Our Not-So-Merry Thanksgiving Vacation

This past week was my 26th vacation to WDW, and it was a complete disaster. :lol: I will attempt to put a coherent trip report together while still recovering emotionally.

My sister and I both had pretty horrible things going on in our lives over the past year and a half. In an effort to get away from the gloom and doom, our parents decided to take both of our families to Disney World for Thanksgiving 2011. They paid for all the airfare, hotels, tickets, etc. and our only job was to show up and have a good time. My sister's family and my parents live in upstate NY and I live in southern California. We were all very excited about the trip, and spent the last 6 months planning and obsessing. We were spending Thursday through Sunday at Pop Century and then moving to Fort Wilderness to go camping through Thanksgiving.

So here's who came ("the cast" or whatever it's supposed to be called in these things):

*Jerry - my dad
*Nancy - my mom
Cali - my sister
Gabe - my sister's husband
Sierra (5) - my niece
Jeffery (2) - my nephew
*Zachary (7 months) - my nephew
*Laura - me
*James - my boyfriend and best friend, also a forum member (NemoRocks)
Dylan (10) - my son
Abby (8) - my daughter

The asterisks signify the lucky people who did NOT end up with gastroenteritis on the trip.

I told my dad I'd contribute to the expense of the trip by purchasing an annual pass for myself and using it for discounts. I already had a Premium Annual Pass to Disneyland, so it was only $275 to upgrade to the Premier Passport. A couple days before departure, James and I went up to Disneyland to take care of the upgrade. While there we also did some shopping, rode Star Tours, and watched the holiday fireworks, which was nice.

Random note: the photography in this trip report will be pretty diverse. I did carry around my SLR a few times, but I just wasn't in a photography mood and didn't bring any extra lenses or anything and didn't feel like messing with camera settings. I guess I'm at the point where I've been to Disney so many times I've already photographed everything there is to photograph and now I'm just "meh" about the whole thing and didn't want to put any effort into it. I just wanted to enjoy myself and not worry about impressing the internet when I got home. So about 1/3 of the pictures in this report will be from my SLR. Shortly before the trip James bought a new compact digital camera, and honestly, it's a piece of crap and takes godawful pictures. So another 1/3 of the pictures will be what I was able to salvage from his memory card. And lastly, I had an iPhone on me, and when I didn't have my SLR and wanted a picture of something I used the phone. So the last 1/3 will be those kind of pictures. James might have more pictures from his iPhone too and he can add them later if he so desires.

Anyway, so the day before the trip I got my email to check in for the flights and discovered a lovely surprise. Though we had booked our flights back in May and had reserved 4 seats together, they decided to give our seats away for whatever reason and scattered us around the plane. They put me and my 10 year old in one part of the plane, James in another part, and my 8 year old in another part! Oh boy, was I ever furious. We just had to hope people would be kind enough to switch seats with us.

For me, James, Dylan, and Abby, vacation officially began at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday night (Nov 16th). We headed up the road to BJ's Brewhouse for dinner, before continuing on to San Diego to spend the night.

IMG1140-L.jpg

(Abby at BJ's)

We stayed at the "Vagabond Inn," which was surprisingly nice for a cheap motel. We tried to sleep at much as possible before the alarm went off at 4 a.m. We made it out the door around 5:15 and parked in the off-site airport parking lot we always park in, which requires a shuttle bus over to the airport. That was a disaster. The bus driver stopped to pick up every single person in the lot, whether they fit in the bus or not. And of course every single person had about 3 suitcases that had to be brought in and put in the storage rack, which took forever, and there was no room for anyone to move. It must have taken us a good 45 minutes just to leave the parking lot, and then another 15 minutes just to get everyone who was getting out at Terminal 1 and their luggage out of the bus. By the time we got to the Delta terminal, we were VERY late.

We then rushed through the airport and waited half an hour through the massive security line. We finally made it up to the front of the line with about 15 minutes to go before our flight left. Just as we were starting to put our carry-ons on the belt, 5 self-important members of a flight crew felt they were entitled to cut in front of us in the line, which delayed us another 10 minutes. We even told them, "hey, we're about to miss our flight!" and they just shrugged and smiled and continued to shove their way ahead of us. Jerks.

We made it to the plane just in time, and thankfully some people were willing to switch seats so my 8 year old would not be sitting alone. James and the kids were all able to sit together while I sat in a middle seat on the other side of the aisle between 2 strangers. I was angry that I didn't get to talk to or spend time with my family throughout the 4 hour flight, but I couldn't think of anyone to scream at, so I just kept my nasty thoughts of hatred of Delta to myself. :lookaroun (Really though, this seems to have been an isolated incident. I almost always fly Delta and have never had a problem except this one time.) I kept myself amused by watching this very drunk, low-class woman across the aisle order beer after beer (at 7 in the morning). One flight attendant would tell her "sorry, you've had enough", so she'd wait for another unsuspecting attendant to come by and order another one. The poor man sitting beside her looked horrified.

During a very rushed Atlanta layover we quickly grabbed some Chik Fil A to eat on the plane and immediately boarded the flight to Orlando. We actually got to sit together in the original seats we had booked (imagine that). We touched down in Orlando around 4 p.m., having lost 3 hours of the day from crossing time zones. The Magical Express line was soooooo long.

IMG0145-L.jpg

IMG0146-L.jpg

After a grueling 60 second wait, we boarded the bus to Pop Century.

I was all like, "hey I'm gonna take a million annoying instagram pictures during the trip!"
IMG1154-L.jpg

But then I forgot I said that so that was the only one I took. :lookaroun

Yay, vacation!
IMG1144-L.jpg

We made it
IMG0150-L.jpg

Our room was easy to find. Everyone else in the group had arrived a few hours earlier than us, and my mother had decorated all the doors.
IMG0154-L.jpg

The bag on the door was filled with coloring books, crayons, candy, and other fun stuff. We then headed over to the other rooms where everyone else was and said hello. My mother handed us our refillable mugs from the free dining plan and some delicious Mickey Mouse cake pops that she had made.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
I am exhausted after reading that..:lol: I can't even imagine going to WDW with 5 kids..:eek: I'm glad we are waiting until Evan gets older...he'll be 3 1/2 when we go next year..I'm still getting him a leash though :lookaroun

lebeau

I'm still catching up, but this is a fascinating TR!

Sorry things didn't go according to plan. But it sure makes for great reading!

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I just got to finishing reading this....holy hell that was one crazy trip. :eek: I think I would have been crying in the fetal position for most of a trip like that. I don't handle vacation stress very well so I would have been a complete mess. I'm glad all of you survived though. It sucks that you encountered some really crappy CMs. I don't know how any adult that isn't a complete sociopath could manage to sit there and watch an 8 year old girl cry because of an honest mistake with park tickets. It's not like that CMs paycheck is going to bounce if she let Abby into a park for 2-3 hours. :shrug:

scorp111

Wow. What a trip and trip report.

James- Laura, good to see you both having a good time. Abby and Dylan have grown so much.

Interesting interaction with some suspect cast members to say the least.

Somehow, I found this report comforting, because whenever I have attempted WDW with extended family (once!!), we had many similar challenges. Good to know it might not be just my family :)

UrbanDonovan

We leave on Saturday for 6 days at WDW & now I'm freaking out after reading your TR. My kids are very susceptible to stomach bugs, which they usually pass on to me. LOL.

NewfieFan

Oh my that was harsh! Sorry you were handed your fair share (and then some) of bad luck... but it did make for good reading!

I totally understand the meltdowns, though. If you're anything like me I'm always the one doing the planning and I take responsibility when things go wrong... it can be so upsetting and stressful.

Your kids are so grown up since the last TR I read from you (which was quite some time ago, I think), but they're still cute (grown up kind of cute:D).

So any future trips planned for WDW...? :lookaroun

sweetpee_1993

Can I just say that I love you?! No, really. You read so many trip reports and it's like bliss from take-off to touch-down and it's like "What is wrong with me?" because I don't have these absolute bliss trips. The boys fuss and are opinionated in what they want to do. My old man gets fed-up with dealing with the teens on a 24 hour basis (which he isn't accustomed to at all like me) along with the crowds and calls the airline to check on for flights home before the day is over because, in his mind, he'd rather be at work making more money so just the 2 of us can plan a trip. Me being the planner and the monkey-in-the-middle I have the breakdowns where I just sit and cry and if other people are where they can see me doing this it's even worse. I look at our emotionally-charged rollercoaster rides of trips after reading all the perfect fairytale trips other families take and it's not surprising that I feel like there's something seriously wrong with us. So, yes, I love you for your honesty in a really big way. Not only that, I'm compelled to be more honest in my forthcoming TR from September. Maybe I'll even include the truth in the down moments rather than choosing to omit the dirty details for the sake of the story as I have in the past. Oh yes. The TR will be something to behold when I get it done hopefully in the next week.

Everyone apologizes for your less-than-stellar trip. Darlin', I just thank you for it. I really do. Loved your report. Really, I did! I hate that you had a less-than-stellar trip but they happen. Think of it as having met your quota. It's all uphill from here. Plan another trip with confidence! :wave:

I think one of my favorite inclusions was the thru-the-years shots of your kiddos. That rocks!

GOT2SAMMIES

WOW! At least you still have your humor. THANK YOU for posting that link for rentals! WE LOVE to camp BUT I am not driving 11 hours in the RV that gets MAYBE 8 miles/gallon (it's a 89) but wondering how in some way we could camp at Fort Wilderness! At least we could fly and have a car and CAMP #winning!Definately will be looking into that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom