Planet Hollywood unveils redesign for Disney Springs

mm121

the inside looks super boring especially that plain white ceiling

the only positive i see is the outside second floor deck seating area it has a great view of the rest of disney springs

the inside would have been cool if they put a mock up of a real telescope in there like you'd see in a real observatory along with a black ceiling with star constellations on it

thats a big staircase in the lobby not really elderly, family friendly, didnt the old ph have an escalator

they really dumbed down the lobby from the concept art where it had the huge iron man display case

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I've now read numerous reviews online. Seems like they opened not quite show-ready.

There are many empty display cases, and the projections on the ceiling are not fully functional. The food seems hit and miss. What is good is very good, and what is bad, is brutal.

Hopefully this is just a case of opening night jitters, and not being fully finished. I expect the reviews will improve in the coming weeks, as the wrinkles are ironed out.

If not, then sadly, some others may be correct that there is just too much competition nearby (within steps actually!) for The Observatory to survive.

For now, it stays on my list to try in September.

flyerjab

I've now read numerous reviews online. Seems like they opened not quite show-ready.

There are many empty display cases, and the projections on the ceiling are not fully functional. The food seems hit and miss. What is good is very good, and what is bad, is brutal.

Hopefully this is just a case of opening night jitters, and not being fully finished. I expect the reviews will improve in the coming weeks, as the wrinkles are ironed out.

If not, then sadly, some others may be correct that there is just too much competition nearby (within steps actually!) for The Observatory to survive.

For now, it stays on my list to try in September.

My wife and daughter are down for a long weekend for the Festival of the Arts. They just finished eating there.

My wife got a hamburger and my daughter got the turkey burger, both with fries. They said the food was really good. She said though the inside is still not complete. She said you can tell they are not quite finished.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
My wife and daughter are down for a long weekend for the Festival of the Arts. They just finished eating there.

My wife got a hamburger and my daughter got the turkey burger, both with fries. They said the food was really good. She said though the inside is still not complete. She said you can tell they are not quite finished.
Excellent news. I really do believe things will continue to improve over the coming weeks.

MarkTwain

Projecting several TV screens that all have the same show playing has two problems:

1. It's a projection of TV screens.... you're projecting onto a huge blank wall which is one giant screen... so... why make your show into TV screens all playing the same thing in the same viewing direction? Just project onto the giant screen.

2. It's a projection of TV screens. What part of "Hollywood" in "Planet Hollywood" did they not understand? They should be movie screens. Walk outside your restaurant. Do you see "Hard Rock Cafe" in lights? Then stop playing rock videos.

It has a nice view.

This is baffling. A GMR-style montage of classic movies would make a lot more sense. Maybe have one large projected screen playing classic movie trailers, and smaller side screens showing footage of actors or scrolling movie trivia. As it is, the MTV-style music videos just looks like they're trying to be Hard Rock Cafe.

It's also a little tacky how the projection just cuts off at its edges, and then just disappears into tons of unprojected surface. A faded effect might look a lot less noticeable and help it blend better. I don't know, the whole concept of projecting TV screens onto a projection surface still seems really strange to me.

I will say the restaurant seems to succeed best at a smaller scale. The tables with the mini-chandeliers and upholstery look really nice, and the outside deck looks great. Maybe the key to this restaurant is to request an outdoor table. ;)

KBLovedDisney

Why Disney...why
DoubleFacePalm.jpg

KBLovedDisney

They tried forcing completely different concepts together (the Victorian and modern era + ... today's music...).
Yay. Something else I now miss from yesteryear...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The story of Disney Springs is all about adaptive reuse.

So the "story" for Planet Hollywood 2017 goes something like this....

"We found this wonderful old abandoned observatory. Lovingly renovated the exterior and lobby, then added a restaurant."

Sounds great!!! What type of theme did you use inside the restaurant?

"Well, that's the best part! We turned it into a mishmash of hollywood memorabilia and Rihanna music videos on 120 inch screens!!!"

Cool?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom