PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

dhall

I actually like the openness of it, but I HATE the blue stones, at least from the second floor. The Orange/Red seat cushions aren't much better. Just looks weird. Maybe i'll get used to it.
The first thing I think of when I see the blue stones is that they'll probably get Sebastian in there singing 'Under the Sea' with an Ariel meet-n-greet, because they live in the ocean and nothing will reinforce the Polynesian theme more than a northern European crag singing with a Jamaican accent.

Incomudro

Well, as optimistic as I am - I can say this:
When I took my boys to the Polynesian for the first time (they were 8 years old I believe) via monorail from our stay at Boardwalk, not only was the trip to the Poly an adventure, but entering the Polynesian and gazing down at the fountain (we went to the Polynesian for the dinner) was a huge part of the experience.
It really took us away in our minds.
It is indeed unfortunate that feeling will not be recaptured, and I'm sure that should I take my boys (now 13) back to the Polynesian this spring - they will indeed miss the fountain.
I understand why WDW did what they did, and I'm hoping the finished product will be beautiful as most of their work is.

Disney Analyst

Tell me...what would WDW need to take away for you to stop going?

Well, I have no plans on going. I can't afford it, I live on the West Coast, and the only interest in going back to Florida is for Diagon Alley.

I think WDW has many great things, and many bad things. I worked there, I saw that a lot of magic is still alive... but there are areas that are lacking. WDW comes across as a Walmart of Disney Theme Parks. Get in, Get Happy, Get out. But, I do not see this change as anything dreadful. I do admit still, I have no nostalgia towards WDW as I do for Disneyland.

I found the Poly, when I went inside the few times I did, confusing, cluttered, and odd smelling... I never took the time to take in the Lobby, maybe if I had I would have cared more... but I did not... and looking at photos, I don't find myself too impressed with the old waterfall... I prefer the open vibe, and I like the concept art. So, thus.. I am excited to see what the finished product is (as I do love change and new things), and then will make my assessment.

It's really a strange thing to see people freaking out about a Lobby in an overpriced hotel.. I myself would never stay at any of the Disney Resorts, unless for a very very very special occasion because I felt like I could part with a ton of money to sleep in a bed. But again, the experience I go for is the Parks, not the hotels.

The biggest loss for me was the self-serve dole whip (only reason I went to Poly, and to watch fireworks)... after serving Ice Cream at the Magic Kingdom, I became quite good at swirling a cone... goodness I could pile that thing!

Walter Elias Disney

Lobby is looking great! Hats off to the cast members that are working diligently to get the area presentable for our holiday guests. Looking forward to the extra space and the new tiki.

asianway

Well, I have no plans on going. I can't afford it, I live on the West Coast, and the only interest in going back to Florida is for Diagon Alley.

I think WDW has many great things, and many bad things. I worked there, I saw that a lot of magic is still alive... but there are areas that are lacking. WDW comes across as a Walmart of Disney Theme Parks. Get in, Get Happy, Get out. But, I do not see this change as anything dreadful. I do admit still, I have no nostalgia towards WDW as I do for Disneyland.

I found the Poly, when I went inside the few times I did, confusing, cluttered, and odd smelling... I never took the time to take in the Lobby, maybe if I had I would have cared more... but I did not... and looking at photos, I don't find myself too impressed with the old waterfall... I prefer the open vibe, and I like the concept art. So, thus.. I am excited to see what the finished product is (as I do love change and new things), and then will make my assessment.

It's really a strange thing to see people freaking out about a Lobby in an overpriced hotel.. I myself would never stay at any of the Disney Resorts, unless for a very very very special occasion because I felt like I could part with a ton of money to sleep in a bed. But again, the experience I go for is the Parks, not the hotels.

The biggest loss for me was the self-serve dole whip (only reason I went to Poly, and to watch fireworks)... after serving Ice Cream at the Magic Kingdom, I became quite good at swirling a cone... goodness I could pile that thing!
Interesting. Thanks

John

New Poly lobby?........ppppffffffttttttt!!!!! As I seen somewhere else the fountain looks like a kit you could purchase at Home Depot! So unimaginative, so underwhelming. It just isn't fitting for a "deluxe" resort. I have seen better in my local mall. Wait till other elements are added? OK.....I will. Don't see where it will matter much. The water feature is what it is. A pile of rocks and a few potted plants I can get a my local nursery. A must do at the Poly was to have your family stand in front of the water feature and have their picture taken. If you have your families picture taken in front this feature.....you wont be able to see it.

hpyhnt 1000

Hmmm. Definitely more open than the previous lobby. Need to see it with the new furniture and accessories before making the final judgment. Really hoping there will be some additional plants and potted palms in the final design.

Clamman73

Not sure if I got the same angle here, but...looks like we've downsized.
polylobby2014.jpeg

poly2013screen2.jpeg

Soarin' Over Pgh

Bam! *drops mic*

I honestly have nothing positive to say about the lobby defurb. But I'm trying this whole "positive thinking" nonsense so... I like the rubble. Even if it looks like Fraggle Rock's Red is stuck underneath it and desperately trying to escape.

Epicpilot

Not sure if I got the same angle here, but...looks like we've downsized.
View attachment 76756
View attachment 76758

I was optimistic about the new lobby, as open lobby's when done right can be great for a resort but this just makes the area look dead. The lobby is supposed to be a lively area, now it looks like a back corner converted to some sitting space as an afterthought.

Californian Elitist

This looks very different from Trader Sam's at the DLH, but then again, that's a bar and this one isn't, right?

It really doesn't look terrible to me so far. I never did see the lobby prior, though.

Little Green Men

This looks very different from Trader Sam's at the DLH, but then again, that's a bar and this one isn't, right?

It really doesn't look terrible to me so far. I never did see the lobby prior, though.
This isn't the new Trader Sam's, just the main lobby of the resort. Trader Sam's is in a different location.

note2001

Not sure if I got the same angle here, but...looks like we've downsized. (note, I swapped the pic order to old / new)
View attachment 76758 (Old poly fountains)
This image evokes a feeling of peace, tranquility & vacation.
I never considered myself attached to the Poly fountain. Then I saw the following and realized that they paved paradise:

Is anyone else's stomach hurting when they see this. No? Think I'm coming down with something.

I've never stayed at the poly, but have always loved walking through the lobby, stores and eating there. My sister even mentioned she's dying to try the bungalows when they're ready. Not sure how she'll feel about this as like many here, she also loved the old fountain.

To me, the space just feels odd and the ceiling decor to me just isn't blending well with old architecture. There are far too many straight lines and although geometrically balanced, the space is feeling very awkward. It needed the randomness of the plant life and waterfalls the old fountain had to bring peace into the space. The way it is now looks reminds me of a Ramada inn. If I were to walk in there and see this now I'd get the feeling I might as well be on a business trip and not on vacation.

The only thing I can think of that will save this at this point is a whole lot of palms in giant pots. Please let me be wrong.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom