PeopleMover issues

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's fitting though, wouldn't expect new sleek and smooth vehicles moving through an old haunted abandoned mansion now would you :p

Depends. If that was the original intention, then yes... But I personally believe that the ride being a smooth as possible makes it even more scary. The constant bumping back and forth distracts the mind into reminding you that you're on a ride instead of actually in a haunted house. It breaks the magic.

danyoung56

Yes it used rotating wheels and motors, I believe. @marni1971 would definitely be able to be more specific on it.

You are correct - the DL version used rotating tires in the track to move the cars along, while in Florida it's magnetic induction motors. The audio track in DL came out of the individual cars, whereas in WDW it comes from the speakers above the track. Also the DL version could work going up or down hills. The WDW one is all on the same flat level.

Keith2426

The last time I rode the people mover our car smashed into the car in front of us which was stopped. The car behind then bumped into us. I've been on the people mover over a hundred times and I've never seen that happen.

donsullivan

Premium Member
The last time I rode the people mover our car smashed into the car in front of us which was stopped. The car behind then bumped into us. I've been on the people mover over a hundred times and I've never seen that happen.

This can occasionally happen on a restart and is dependent on exactly where the cars are relative to the magnets when they restart. Since the vehicles have no brakes, they can sometimes get too close together at a stop and the restart can trigger some bumping until they restore normal separation. It doesn't happen a lot, but it isn't something new.

danyoung56

I saw this happen when the track magnets seemed to fail just as the vehicles were rejoining the load platform. A train would hit the platform and then just sit there, or even roll backwards as another train came blasting in. The smackage was pretty serious, and after a couple of collisions the entire system stopped. I saw later in the trip that this had been fixed.

ToyStoryMiss

Was at MK about 7 times from the 12th-22nd and it was constantly broke down. Had it stop when we were on it around 3 times, and saw it broken down multiple other times, with a line going all the way back around to the Launching Pad! :eek:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Was at MK about 7 times from the 12th-22nd and it was constantly broke down. Had it stop when we were on it around 3 times, and saw it broken down multiple other times, with a line going all the way back around to the Launching Pad! :eek:

Are you sure it was actually broken down, or just stopped? Most of the ride stops that occur on the PeopleMover are a result of people loading and unloading too slowly forcing the CM's to stop the attraction for guest safety. Once everything is back on track it takes another minute or so before the system recycles and can restart again. The most extreme example of that I've seen was 3 stops after I got to the top of the load ramp. guests kept taking too long to unload kept forcing the CM's to stop the attraction and go through a restart cycle.

There are certainly times when there are actually problems, but most ride stops on PeopleMover are actually caused by guest behavior.

911deb

This happened to us in August, too. We were stopped and the car behind us smashed into us. Got us moving again though....

MattFrees71

Plausible, though in my experience the ride gets stopped frequently for disabled guests to board and exit as well as idiots standing up constantly.
Haha...well... I briefly stood up back in 09 when Space Mountain was being refurbed to try to get a picture over the construction wall. Ride didn't stop though...

MattFrees71

I agree the WDW peoplemover seemed kind of worn out the last couple times I rode it. A couple trains weren't being loaded and had orange caution cones in them (maybe doors weren't working or something). And I saw the ride stop multiple times (it didn't seem to be for handicapped loading). The escalator ramp kept breaking down very abruptly while people were on (almost enough to make you lose your balance) and either for that reason or maybe for something going on with the ride- twice they stopped loading people while empty cars went by- one time being like 8 minutes. Also a lot of the paint/aesthetic on the escalator ramp, loading area, and on the cars themselves was worn out/chipped looking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom