PHOTOS - New design of maps now at Walt Disney World resort hotels

Sassagoula-Rvr

Exactly...I'm not a big fan...I like that they are more detailed...but they're a little lacking in just about anything else....

But I'm not the type of person who will have a vacation ruined by a piece of paper (although last time we were there...the gate keeper for the resort was pretty gruff and never said "Welcome Home!" which is something people in our group always look forward to! So details do make a difference...)

Bolna

I truly hate them! I loved the themed feel every little map had. I don't need a map that is true to scale for my hotel, I need one where it is easy to figure out where the important services are. Now everything is somehow in the lobby area shown by various letters, but because the lobby is tiny, you can't really tell where.

ToTBellHop

I love the realistic, to scale maps. The other ones were like navigating a cartoon.
That's what I like--these are to scale. As pretty as the old ones were, it could be a bit confusing to the newcomer (most of us could navigate the parks blindfolded, so we must remind ourselves what it is like the first time you go). Something like this is more than a little confusing:
mgm-map.jpg

OR
Dixie-Landings-Original-Map-Big.gif

COProgressFan

Does anyone remember when there were little guidebooks or newspapers with maps and other information that were uniquely themed to each resort? I know the Poly used to have a little newspaper with all of the hotel information, and the other resorts did as well.

On the whole its really not a big deal, but it's one more small step toward homogenization and watering down the experience. A decline by degrees in my eyes anyway.

aladdin2007

Does anyone remember when there were little guidebooks or newspapers with maps and other information that were uniquely themed to each resort? I know the Poly used to have a little newspaper with all of the hotel information, and the other resorts did as well.

On the whole its really not a big deal, but it's one more small step toward homogenization and watering down the experience. A decline by degrees in my eyes anyway.

Yes they were fantastic, I kept a few, wilderness lodge, ft wilderness, dixie landings.....they were big too like big fold out newspapers yet nice paper, fully designed and themed. Back when Disney cared about theme and extra touches like that.

DonaldDoleWhip

NO! NOT THE POLY MAP!:eek: The old poly map looked like a piece of art, this one just makes it look like one big parking lot.:(
Agreed - GF and AKL also lost something special in the transition to MyMagicMinus-inspired maps. The previous maps reinforced the theme extremely well, and I had no difficulty interpreting them.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I didn't see the maps as something that needed to be homogenized. Each resort has its own personality, and it was nice to have maps/mugs/merchandise to reflect that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom