People stealing resort towels, is it that big of an issue for Disney?

Shellylynn6974

Original Poster
I just want to say that I think Disney has got really great towels in their hotel rooms. And it got me to thinking, how do they prevent people from stealing them on a regular basis? For myself, its just my conscience, I would never do such. But is it a real problem for them?

My family uses a lot of towels while at Disney and at home. Just a simple vice I refuse to do with out. So every evening while at Disney I would always call and get an extra 6 or 7 towels sent up. I bet they thought I was stealing some of them, which I would not even consider doing. But I am thinking maybe some people do. How do they curb such?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Having just returned from Pop, I do not agree with your "really great towels" assessment. They were adequate at best and we needed to use two in order to fully dry off. Towels at the values and moderates are thinner and shorter than the plush towels at the deluxes (which are very nice but not in a million years would it cross my mind to steal one.)
And since the towels are not branded "Disney" in any way that probably lessens the temptation to steal them.

Minnie Mum

I can't imagine that there are a great many towel thieves at the resorts. Frankly, they're no different than most other hotel towels. Unmarked, plain, basic towels. I know that at some hotels housekeeping keeps track of the towels in each room, and they will bill guests when there is a discrepancy. Same for hotel bathrobes. Don't know if Disney resort housekeepers keep a similar tally.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Having just returned from Pop, I do not agree with your "really great towels" assessment. They were adequate at best and we needed to use two in order to fully dry off. Towels at the values and moderates are thinner and shorter than the plush towels at the deluxes (which are very nice but not in a million years would it cross my mind to steal one.)
And since the towels are not branded "Disney" in any way that probably lessens the temptation to steal them.
This^^^

The towels are as plain Jane as you can get making the "souvenir" value near zero. We have a few at the house that were legitimately accidentally packed up in our luggage. They work great as shop towels in the garage.

LowesChevy

I use bath sheets in our home. The resort and pool towels are no match for my Pooh sized figure, but there are folks that like to keep momentos from their trip. I will stick with shampoo and conditioner :happy:

Even when we stay at Marriott resorts we find some of the furnishings, like pots or lamps, in the room are glued down :jawdrop:. I can't believe people would do it, but then again, well yea they do.

Every hotel has ways of accounting for pilferage and has replacement programs in place.

Chaset24

I'm sure people do take the towels.. Also, at many hotels around the country (Idk if Disney does this as well) the blanket thing that drapes across the comforter at the foot of the bed is either washed a couple times each year, or even less than that. Some hotels wash them frequently, but think about that next time you plop down on a hotel bed lol. :po_Oo_O

thomas998

I have to agree with @Tuvalu. The towels are average at best at value and moderate and a bit better at Deluxe. There isn't really anything special about them that would intrigue me to abscond with them.
We took home a few on one trip because the housekeeping would create new towel animals each day and leave on the kids bed. Initially I was just going to try to figure out how they made a couple of them and do it with a towel at home but we were told by housekeeping that we could take them as souvenirs... Of course they didn't last long at home as souvenirs until they were unfolded and eventually lost in the shuffle of our own towels... But they always seemed rougher than the towels we are used to, even the ones in the deluxe resorts didn't seem all that great.

mm121

We took home a few on one trip because the housekeeping would create new towel animals each day and leave on the kids bed. Initially I was just going to try to figure out how they made a couple of them and do it with a towel at home but we were told by housekeeping that we could take them as souvenirs... Of course they didn't last long at home as souvenirs until they were unfolded and eventually lost in the shuffle of our own towels... But they always seemed rougher than the towels we are used to, even the ones in the deluxe resorts didn't seem all that great.
they purposely use older towels for the towel animals, so then when people take them they were just going to be thrown away soon anyways

disney4life2008

I think this was common place in the 90s and earlier. I remember Disney having soft sheets and beautiful soft towels. But now the towels are horrible. They are hard and i hate seeing hair in them. I have gotten to a point where I bring my own towel and wash cloth sometimes. I wouldn't want to bring Disney germs home with me. Now the soaps are a different story

Shellylynn6974

Original Poster
We are going to the Art of Animation next year. I might have a different feeling towards thier towels, but I was really impressed with the ones at the Lodge.

EOD K9

We are going to the Art of Animation next year. I might have a different feeling towards thier towels, but I was really impressed with the ones at the Lodge.
That's the thing. I'm a DVC member and the towels are fairly decent in those resorts. Back in November the in laws took all their grandkids and parents there, so to make it affordable, we stayed at AoA. I can tell you that the towels are much shorter and thinner at the values.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The towels suck... so you don't take them.

On dcl, the towels are better but they know they will lose plenty on excursions. They hand them out like candy... they just expect to have a loss %...

Those pillows tho... they know ppl want them :)

Shellylynn6974

Original Poster
That's the thing. I'm a DVC member and the towels are fairly decent in those resorts. Back in November the in laws took all their grandkids and parents there, so to make it affordable, we stayed at AoA. I can tell you that the towels are much shorter and thinner at the values.
That's what I'm expecting.

LeighM

Yeah the towels at Riverside aren't anything special and I think they're a little too rough. However, that didn't stop me and the husband from accidentally taking an entire bag one trip. In our defense, they were leaving a bag of towels, wash clothes, soap, and shampoo outside of our door every single day of our trip because we had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door (I don't like housekeeping in our room). We left them outside hoping that housekeeping would take them the next day when they saw it wasn't taken. However, it stayed there so we brought it inside. Then the next day, there was another bag. And another. So we needed one of those larger bags to put our dirty clothes in so we put the towels in the bathroom and used the bag. But when we were packing up the car in a hurry, we took the bag with our clothes and accidentally the bag with the towels. Realized it when we got home. We still have those towels in the bag too! We don't like them but I guess it's good if we ever have company LOL.

Last edited:

NiarrNDisney

I too took a small towel bird that Housekeeping made, they also told me I could take it home so I did! Honestly I just wanted more Mickey soaps than the old towels they folded but they stopped refilling the dish after a couple days :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom