Pandora: The World Of Avatar - A Somewhat Letdown?

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
This is typical forum BS, people starting threads based on YouTube ride videos. When the land actually opens to the public go ride it and form a real opinion based on first hand experience not hearsay. I will say that the OP is well written for a 15 year old. We have old folks here that have trouble with proper grammar.

I bet you didn't even read my post. If you did you'd realise I don't hate Pandora, in fact I still think it looks cool. I was just pointing out my initial reactions based on what we've seen.

NormC

Actually I did read it. My point still stands. Your title says "a somewhat letdown" and your initial reactions are based on internet postings of others. Come back when you can post about your personal experience. I know you don't hate it. You can't hate something you haven't tried yet.

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
Someone uploaded the full ride online. We don't see too much of the ride vehicles overall movement, but at least we have the full ride footage. Like I said earlier, it does look pretty fun. My only real complaint from this is that the actual ride footage looks a bit generic with only a few "stand-out" moments. Nonetheless it does seem like a good attraction.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMxeDMPvSnI

Dads 2 Boys

So far, a lot of people seem to agree with me for the most part. However there are some who don't agree with me. Now I am perfectly fine with this. I understand why many enjoy it, and more power to you. However, some feel the need to criticize me of sharing my opinion. For starters, I never said I hate Pandora or don't like it. I think it still looks cool and I am excited to go next December.

All I said was that I was disappointed with some parts of it, mainly Na'vi River Journey. Flight Of Passage looks like fun, all I really did was point out some flaws I believe. This always happens to me when it comes to new attractions at any park, it may take me a while to warm up to anything new, really. Also, I said that this probably isn't my final opinion, maybe I'll end up loving the area. Just right now I find many things that could have been done far better.

I think the main attendee against your points is you are making judgements and opinions of something you have not actually been to our experienced.

Tom Morrow

I have not seen Pandora other than a 3-set 360 photo. At the end of the day, it is just going to be another basic land. Yes, it is new. The concepts and imagineering outside is great. Boiling it down though you have....

Na'vi River: Glorified IASW and PotC. It simply has a few new technology additions. However, it is still a slow boat ride.

FoW: It is a flight simulator. Soarin, Star Tours do that already. In the end, it is existing attractions with a Pandora feel.
I mean, if you're going to be this petty, and judge entire lands based on whether or not similar rides exist...

Diagon Alley is literally just a Harry Potter mall with a very weak roller coaster that includes otherwise extremely familiar scenes and elements from other Universal screen attractions.

Cars Land is just a Cars mall/food court with carnival rides and Test Track.

Since1976

Probably already been said, but can a land that was bashed (fairly or not) the moment it was first announced, really be considered a letdown when it finally opens?

disneygeek90

Someone uploaded the full ride online. We don't see too much of the ride vehicles overall movement, but at least we have the full ride footage. Like I said earlier, it does look pretty fun. My only real complaint from this is that the actual ride footage looks a bit generic with only a few "stand-out" moments. Nonetheless it does seem like a good attraction.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMxeDMPvSnI
Watching a decent quality video on Youtube gives you about 5% of what you feel, hear and see while actually riding it. I'm not sure how you can even claim this. It's an extremely unique simulator experience that you are trying to write off as a generic short film...

JIMINYCR

I was never a fan of the film and was not enthusiastic about the project when it was announced, thinking other things could be better, but at least Disney was moving forward on something new so I'm giving it a chance. So far the you tube posts and videos I've watched give me some encouragement. Friends will be there shortly after the area opens and I'll get their reaction to it. I'll experience it myself in 2018 and make my own judgement.

rufio

Na'vi River: Glorified IASW and PotC. It simply has a few new technology additions. However, it is still a slow boat ride.

FoW: It is a flight simulator. Soarin, Star Tours do that already. In the end, it is existing attractions with a Pandora feel.

Respectfully disagree. There are many dark rides and simulators in theme parks everywhere, but there is incredible new technology in both these rides that make them something completely new! For example, the projections and AAs in Na'Vi River Journey were both unlike anything I've ever seen. My jaw was on the floor and I was not the only one in awe. In reference to Flight of Passage, I am completely unable to do just about every simulator without a massive dose of Dramamine, but I was able to do this one with no issues! Again, it is a simulator, but it is unlike any other I've ever done. The ride vehicles along with the amazing video and smells/wind/water made it my new favorite ride (from someone who CANNOT stomach simulators)! Again, I really feel like people need to see these for themselves before passing judgment.

disneygeek90

Respectfully disagree. There are many dark rides and simulators in theme parks everywhere, but there is incredible new technology in both these rides that make them something completely new! For example, the projections and AAs in Na'Vi River Journey were both unlike anything I've ever seen. My jaw was on the floor and I was not the only one in awe. In reference to Flight of Passage, I am completely unable to do just about every simulator without a massive dose of Dramamine, but I was able to do this one with no issues! Again, it is a simulator, but it is unlike any other I've ever done. The ride vehicles along with the amazing video and smells/wind/water made it my new favorite ride (from someone who CANNOT stomach simulators)! Again, I really feel like people need to see these for themselves before passing judgment.

I loved the water effects. It was like I was truly there flying above the ocean. It wasn’t a “squirt” you get in most rides, more of a steady, realistic mist.

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
For the last time, how many times do I have to say it? This is not my final opinion. I don't think it looks downright bad, I'm simply pointing out the things that I think they should've worked on more. Flight Of Passage? It looks fun! Na'vi River Journey? It's got cool AAs! I'm not bashing or trying to destroy other people's opinions. I haven't been there yet and I understand that this is would be unfair... as an official opinion. The problem is it's not my official opinion.

I'm going to WDW in December, and then I will get to visit Pandora and form a proper view on the area. It feels as if everyone just thinks "This guy's saying something he's not impressed by, that must mean he hates Disney! We must band together and tell him he's wrong and that every Disney attraction is perfect!". And when some of you start telling me that everything about Pandora is fantastic is basically you forcing an opinion on me because (GASPS) I have been there yet.

I'm seriously trying to stay calm and have a good discussion, but I can't if some people have to keep reminding me of something I obviously understand. If people keep bugging me to agree with them, then fine: I love Pandora. It's amazing and the rides are the absolute best!!!!!

Also, I understand some of my criticizing of Flight Of Passage is taking a few liberties, but in my opinion Na'vi River Journey looks bland just from the videos I've seen (but I can't judge it yet until I go on it so I can... Feel the boat moving, I guess?)

SeanWM48

aside from videos i would consider early reviews from people who have had the chance to see it already.

DIS podcast (sorry if i'm not supposed to reference them on this site?) gave it rave reviews and those guys love to pick things apart so when they put it over huge i definitely got interested.

disneygeek90

For the last time, how many times do I have to say it? This is not my final opinion. I don't think it looks downright bad, I'm simply pointing out the things that I think they should've worked on more. Flight Of Passage? It looks fun! Na'vi River Journey? It's got cool AAs! I'm not bashing or trying to destroy other people's opinions. I haven't been there yet and I understand that this is would be unfair... as an official opinion. The problem is it's not my official opinion.

I'm going to WDW in December, and then I will get to visit Pandora and form a proper view on the area. It feels as if everyone just thinks "This guy's saying something he's not impressed by, that must mean he hates Disney! We must band together and tell him he's wrong and that every Disney attraction is perfect!". And when some of you start telling me that everything about Pandora is fantastic is basically you forcing an opinion on me because (GASPS) I have been there yet.

I'm seriously trying to stay calm and have a good discussion, but I can't if some people have to keep reminding me of something I obviously understand. If people keep bugging me to agree with them, then fine: I love Pandora. It's amazing and the rides are the absolute best!!!!!

Also, I understand some of my criticizing of Flight Of Passage is taking a few liberties, but in my opinion Na'vi River Journey looks bland just from the videos I've seen (but I can't judge it yet until I go on it so I can... Feel the boat moving, I guess?)
I guess I'm just a little confused why someone would create a whole thread based on an opinion of a region they have not visited... this could have been tucked into any of the dozens of other threads talking about Pandora as a whole and the perception around it.

rufio

Your thread is literally titled "A Somewhat Letdown?" I'm not quite sure where you expected this to go. That being said, many people have made detailed posts with very good points, but you keep ranting about how everyone's being unfair instead of discussing.

Ricky Spanish

We will be in WDW the first two weeks of June.
Didn't plan our vacation to see Pandora, but we got Fast passes anyway.
Previews/reviews are not a factor
Not really excited about it, but keeping an open mind.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Your thread is literally titled "A Somewhat Letdown?" I'm not quite sure where you expected this to go. That being said, many people have made detailed posts with very good points, but you keep ranting about how everyone's being unfair instead of discussing.

Well no. Since you haven't been there, saying you love it and it's amazing is just as nonsensical as saying you don't like it and it's disappointing.

Give the person a break, you people aren't the thought police.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Is Navi River Journey that bad? I mean im gonna ride it regardless, but that sucks if people really think this or even the whole land lukewarm. I'm starting to think WDI knew that they messed up when they began to make Pandora. Like maybe something in the back of Joe Rohde and many other imagineers minds that kept saying, "should we really make a entire land based on these Smurf cats?"

It's not "bad", but it's not "great" either. It could (should) have been much better. A lot of the technology used in the ride is good though.

MickeyMomV

Has anybody seen the pictures of the new 2017 Lamborghini Aventador? It looks so disappointing and its not impressive at all!! I don't care for the color, the seats look uncomfortable, and there are no cup holders. And I can tell from the picture it only goes as fast as a Ferrari!

I guess I will wait to pass final judgment until I can see it in person and drive one around. Who knows maybe I will like it. (Maybe I should have said Mustang and Corvette because the odds of me driving a Lamborghini are ZERO! Although the DH will love the reference;))

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom