PAINT THE NIGHT - Photos/Video, Reviews & Thoughts

180º

The music may be pop, but listen to the lyrics. It's still something you'd hear at a Disney park and not on the radio. Name me a contemporary song with lyrics similar to When Can We Do This Again.
[EDIT: This post turned out far longer than I expected. Fair warning! ;) ]

A Google search for "Paint the Night When Can We Do This Again lyrics" immediately brings up The Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feelin." Just off the top of my head, see also "Party Rock Anthem" by , "We Are Young" by F.U.N., and anything else that talks about having fun/living it up "tonight." Remember, Owl City's "When Will I See You Again" as it appeared in Wreck-It Ralph played briefly on—and was produced for—the radio. The whole "tonight" "doin this" "put your hands up" "I wanna know" "join in" stuff they added for Paint the Night is the type of thing you'd hear in any Disney parade, yes, but it's also the kind of thing dance-ish pop songs are made of when you remove all the specifics.

Once again, I really don't mind the music in Paint the Night! I think it's just fine. But let's be realistic.

[Tangent/START]

I saw Tomorrowland last night (this is on-topic, I promise), and it captivated me. I totally bought into it and loved it despite its imperfections. However, when I thought about what the movie is if you don't buy into it right away, it's got some good and some bad, notably a script that sputters out at the end and could have used a couple more passes. I understand why it's not a great movie, even though I enjoy it immensely as if it were one. But for the same reasons I loved it, others hated it, and understandably so, because my reasons for loving it are purely subjective, not logical. I think the same thing is happening with the Paint the Night Soundtrack. And WoC:C! and Disneyland Forever for that matter. They aren't unqualified masterpieces, but they give you enough material to either fall in love with them or not.

[Tangent/END]

I don't hate "When Can We Do This Again," but I don't love it either. I can understand why, for example, @raven24 and @Endor Sightseer do love it even though I don't. I'll judge the music as objectively as I can, while understanding that the fact that people enjoy it is worth something to its credit.

And I think that's about all I have to say on the matter.

Californian Elitist

[EDIT: This post turned out far longer than I expected. Fair warning! ;) ]

A Google search for "Paint the Night When Can We Do This Again lyrics" immediately brings up The Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feelin." Just off the top of my head, see also "Party Rock Anthem" by *****, "We Are Young" by F.U.N., and anything else that talks about having fun/living it up "tonight." Remember, Owl City's "When Will I See You Again" as it appeared in Wreck-It Ralph played briefly on—and was produced for—the radio. The whole "tonight" "doin this" "put your hands up" "I wanna know" "join in" stuff they added for Paint the Night is the type of thing you'd hear in any Disney parade, yes, but it's also the kind of thing dance-ish pop songs are made of when you remove all the specifics.

-____- You're honestly telling me "I Gotta Feeling," "Party Rock Anthem (really?)," and "We Are Young" can be compared to "When Can We Do This Again?" I'll give you the "let's have fun tonight" theme, but "WCWDTA" sounds NOTHING like those songs, all of which talk about drinking and going out to clubs, etc. Nothing says let's go out, party, and get drunk like "kick your heels up when you join the fun" and "the magic sets us all aglow." Polar opposites.

Let's not forget the parade is called Paint the NIGHT (think of the popular phrase the name resembles). It's a NIGHTtime parade that is performed at NIGHT. What do lots of people do at night? They have fun. One couldn't have honestly expected the parade's main song to be mellow with lyrics NOT relating to having a good time at night.

Let's be realistic indeed.

180º

@raven24 , I was honestly suggesting they were similar. I just misunderstood you the first time. I apologize, I didn't intend to offend you.

Last edited:

dweezil78

-____- You're honestly telling me "I Gotta Feeling," "Party Rock Anthem (really?)," and "We Are Young" can be compared to "When Can We Do This Again?" I'll give you the "let's have fun tonight" theme, but "WCWDTA" sounds NOTHING like those songs, all of which talk about drinking and going out to clubs, etc. Nothing says let's go out, party, and get drunk like "kick your heels up when you join the fun" and "the magic sets us all aglow." Polar opposites.

I'll second the "I Gotta Feeling" and "Party Rock Anthem" vibe. Not lyrically of course, but tonally it's right in line with those two. It's suuuuuper Black Eyed Peas-y.

TTA94

Are they having issues with the parade route lighting for PTN? In some videos I have seen it lookes like the area lights don't turn off or they turn off late, and some of the tower lights don't turn on or "flash" with the intro...
Also it lookes like they added one or two LED cans to each tower? Are they planning to replace them all?

Bairstow

Aim for kids and you're dead. - Walt

It's a nice-sounding quote, but is it true anymore?

I would argue that shifts in America's culture, especially how we view youth culture, have changed so much in the last half-century that this is no longer true.
Heck, the concept of "teenagers" as a separate demographic wasn't even properly invented until after the Second World War.

latest

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
It's a nice-sounding quote, but is it true anymore?

I would argue that shifts in America's culture, especially how we view youth culture, have changed so much in the last half-century that this is no longer true.
Heck, the concept of "teenagers" as a separate demographic wasn't even properly invented until after the Second World War.

latest

It's absolutely true. If you make content for five year olds, it's awful for everyone else. If you make content the whole family can enjoy on different levels, everyone is happy.

Bairstow

It's absolutely true. If you make content for five year olds, it's awful for everyone else. If you make content the whole family can enjoy on different levels, everyone is happy.

...which would matter if the whole family were watching their one TV set.

That's not how most of the world consumes media in 2015.

family-tablets.jpg

Crazydisneyfanluke

It's definitely great quality, but it's the HKDL version. The differences are mostly minor, but the biggest is no Frozen unit loop. Still cool though!
I said that in the comment section for that video, this was the response:
Extra Music Hours 1 day ago
+TheLuke843 This audio was actually given to me 4 months before the show first aired, which dates before those pieces were added in. They were last minute for the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom