of the monorail is worth the price difference? I have stayed at POFQ before and loved the experience. I have never stayed at a monorail or any deluxe for that matter.

Give me your best advice!
The monorail from Contemporary to MK is a bit of a long slog. Stops at TTC, Poly, and Grand Flo before MK, and is frequently packed.

The best part of Contemp is that it is a short work to the MK.

Transport to Epcot is good however. First stop at TTC, then transfer to Epcot monorail and you are there.

CaptainAmerica

Will your trip be very heavily Magic Kingdom? If not, I don't think the convenience of the MK resorts is a major asset. As much as they're convenient to MK, and kind of convenient to Epcot they're relatively inconvenient to Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

Bairstow

If one were to walk from the Contemporary to the Magic Kingdom, one would go through the MK bus security station, right?

JTT

I love POFQ but a few years ago I stayed at Bay Lake Tower. Even though I wasn't super impressed with the theming (lack of), I really loved being able to walk to Magic Kingdom. There were many nights after coming in, my wife and son wanted to call it a night, I would walk over get a Dole Whip and enjoy and hour or so of the Magic Kingdom.

aw14

I have stayed at both, and am heading back for my 3rd stay at Contemp in June. The convenience factor of CR is one of the better selling points. We have actually timed it to roughly 7-10 minutes door to door to the MK

DoleWhipperSnapper

Even though I was 1 year old when I stayed at POFQ and don't remember anything about the resort from what my parents have told me and the photos and going back to visit and view the resort on other trips it looks lovely. I have never stayed at the Contemporary, but I imagine it is also very nice as it is a deluxe resort. As others stated the Monorail makes several stops so that can take awhile to get to your destination even though the monorail experience is great. If it was me I'd go with POFQ.

wdwmamamouse

I would think that would be a fair amount of money to switch from POFQ to Contemporary...hard to beat convenience but I do think you give up some of the ambience you get at PO -- the Contemporary is very large and feels "cold" to us. Have you considered WL -- love the lobby, interior rooms, ambience, watercraft, pool, etc - it is less that the Contemporary but more than the moderates and still well located.

Kristopher Rannells

Captain America hits the nail on the head. If your visit is Magic Kingdom and Epcot oriented, a monorail resort is better. As stated, walking to MK is quicker and easier and transferring to the Epcot monorail is much easier than buses. We hate the buses with a passion. Not so much going to the parks, but coming from at park closing is a nightmare compared to the monorail or the boats that serve other resorts. I'd look into the WL like mamamouse said, because of the theming and boat transportation if you don't want to take advantage of walking to the MK and that will be your primary park

correcaminos

If you are a MK fan then it might be worth it. We are more Epco people and honestly it was a drag to be stuck using the unreliable monorail around the resorts. We had lots if delays on that line. So we prefer Polynesian (walk to TTC) over the Contemprary/BLT

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom