Party of 6 vs Party of 5 (Huge Difference in planning)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I thought about offsite and then decided to spend the extra money to stay on property as this will likely be a once every 5 years vacation. I'm a bit untrusting of DVC rentals and didn't want to mess with vacation insurance.

I can only speak from personal experience as a renter, but I've never had any problem renting my points nor have my renters. I don't have the points now, but Dave's rentals is a huge site and I'm sure it works. If you are staying onsite, it is the best way to get the most bang for your buck in most instances.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I should note, I've only rented to friends, given them fair market value determined after 10.7 seconds of internetz research. I tell them to check the packages they can get with a travel agent. Most of the time it is cheaper for them to rent from me. I'd really look into renting points for a party of 6.

slappy magoo

Renting DVC points is more trouble then it's worth and in the end you are not going to save any more then Disney's current discounted promotion. The sites that rent points charge basically the same amount Disney does.

How do you figure that?

A quick check shows a 1 bedroom, standard view at Kidani in early October through Disney using their Enchanted room promotion is $4270. The same room through Dave's is $2528.

The same criteria at OKW is $3395 with Disney and $2784 with Dave's.

When it comes to renting points from David's (or any individual DVC member), depending on the season and promotion, a 1BR can often be close to break-even rental versus traditional booking. The reason being the amount of points needed for a 1BR is quite often nearly double the amount of points needed for a studio, but if you're booking a room for "cash" the 1BR is never nearly double the price of a studio.

Not always, but often.

This is a moot point for the OP though since with a party of 6 it would have to be a 2BR unit anyway.

And I'd also highly suggest to the OP that you at least look at renting via David's. Lots of people here swear by them, and they take a lot of the grief out of the process. Just looking at January 7-15 using their cost calculator, you can get 2BR units around $3500 at Animal Kingdom (standard view), Boardwalk (standard) OKW and Saratoga. So for that same $500 a night, you're getting a Deluxe resort, and because the second bedroom has 2 queen sized beds, no one still has to sleep on a sleeper sofa or chair (unless one of your kids decides they'd rather sleep in the living room or something). Full kitchen if you want it. 2 bathrooms (at least 2, if you book at Animal Kingdom or Bay Lake it'll be 3). Privacy for the parents. A washer and dryer which is great so you can pack less without having to spend a precious afternoon in a laundry area. More on-site dining options especially for sit-down meals.

Of course, this is also all based on availability which David's can't check until you make an official request from them. But at the very least you can usually find room this far out in all of those resorts except Boardwalk. Definitely OKW and Saratoga.

And for less than a thousand dollars more you start looking at 2BR units in more traditionally desirable locations, BLT, Beach Club, Wilderness. Or better locations/views at the other aforementioned resorts. Heck, for less than 4 grand you could (based on availability) rent the points necessary to get you two studios at the Poly.

Give them a look.

wdwfan22

How do you figure that?

A quick check shows a 1 bedroom, standard view at Kidani in early October through Disney using their Enchanted room promotion is $4270. The same room through Dave's is $2528.

The same criteria at OKW is $3395 with Disney and $2784 with Dave's.

Well for a week in September 7 nights @ Saratoga Springs using Dave's vacation rental site a 2 bedroom is $498.00 a night through Disney it's only $451 a night.

AndrewsJ

Personally, I would save $3,000 and stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a 2BR Dlx. On the high end, you are looking at $1,200 for the 2BR unit, maybe $300 for a rental car if you need one. You can upgrade one of the passes to an AP to get free parking (nets out to break even with free MM and free parking). That adds merchandise and dining discounts. On top of that, you get a resort with amenities that are at worst as good as Disney Deluxe resorts.

Another option to look at is a campsite. You can get a rental camper and the site for about $250/nt. Add in a golf cart rental and you are at about $2,500 (give or take). I would never pay $4,000 to stay on Disney property for 8-nights, even if I won Powerball.
Please don't do this.

jaklgreen

We've rented points from dvcrentalstore and have never had an issue; Dave's is very similar to them. As for your mention of vacation insurance, DH and I have never used it and its never been an issue (knock on wood). Also, there have been times that we've found discounts via Disney AP that have been less costly for a DVC than using the rental companies. If one person in your party (you or your spouse), you get the discounts for the room, meals, etc... The person with the AP has to be present to get the discount.

I have rented points also in the past and never had an issue. I would stick to one of these 2 trusted companies. OP, I would definitely look into it. You can get a 2 bedroom suite with rented points cheaper then 2 rooms.

jaklgreen

Well for a week in September 7 nights @ Saratoga Springs using Dave's vacation rental site a 2 bedroom is $498.00 a night through Disney it's only $451 a night.

No it is not $451/ night. It is $645/night. A 1 bedroom is $452/night. I don't know where you are looking. Please post this amazing deal for all of us to see.

Rlandrigan

We ran into the same issue - 2 rooms at POR, a junior Suite at CSR, or AoA. Point rental or the Cabins may be good options, but I think you already have the best transport option without finding a 2BR at half price at a deluxe. I'd definitely look at renting points, and see if something comes up.

Amos1784

Hello,

We are taking the kids to Disney for the first time (Ages 8,6,6,6) in January 2018. Our budget is pretty large as we've planned to spend about $11k (All expenses considered) for an eight night stay at Port Orleans Riverside. Due to having a family of 6, this required the purchase of two rooms since the max per room was 5. Initially, the plan was to get a Nemo Suite at AOA. Given that both options were about $500 per night, we choose the moderate resort as Port Orleans looks way better than AOA.

What bums me out is that we are going during Value Season and willing to spend $500 a night on a hotel but can't get into a Deluxe Resort due to one extra family member. I guess rules were put in place to prevent multiple families from cramming into one room.

I'd feel better if I was spending $2300 for an eight night stay for one room at a moderate. Spending $4600, I'd prefer to be in a Deluxe.

Thoughts?

I know some might disagree but if I were you I would save the money and stay in a family suite at Art of Animation. If I look right now they are running around $360/night in January. There are two bathrooms and would put you all in the same suite and have indoor entrances, something you wont get with a moderate. I admittedly am not a huge fan of Moderates I do not think the amenities give you that much more than some of the values (not all stars) for the price you are going to pay so we only either stay Value or Deluxe depending on the situation. Art of Animation has a pretty good food court and actually more choices then you are going to get at Riverside or French Quarter (not taking into account table service/lounge if you are going to use that). Bus service is going to be no better/worse at Art of Animation if anything I think it would be on the better side as Riverside is a very large resort with many stops. Good luck finding a fit for your family!

CaptainAmerica

Ft Wilderness Cabins!!!

Check out @MySmallWorldof4 's TR. she recently stayed there with a family of 6. Convenient to MK, as well as WL, and the monorail restaurants, and the grounds are beautiful.
Oh heck no. We had two cabins for a party of seven and it was borderline too small. I'd never recommend a single cabin for a party of six.

Don't put one adult on the room reservation. Just buy them a ticket like they are staying off site.
That would be illegal even if it weren't embarrassingly tacky. Occupancy restrictions are driven by fire and health regulations, not Disney being draconian.

21stamps

Oh heck no. We had two cabins for a party of seven and it was borderline too small. I'd never recommend a single cabin for a party of six.

That would be illegal even if it weren't embarrassingly tacky. Occupancy restrictions are driven by fire and health regulations, not Disney being draconian.

It looks like there would be more space in a cabin than in 2 standard hotel rooms, and especially more than an AoA suite, no? Put the kids in the bedroom and the adults on the pull out sofa. I haven't stayed at the cabins or AoA, just going off of photos and videos, as well as the trip report.

CaptainAmerica

It looks like there would be more space in a cabin than in 2 standard hotel rooms, no? Put the kids in the bedroom and the adults on the pull out sofa. I haven't stayed there, just going off of photos and videos, as well as the trip report.
500 square feet versus 300 square feet each in two moderate rooms for a total of 600. Not to mention just the one bathroom versus two.

A bigger issue than the square footage is the bed situation IMO. You're trading four queen beds for one queen bed, two less-than-twin beds, and a pull-out queen bed. That's a big problem unless your children are very small.

For the record, I absolutely adore the cabins. I just view them more as an option for a medium-sized family that wants extra privacy rather than a large family that needs extra space. We'll probably stay in the cabins next summer when baby #2 arrives since my wife won't be able to sleep in the same room as her without waking every five minutes.

Last edited:

21stamps

500 square feet versus 300 square feet each in two moderate rooms for a total of 600. Not to mention just the one bathroom versus two.

A bigger issue than the square footage is the bed situation IMO. You're trading four queen beds for one queen bed, two less-than-twin beds, and a pull-out queen bed. That's a big problem unless your children are very small.

For the record, I absolutely adore the cabins. I just view them more as an option for a medium-sized family that wants extra privacy rather than a large family that needs extra space. We'll probably stay in the cabins next summer when baby #2 arrives since my wife won't be able to sleep in the same room as her without waking every five minutes.

I don't know.. between the 2 choices I'd probably pick the cabins. More living space, even if square footage is less, and I think they have a deck to sit out on.

But, the one bathroom thing would be tough. I'm surprised the cabins don't have at least a half bath.

Alpineslide

Ft Wilderness has other showers available in the campsite ares. If six people are staying in a cabin a few party members could go use those showers if need be.

Rumrunner

OP, I get your frustration, but I think you'll really POR. I like that it has a relaxing vibe to it, which is nice after busy days in the park. I think you'll also appreciate having 2 bathrooms and a door between the rooms that you could close while the kids are napping/sleeping if you choose to?

For your particular situation (meaning it is your immediate family with 4 kids and your family number exceeds the allowable number of people in this room), you can book in a way that is 1 reservation for the 2 rooms and be guaranteed connecting rooms. It has to be called in though--you can't do it online.
Thanks for the advice about booking the need for connecting rooms as one reservation. That is very helpful for my situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom