Party of 6 vs Party of 5 (Huge Difference in planning)

Mike_Gordon

Original Poster
Hello,

We are taking the kids to Disney for the first time (Ages 8,6,6,6) in January 2018. Our budget is pretty large as we've planned to spend about $11k (All expenses considered) for an eight night stay at Port Orleans Riverside. Due to having a family of 6, this required the purchase of two rooms since the max per room was 5. Initially, the plan was to get a Nemo Suite at AOA. Given that both options were about $500 per night, we choose the moderate resort as Port Orleans looks way better than AOA.

What bums me out is that we are going during Value Season and willing to spend $500 a night on a hotel but can't get into a Deluxe Resort due to one extra family member. I guess rules were put in place to prevent multiple families from cramming into one room.

I'd feel better if I was spending $2300 for an eight night stay for one room at a moderate. Spending $4600, I'd prefer to be in a Deluxe.

Thoughts?

wdwmamamouse

There are a number of jr. suites available at various hotels - WL, AK, CR, etc...since you are going during value season you may be able to get a discount off the rack rate to bring the price more in line with your budget.
That said, our family of five really have enjoyed Port Orleans Riverside --the resort has a great main pool (plus 5 smaller pools), a good food court, watercraft to Disney Springs plus beautiful landscaping --- you can also walk around the lake to enjoy the pool at Port Orleans French Quarter. While not a deluxe, it is a lovely resort and certainly more affordable - and the bus service is good. We drive so the only time we really need the bus is for MK (because parking is more of a challenge there). Make sure you request connecting rooms and call WDW about two weeks before your arrival date and make sure your request is highlighted. Hope you will have a wonderful time!

BigRedDad

Personally, I would save $3,000 and stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a 2BR Dlx. On the high end, you are looking at $1,200 for the 2BR unit, maybe $300 for a rental car if you need one. You can upgrade one of the passes to an AP to get free parking (nets out to break even with free MM and free parking). That adds merchandise and dining discounts. On top of that, you get a resort with amenities that are at worst as good as Disney Deluxe resorts.

Another option to look at is a campsite. You can get a rental camper and the site for about $250/nt. Add in a golf cart rental and you are at about $2,500 (give or take). I would never pay $4,000 to stay on Disney property for 8-nights, even if I won Powerball.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hello,

We are taking the kids to Disney for the first time (Ages 8,6,6,6) in January 2018. Our budget is pretty large as we've planned to spend about $11k (All expenses considered) for an eight night stay at Port Orleans Riverside. Due to having a family of 6, this required the purchase of two rooms since the max per room was 5. Initially, the plan was to get a Nemo Suite at AOA. Given that both options were about $500 per night, we choose the moderate resort as Port Orleans looks way better than AOA.

What bums me out is that we are going during Value Season and willing to spend $500 a night on a hotel but can't get into a Deluxe Resort due to one extra family member. I guess rules were put in place to prevent multiple families from cramming into one room.

I'd feel better if I was spending $2300 for an eight night stay for one room at a moderate. Spending $4600, I'd prefer to be in a Deluxe.

Thoughts?
Room occupancy is based on the fire code. Sure, Disney could design resorts to accommodate more people per room, but that means fewer rooms per resort, more maintenance, etc. Since parties of 4-5 are the most common by far, that is the number Disney has chosen to work with.

As to options you have a few.

Probably the most affordable would be to look at renting DVC points from a place live Dave's DVC rentals. There are some hoops you have to jump through, but in the end you can often end up in a 2 bedroom DVC room for around the price of your average standard room at a deluxe resort.

The cabins at Ft Wilderness will accommodate 6 and you will get a full kitchen to boot.

If you are willing to go off property, renting a vacation home is surprisingly affordable. There are also a number of Timeshare properties in and around Disney that can accommodate you as well.

Mike_Gordon

Original Poster
I thought about offsite and then decided to spend the extra money to stay on property as this will likely be a once every 5 years vacation. I'm a bit untrusting of DVC rentals and didn't want to mess with vacation insurance.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I thought about offsite and then decided to spend the extra money to stay on property as this will likely be a once every 5 years vacation. I'm a bit untrusting of DVC rentals and didn't want to mess with vacation insurance.
Understandable. Every time I stay off property I am reminded of why I stay on property.:)

I would however at least give Dave's DVC a once over. While I have never personally used them, I know a number of people who have and they get very good reviews. Quite honestly, the only negative reviews I have seen on them are people that are mad that Dave's followed the cancellation policy the customer agreed to.

MaryJaneP

We would think the advantages of not sharing one bathroom for 6 people would be self-evident, but apparently not everyone agrees with this truism. We are looking at two rooms for 5 adults for our next visit primarily for this very reason. Ask for adjoining rooms, no guarantee, but given the age of the youngsters and the value-season time of your visit, your odds are better in getting this.

DisneyGigi

It is a lot more difficult when you add that 6th person even if it is a baby. We could stay at Boardwalk villas studio but not a 1 br villa. The studios accommodate a 6th person but not a 1 br. Go figure! We ended up booking Old Key West thru Disney (1 br) it was cheaper than 2 rooms at Coronado and not much more than the suite at AoA. I would definitely call, they can give you all the options.

DisneyAubs

OP, I get your frustration, but I think you'll really POR. I like that it has a relaxing vibe to it, which is nice after busy days in the park. I think you'll also appreciate having 2 bathrooms and a door between the rooms that you could close while the kids are napping/sleeping if you choose to?

For your particular situation (meaning it is your immediate family with 4 kids and your family number exceeds the allowable number of people in this room), you can book in a way that is 1 reservation for the 2 rooms and be guaranteed connecting rooms. It has to be called in though--you can't do it online.

Disvillain63

We've rented points from dvcrentalstore and have never had an issue; Dave's is very similar to them. As for your mention of vacation insurance, DH and I have never used it and its never been an issue (knock on wood). Also, there have been times that we've found discounts via Disney AP that have been less costly for a DVC than using the rental companies. If one person in your party (you or your spouse), you get the discounts for the room, meals, etc... The person with the AP has to be present to get the discount.

R W B

Like others mentioned, I would stay in a cabin in Ft Wilderness. Plenty of space and a full kitchen also.

My sister in law has the same issue as you admin the past when we go together we have to have one of their kids on our reservation because they like to stay at the Poly which only holds 5. We'll this trip they have grown to a family of 7 so they will be staying in a ft Wilderness cabin and we still will have one of their kids on our reservation lol.

We're gonna run out of ideas if they keep having babies haha

Disvillain63

More DVC are opened to the public after giving time for owners to book. I have found the best availability to be between 5-6 mos. of my planned dates. It is pretty easy to make changes online, if you already have a reservation. Also, if you choose to go through one of the rentals, they may have an owner who just submitted a need.

Lets Respect

You might be able to get a 2 BR at Saratoga Springs or Old Key West direct from Disney for that amount. Then you would really have plenty of space to spread out

Just wait for the room discounts to come out, I'm not sure what month they put those out for January. Those two resorts are usually included

wdwfan22

Renting DVC points is more trouble then it's worth and in the end you are not going to save any more then Disney's current discounted promotion. The sites that rent points charge basically the same amount Disney does.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Renting DVC points is more trouble then it's worth and in the end you are not going to save any more then Disney's current discounted promotion. The sites that rent points charge basically the same amount Disney does.
How do you figure that?

A quick check shows a 1 bedroom, standard view at Kidani in early October through Disney using their Enchanted room promotion is $4270. The same room through Dave's is $2528.

The same criteria at OKW is $3395 with Disney and $2784 with Dave's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom