Phone crushed on TOT

21stamps

Disney should just do what Hershey Park does: collect all the smashed phones/valuables, put them in a clear container, and then put them next to the warning sign at the rides' entrances.

That’s what Kings Island does as well. 😂

I still don’t understand how someone can lose a bag or phone on ToT.

I am also curious. How does something like this happen?

I would think it would have had more of a chance to be thrown out the open doors once you are at the top if you are just holding the bag and decided to let go...but that is still a long shot.

Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense at all.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There's still a few feet of gap between the floor of the VVC and the drop shaft walls, so loose items have the potential to "float" over the vehicle gate and either land on the floor of the VVC or fall to the bottom of the drop shaft.
Thinking about it, I can only guess the items "fell" out the front of the AVG (lord knows how unless they threw them) and the AVG then attempted to roll over them. The items went under a wheel and that would cause an E stop (and a right mess ops wise). Nothing fell down the drop shaft

Either way, Idiots.

Dave B

"Disney did not do enough to protect my personal belongings! I paid $100 for my park ticket, that should entitle me to more personal item protection! They should post a warning outside of the attraction about possible flying objects during ride operation! I'm not happy, Disney, and you need to fix this!!!!!!!!!!!"
Or we just need to be smart enough to now what kind of ride we are going on and understand the force equated with it and maybe secure the articles a little better, even maybe hold the phone in your hand? Disney is not responsible for lack of common sense

Bairstow

Meanwhile, at Busch Gardens' SheiKra:

32e115b.jpg

wdwjmp239

"Disney did not do enough to protect my personal belongings! I paid $100 for my park ticket, that should entitle me to more personal item protection! They should post a warning outside of the attraction about possible flying objects during ride operation! I'm not happy, Disney, and you need to fix this!!!!!!!!!!!"

Why should Disney fix this? You paid $100 for a park ticket. Disney didn't tell you to fork over that money. You went up to the ticket window, purchased a ticket, and that was the end of that. No where on Disney property does it say they will protect your personal equipment other than when you get fair warning to "leave your belongings on the floor" (as on Soarin'), "keeping your arms inside the car" (on Test Track), and other words of warning. You should've stuffed your phone in your pocket. And..it's like @HauntedPirate said.....
"Here are some FastPasses... and a quick service meal voucher. Have a Magical day!!!" because that's all you're going to get from them along with a signed note from Mickey Mouse that says, "Please leave your sense of entitlement at the park entrance. Thank you!"

Hcalvert

When I was on ToT in June, my son took his ear hat off and put it in the gap between us. During the ups and downs the hat flew up and I had to catch it in midair above my head or it probably would have been gone. We were in the first row. The next time we rode it, he kept it strapped on his head.

Dave B

When I was on ToT in June, my son took his ear hat off and put it in the gap between us. During the ups and downs the hat flew up and I had to catch it in midair above my head or it probably would have been gone. We were in the first row. The next time we rode it, he kept it strapped on his head.
Yeah, not the best place for the hat, next time, I would just hold it in my hand or put it under my pants/belt buckle area ( I know people don't really wear belts to the park, was more referencing an area

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Was this in the alternate reality that is ToT? Because if the phone was crushed when you were in the alternate reality - then once the ride ended (and you returned to your original reality) - your phone should have been fine.

Unless, you never quite fully made it back to your original reality and you and your crushed phone are trapped in the alternate reality. There might be a perfectly good phone that has gone unclaimed in your original reality that has since been turned over to lost and found...just waiting for it's owner to claim it.

Your posts here are being viewed by a doppelganger type forum and maybe, just maybe - we all know exactly what's going on.....but we won't (can't) let you catch on.

Oddysey

Why should Disney fix this? You paid $100 for a park ticket. Disney didn't tell you to fork over that money. You went up to the ticket window, purchased a ticket, and that was the end of that. No where on Disney property does it say they will protect your personal equipment other than when you get fair warning to "leave your belongings on the floor" (as on Soarin'), "keeping your arms inside the car" (on Test Track), and other words of warning. You should've stuffed your phone in your pocket. And..it's like @HauntedPirate said.....
"Here are some FastPasses... and a quick service meal voucher. Have a Magical day!!!" because that's all you're going to get from them along with a signed note from Mickey Mouse that says, "Please leave your sense of entitlement at the park entrance. Thank you!"

Sarcasm just does not translate well on the internet does it?

Da Man

Thinking about it, I can only guess the items "fell" out the front of the AVG (lord knows how unless they threw them) and the AVG then attempted to roll over them. The items went under a wheel and that would cause an E stop (and a right mess ops wise). Nothing fell down the drop shaft

Either way, Idiots.

Actually, that's not quite true. There is a large compensating sheave in the 'pit' beneath the elevator with multiple cables on it that could perform the 'crushing' action. It is required on elevators of this speed to increase traction over the drive sheave in the machinery space overhead.

If you watch the video 'Disney Filmparade: Tower of Terror' you can somewhat see the equipment at 1:58 and can see the two cables coming off of the bottom of the elevator at 7:12. While the compensating sheaves account for some of the 'cell phone deaths' the industry sees, gravity and the floor are still the prime suspect in most 'cellular fatalities'.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Actually, that's not quite true. There is a large compensating sheave in the 'pit' beneath the elevator with multiple cables on it that could perform the 'crushing' action. It is required on elevators of this speed to increase traction over the drive sheave in the machinery space overhead.
There’s a ton of gear in the pit including fall suppression, return drive cable systems and audio / lighting systems. All are out of the range of the VVC during normal operation. Anything crushed down there wasn’t crushed by the VVC.

Da Man

There’s a ton of gear in the pit including fall suppression, return drive cable systems and audio / lighting systems. All are out of the range of the VVC during normal operation. Anything crushed down there wasn’t crushed by the VVC.

Once again, I would have to respectfully disagree. During the drop stages, the shaft has complete exposure to falling debris. While simply riding it shows this, the original shop drawings also completely detail this.

Da Man

Also, in this case, saying the 'ride ran it over', is not indicative of the VVC having done it. If it went down the hoistway -trust me- the compensating sheaves claimed another victim (what you call the 'cable return system').

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Also, in this case, saying the 'ride ran it over', is not indicative of the VVC having done it.
Indeed. Though I doubt anything in the hoistway would be brought out so quick as to show guests. Especially if they were in the 5th D (as I assume they were)

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Or we just need to be smart enough to now what kind of ride we are going on and understand the force equated with it and maybe secure the articles a little better, even maybe hold the phone in your hand? Disney is not responsible for lack of common sense
Sarcasm just does not translate well on the internet does it?

76Lo.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom