News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

nevol

It is becoming increasingly likely that Star Wars will open without any additional parking in place. And the losers in all of this are DLR visitors and Anaheim residents. Guests will have no place to park and the streets will be clogged constantly with residents upset as they can't get around.

In addition to possibly saving Marvel announcement for ComiCon, this eastern gateway project stall could also be the reason Marvel was not fleshed out more at D23.

Disneyland's feud with anaheim is the gift that keeps on giving...the westcot sagas continue.

mickEblu

It is becoming increasingly likely that Star Wars will open without any additional parking in place. And the losers in all of this are DLR visitors and Anaheim residents. Guests will have no place to park and the streets will be clogged constantly with residents upset as they can't get around.

In addition to possibly saving Marvel announcement for ComiCon, this eastern gateway project stall could also be the reason Marvel was not fleshed out more at D23.

I'm wondering if they will even say anything at ComiCon considering the state of the eastern gateway project and the droopiness of the bags under Mayor Taints eyes.

TP2000

But he's term limited, isn't he? Could Disney try to wait it out until a new mayor comes in 2018?

Correct, the Anaheim City Council is limited to two terms. He's a registered Republican, but wants to appear populist, quasi-libertarian, and most prominently anti-Disney to leverage that into his next political gig at the state level. That's about the only way a Republican has a shot at statewide office in California in the 2010's, and Mayor Tait is trying to get some legislative wins against Disney under his belt to bolster that street cred before 2018.

It's just... messy. And TDA has to pretend they aren't investing a Billion dollars into the property over the next five years while they wait it out. Eventually, something has to give.

mickEblu

Correct, the Anaheim City Council is limited to two terms. He's a registered Republican, but wants to appear populist, quasi-libertarian, and most prominently anti-Disney to leverage that into his next political gig at the state level. That's about the only way a Republican has a shot at statewide office in California in the 2010's, and Mayor Tait is trying to get some legislative wins against Disney under his belt to bolster that street cred before 2018.

It's just... messy. And TDA has to pretend they aren't investing a Billion dollars into the property over the next five years while they wait it out. Eventually, something has to give.

Why is appearing anti Disney a good thing in politics?

TP2000

View attachment 216079
Disney has demand for it, so this is what I would love to see happen. A 700 room 4 or 5 star hotel (whatever they are calling it) in the Red section, as previously mentioned. Ideally in a victoriana style since we have two mid-century-to-contemporary resorts (that are ironically pretending not to be). In the blue plot, where the very temporary looking security checks are and the tram to mickey and friends, the 400-room star wars boutique hotel. You'll notice I very lazily moved the tram loading //security check plot west to fill in most of Pinocchio.

Why this plot, why could it work? Despite its proximity to M+F, the hotel they are proposing has no windows. I'm sure some California state law prohibits hotel room construction without windows, but an augmented window system that is defaulted to outer space and optionally can be switched to "window" could work. Given that most/all people will not be looking out the windows at all in that type of LARP hotel experience, the proximity is a non-issue. Also, disneyland resort has no space, so to act pretend this isn't the case is irresponsible. In this very rare case, a hyper-luxury hotel could sit next to a parking garage without destroying the guest experience. That is a rare opportunity to maximize the site and under no other circumstance is that going to be possible.

This would also place the hotel directly behind the battle escape show building and would allow for the facade to look like set extensions of mountains with windows/hotel structures extruding like the architecture in the concept art for star wars land when necessary. The show buildings are tall enough that from the ground level they will block out M+F, so the only concern here would be sightlines from the ROA and any instances if/when the 400 room hotel is taller than M+F (doubtful, no?) This would improve the product overall; we wont have a half-@$$ star wars wing, and the non-star wars hotel won't have to give up half its rooms. I won't mind the star wars wing if it is built to deliver the same level of immersion as DHS's new hotel, but at this point, if you are going to build a product like that at all, and something ultra-immersive is in development for florida, don't shoot yourself in the foot; get it right.

Love that plan!

I'll just put this here, as I feel enough time has lapsed to shield the innocent....

At a dinner party earlier this year I was chatting with someone who has daily access to Anaheim City Hall. She had seen the official WDI-produced sketches of the proposed luxury hotel on the Downtown Disney lots and described it as a very modern looking building; low-slung at about five to seven stories tall, swoopy and glassy with lots of curves, looked like something from the 21st century and not themed to a vintage period of any kind. Surrounded by lush landscaping and modern gardens. She said it was pretty and was obviously made to look upscale and swanky, but very modern.

Take that as you will. But at least a few months ago the plan for the luxury hotel was not something "themed" to a historic period. It was a fancy, swanky, modern hotel.

Maybe one of our insiders here can weigh in? Was my dinner companion correct in her description of the luxury hotel coming to Downtown Disney's parking lots?

TP2000

Why is appearing anti Disney a good thing in politics?

That's a whole other can of worms! It's just the current state of politics in California. Mayor Tait may have misjudged the political tides with that one, but as a lifelong Republican that's what he's hitched his career wagon to. Populist and anti corporate welfare.

Backing away from political talk.... :D

So, gang, how about that Pixar Pier?!? I wonder if we get more details at Comic-Con since Pixar will have an official presence there?

They've admitted it's happening, so I wonder if they say something about it down in San Diego this weekend?

Last edited:

nevol

I like the sound of that! And thanks for the support. At some point though, a period specific hotel wouldn't be so bad. The lazy embrace of the "urban resort" theme is just lazy. Mission style, deco, and victoriana architecture is all over hyper-dense southern california; the lack of retention ponds, golf courses, and undeveloped land around each property doesn't ruin it or limit it to a contemporary, midcentury, googie, or "urban" style. That was pure laziness (not this particular hotel, but the original resort plan in general) especially since they didn't thematically embrace one of those retro modern styles in the guest quarters.

Hopefully since he only wants to **appear** a populist and actually isn't, he will give them a good fight, and quietly approve the plans at the end of his term somehow. No idea how anaheim's city hall functions, but something like the dynamic between the president and congress could work in his favor; like him not signing off on it when he knows it has enough votes in the chamber to overrule it and send it through, then he could publicly save face while knowingly pass the plans. Ideal, but I know the anaheim councilmembers represent people who are likely far more anti-disney than the mayor is. Dear Anaheim residents, there is this great state called Texas where you can live in a 5,000 square foot house on 500,000! Which puts starter homes in the 1-2 range! You don't need to be there!

mickEblu

That's a whole other can of worms! It's just the current state of politics in California. Mayor Tait may have misjudged the political tides with that one, but as a lifelong Republican that's what he's hitched his career wagon to. Populist and anti corporate welfare.

Backing away from political talk.... :D

So, gang, how about that Pixar Pier?!? I wonder if we get more details at Comic-Con since Pixar will have an official presence there?

They've admitted it's happening, so I wonder if they say something about it down in San Diego this weekend?

That's funny because If anything I would view Disneyland as Republican friendly. It's located in Orange County with many of its guests from there. Walt was a Republican (I think). Its place in Americana. The Patriotism ( end of MSEP, flag salute ceremonies). The ties to Christianity (candle light processional every Christmas).

I'm not really into politics. So if any of this sounds stupid stop me. Lol

nevol

That's funny because If anything I would view Disneyland as Republican friendly. It's located in Orange County with many of its guests from there. Walt was a Republican (I think). Its place in Americana. The Patriotism ( end of MSEP, flag salute ceremonies). The ties to Christianity (candle light processional every Christmas).

I'm not really into politics. So if any of this sounds stupid stop me. Lol

Yea but that's why he's pretending to be anti-Disney. More people in California are liberal so in order to get elected in California you have to be as left of center as possible.

I'll put my hope and trust into his fraudulent political ways and just await the deal at the end of his term.

mickEblu

Yea but that's why he's pretending to be anti-Disney. More people in California are liberal so in order to get elected in California you have to be as left of center as possible.

I'll put my hope and trust into his fraudulent political ways and just await the deal at the end of his term.

Good point. It sounds like he genuinely doesn't like Disney though.

nevol

Good point. It sounds like he genuinely doesn't like Disney though.
I think/hope it is just local politics. In the class conflict in anaheim, residents' prime target is Disneyland. They see it as public enemy number one, so he has to play to that. I don't recall all the details, but recently they restructured the anaheim city council election process. I think they started to gerrymander it a bit so that not everybody would be in disney's pockets. Now there are people getting elected from particular communities, working class etc so it has made the whole process more difficult for Disney recently.

Stevek

Love that plan!

I'll just put this here, as I feel enough time has lapsed to shield the innocent....

At a dinner party earlier this year I was chatting with someone who has daily access to Anaheim City Hall. She had seen the official WDI-produced sketches of the proposed luxury hotel on the Downtown Disney lots and described it as a very modern looking building; low-slung at about five to seven stories tall, swoopy and glassy with lots of curves, looked like something from the 21st century and not themed to a vintage period of any kind. Surrounded by lush landscaping and modern gardens. She said it was pretty and was obviously made to look upscale and swanky, but very modern.

Take that as you will. But at least a few months ago the plan for the luxury hotel was not something "themed" to a historic period. It was a fancy, swanky, modern hotel.

Maybe one of our insiders here can weigh in? Was my dinner companion correct in her description of the luxury hotel coming to Downtown Disney's parking lots?

But will it have a cool themed bar where I can buy collectible mugs and bigger Disnerds can buy even more mugs and put them on ebay to gouge other fans?

D

Deleted member 107043

Eventually, something has to give.

I'm betting it'll be the streets, off-ramps, and walkways leading to DLR come 2019 if they don't do something soon.

I bet most voters living in Anaheim have little awareness of the pending gridlock nightmare that's about to come their way. This is where the local news media isn't doing its job. In addition to in-depth stories on Disneyland attraction changes and retired Imagineers the LA Times, or another media source with with influence, ought to expose what's going on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom