Our Not-So-Merry Thanksgiving Vacation

This past week was my 26th vacation to WDW, and it was a complete disaster. :lol: I will attempt to put a coherent trip report together while still recovering emotionally.

My sister and I both had pretty horrible things going on in our lives over the past year and a half. In an effort to get away from the gloom and doom, our parents decided to take both of our families to Disney World for Thanksgiving 2011. They paid for all the airfare, hotels, tickets, etc. and our only job was to show up and have a good time. My sister's family and my parents live in upstate NY and I live in southern California. We were all very excited about the trip, and spent the last 6 months planning and obsessing. We were spending Thursday through Sunday at Pop Century and then moving to Fort Wilderness to go camping through Thanksgiving.

So here's who came ("the cast" or whatever it's supposed to be called in these things):

*Jerry - my dad
*Nancy - my mom
Cali - my sister
Gabe - my sister's husband
Sierra (5) - my niece
Jeffery (2) - my nephew
*Zachary (7 months) - my nephew
*Laura - me
*James - my boyfriend and best friend, also a forum member (NemoRocks)
Dylan (10) - my son
Abby (8) - my daughter

The asterisks signify the lucky people who did NOT end up with gastroenteritis on the trip.

I told my dad I'd contribute to the expense of the trip by purchasing an annual pass for myself and using it for discounts. I already had a Premium Annual Pass to Disneyland, so it was only $275 to upgrade to the Premier Passport. A couple days before departure, James and I went up to Disneyland to take care of the upgrade. While there we also did some shopping, rode Star Tours, and watched the holiday fireworks, which was nice.

Random note: the photography in this trip report will be pretty diverse. I did carry around my SLR a few times, but I just wasn't in a photography mood and didn't bring any extra lenses or anything and didn't feel like messing with camera settings. I guess I'm at the point where I've been to Disney so many times I've already photographed everything there is to photograph and now I'm just "meh" about the whole thing and didn't want to put any effort into it. I just wanted to enjoy myself and not worry about impressing the internet when I got home. So about 1/3 of the pictures in this report will be from my SLR. Shortly before the trip James bought a new compact digital camera, and honestly, it's a piece of crap and takes godawful pictures. So another 1/3 of the pictures will be what I was able to salvage from his memory card. And lastly, I had an iPhone on me, and when I didn't have my SLR and wanted a picture of something I used the phone. So the last 1/3 will be those kind of pictures. James might have more pictures from his iPhone too and he can add them later if he so desires.

Anyway, so the day before the trip I got my email to check in for the flights and discovered a lovely surprise. Though we had booked our flights back in May and had reserved 4 seats together, they decided to give our seats away for whatever reason and scattered us around the plane. They put me and my 10 year old in one part of the plane, James in another part, and my 8 year old in another part! Oh boy, was I ever furious. We just had to hope people would be kind enough to switch seats with us.

For me, James, Dylan, and Abby, vacation officially began at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday night (Nov 16th). We headed up the road to BJ's Brewhouse for dinner, before continuing on to San Diego to spend the night.

IMG1140-L.jpg

(Abby at BJ's)

We stayed at the "Vagabond Inn," which was surprisingly nice for a cheap motel. We tried to sleep at much as possible before the alarm went off at 4 a.m. We made it out the door around 5:15 and parked in the off-site airport parking lot we always park in, which requires a shuttle bus over to the airport. That was a disaster. The bus driver stopped to pick up every single person in the lot, whether they fit in the bus or not. And of course every single person had about 3 suitcases that had to be brought in and put in the storage rack, which took forever, and there was no room for anyone to move. It must have taken us a good 45 minutes just to leave the parking lot, and then another 15 minutes just to get everyone who was getting out at Terminal 1 and their luggage out of the bus. By the time we got to the Delta terminal, we were VERY late.

We then rushed through the airport and waited half an hour through the massive security line. We finally made it up to the front of the line with about 15 minutes to go before our flight left. Just as we were starting to put our carry-ons on the belt, 5 self-important members of a flight crew felt they were entitled to cut in front of us in the line, which delayed us another 10 minutes. We even told them, "hey, we're about to miss our flight!" and they just shrugged and smiled and continued to shove their way ahead of us. Jerks.

We made it to the plane just in time, and thankfully some people were willing to switch seats so my 8 year old would not be sitting alone. James and the kids were all able to sit together while I sat in a middle seat on the other side of the aisle between 2 strangers. I was angry that I didn't get to talk to or spend time with my family throughout the 4 hour flight, but I couldn't think of anyone to scream at, so I just kept my nasty thoughts of hatred of Delta to myself. :lookaroun (Really though, this seems to have been an isolated incident. I almost always fly Delta and have never had a problem except this one time.) I kept myself amused by watching this very drunk, low-class woman across the aisle order beer after beer (at 7 in the morning). One flight attendant would tell her "sorry, you've had enough", so she'd wait for another unsuspecting attendant to come by and order another one. The poor man sitting beside her looked horrified.

During a very rushed Atlanta layover we quickly grabbed some Chik Fil A to eat on the plane and immediately boarded the flight to Orlando. We actually got to sit together in the original seats we had booked (imagine that). We touched down in Orlando around 4 p.m., having lost 3 hours of the day from crossing time zones. The Magical Express line was soooooo long.

IMG0145-L.jpg

IMG0146-L.jpg

After a grueling 60 second wait, we boarded the bus to Pop Century.

I was all like, "hey I'm gonna take a million annoying instagram pictures during the trip!"
IMG1154-L.jpg

But then I forgot I said that so that was the only one I took. :lookaroun

Yay, vacation!
IMG1144-L.jpg

We made it
IMG0150-L.jpg

Our room was easy to find. Everyone else in the group had arrived a few hours earlier than us, and my mother had decorated all the doors.
IMG0154-L.jpg

The bag on the door was filled with coloring books, crayons, candy, and other fun stuff. We then headed over to the other rooms where everyone else was and said hello. My mother handed us our refillable mugs from the free dining plan and some delicious Mickey Mouse cake pops that she had made.

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
My 2 year old nephew, Jeffery, was driving my sister crazy as usual, so we took him, Dylan, and Abby out to play while everyone else got ready for dinner.

IMG0159-L.jpg

IMG0161-L.jpg

Next we headed to the food court to figure out how to use the dining plan for dinner. I hadn't been on a full-blown WDW vacation in 2 years and had only used the dining plan once and couldn't remember how it worked so we were all very confused, but eventually figured out that you use the dining plan by basically filling your tray with a million entrees, desserts, and drinks that you will never be able to come close to finishing.

IMG1158-L.jpg

Those dirt cups were awesome. I wish I had gotten some more while I was there.

Now James and I have been preparing my niece Sierra to go to Epcot since before this trip was ever dreamed up. About a year ago we told her all about a place in Florida that had a "big white ball" and we showed her pictures of it and showed her the satellite view of it on the iPhone map. She quickly became obsessed with the idea of the "big white ball" and began talking about it constantly. James had one of those giant Spaceship Earth toys that goes with the whole monorail set, and it had never been opened and was just sitting in storage. So one day he mailed it to her so that she'd have her own big white ball to play with. Shortly after, we began planning this trip so we started telling Sierra that soon she was actually going to be able to go and see the big white ball herself. She was extremely excited about it.

After our ginormous Pop Century dining plan dinner, James and I decided to take Sierra to Epcot to finally see the big white ball she'd been obsessing over. We also brought Dylan and Abby who have seen it a million times and don't care that much.

IMG0169-L.jpg

She could not contain her excitement when she started to see it out the bus window. When we got off the bus and got the first decent view of it, she yelled, "I HAVE THAT GAME!" (referring to the Spaceship Earth toy James gave her). :lol: We then tried to walk into Epcot, but apparently my Premier Passport needed to be activated in Florida for it to work, even though I had just used it at Disneyland a couple days before. So I had to go to Guest Relations and get that straightened out which wasted 20 minutes. And for anyone who has ever had a Premier Passport, you understand that none of the cast members ever have a clue what they are or how they work, so it can be aggravating at times.

Anyway, after much anticipation we walked over to the "big white ball" with Sierra and she was completely overcome. She said, "I think I'm going to cry" and she actually had tears in her eyes! She had been waiting so long to see this thing and it was finally there right in front of her. It was a great moment.

IMG0170-L.jpg

We rode Spaceship Earth right away, and Sierra was a tad freaked out by the animatronics, and didn't really know if they were alive or what they were. Finally I told her "they are robot people" and that helped. :lol: For the rest of the trip, everything that wasn't real was "robot". Robot cars, robot ghosts, robot trains, etc.

Dylan and James on Spaceship Earth :lol:
IMG0175-L.jpg

IllumiNations started right as we walked out so we watched that. ("Nope, Sierra, that's not robot fire.") :lookaroun After that we quickly headed to the bus ahead of the crowd and went back to Pop Century. Our one checked bag had magically arrived on the Magical Express. So far, the trip was going great.

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
The next morning we were able to wake up earlier than I expected. I think we got up around 7:30, which should have felt like 4:30 a.m. to us, but it wasn't too bad. My family had a nice Pop Century food court breakfast because we had some credits to burn while everyone else ate cereal in their rooms. We all met up at the bus stop to go to Animal Kingdom around 10.

My big, fat nephew Zach:
IMG0488-L.jpg

Abby attempting to lift the massive heap of baby:
IMG0494-L.jpg

We taught Sierra the previous night that you don't sit on Mickey's railings, but then her father (Gabe) sat on the railing and set a bad example :lookaroun
IMG0495-L.jpg

Shortly after I took this photo, this little guy decided to randomly bolt under the chains and run full speed into the road in front of a bus.
IMG0489-L.jpg

He survived, and my sister bought him a "leash" the moment we stepped into Animal Kingdom and he remained on a leash for the remainder of the trip. :lookaroun

Cute Zachy pic:
IMG0497-L.jpg

IMG0498-L.jpg

Everyone took turns pushing Zach around
IMG0189-L.jpg

IMG0499-L.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
IMG0504-L.jpg

First up, a journey through Africa's amazing wildlife.
IMG0194-L.jpg

Jeff kept saying, "BUMPY RIDE! BUMPY RIDE!"
IMG0506-L.jpg

IMG0508-L.jpg

Friendly giraffe came nice and close to the bus.
IMG0509-L.jpg

Rawr
IMG0510-L.jpg

Next we did the Pangani (*is too lazy to make sure I spelled that right*) Trail
IMG0514-L.jpg

BEWARE!
IMG0515-L.jpg

IMG0516-L.jpg

IMG0520-L.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Gabe, Cali, and my mother are actually in this picture, just to prove that it wasn't just a bunch of kids roaming WDW alone the whole time
IMG0521-L.jpg

They're looking at poo or something equally exciting here
IMG0523-L.jpg

Some men waiting for the women to get out of the bathroom (dad, Dylan, James)
IMG0525-L.jpg

The sanity-saving leash
IMG0527-L.jpg

I used to balk at kids on leashes, but my lord is my nephew a pain in the neck to keep track of otherwise, and he refuses to sit in a stroller. So this worked out better than him being flattened by a bus would have.

Then we had lunch at Pizzafari, and we were finally understanding how to use credits properly. One major source of confusion was always Dylan. He's 10 so he's an "adult" and orders off the adult's menu, but doesn't have the stomach capacity to even finish a kid's meal. So we were always having to pass out his excess food to the other adults and his desserts usually went to Abby, who was a "kid" and therefore didn't get a fancy dessert with her plan. It all worked out I guess. :lol:

Dylan, the "adult"
IMG0532-L.jpg

Abby
IMG0533-L.jpg

IMG0535-L.jpg

Sierra
IMG0536-L.jpg

After lunch we split up for a while. My mother and sister took Dylan, Sierra, Jeff, and Zach over to Rafiki's Planet Watch to pet goats, and the rest of us crossed the park to do some more exciting stuff.

IMG0540-L.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
IMG0542-L.jpg

On the last trip, Abby was only 6 and was a little afraid of most of the big rides, but this trip she did every one of them and loved it.

After Everest and Dinosaur we headed over to Camp Minnie-Mickey to meet up with everyone for Festival of the Lion King. We got there a little ahead of everyone else, so James and I paid Thumper a visit (blurry photo courtesy of Abby, who didn't want to be in a "dumb character picture")
IMG0232-L.jpg

Cali & Zach outside Lion King
IMG0543-L.jpg

We were the lion section, if you can't tell
IMG0235-L.jpg

Lion King was strangely empty. Only a few benches were full in each section. I don't think I've ever seen the place not packed before.

Next, James and I took Dylan and Abby back over to Dinosaur because Dylan hadn't had a chance to ride yet.
IMG0263-L.jpg

Then half the group went over to watch It's Tough to be a Bug! while the rest played in the sand pit at the Boneyard.
IMG0549-L.jpg

IMG0552-L.jpg

That was all we had time for before the park closed. After stopping to buy a Tables in Wonderland card at Guest Relations, we caught a bus back to Pop Century.

IMG0275-L.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
James and I left Dylan and Abby at the hotel with the group and then got back on a bus to head to our dinner reservation at Kona Cafe. We took the bus to Magic Kingdom and then got in line for the boat to the Polynesian. The line filled in quickly behind us and within a few minutes it stretched all the way back to the monorail ramp. It was about 15 minutes before a boat showed up, and thankfully we were one of the lucky ones who was able to get on the boat. The other 200 people in line were told that there wouldn't be another boat for at least 20 minutes! I can't even imagine paying $500+ per night for a room at the Grand Floridian or Polynesian to have the convenience of "quick" transportation to the Magic Kingdom and back, and then having to wait upwards of an hour just to cross the lagoon. I'd have been ticked.

IMG0276-L.jpg

But anyway, after a freezing cold ride, we arrived at my absolute favorite place to have dinner:
IMG0278-L.jpg

We noticed right away that the drink menu there is identical to the drink menu at the Cove Bar in California Adventure, which we go to all the time. Every single drink and page was exactly the same. Only the cover of the book was different. How stupid. :lol:

IMG0279-L.jpg

And then the waitress arrived with the best bread and butter in the entire universe. The thing I salivate over and long for whenever I am away from WDW. I miss it so much.

IMG0280-L.jpg

It took all of 5 minutes for the two of us to eat the entire loaf.

And then my favorite chicken in the world…omg…*drooling*

IMG0282-L.jpg

It's my favorite because it tastes EXACTLY like a giant McDonald's chicken nugget smothered in honey.

James got this. Ew.
IMG0283-L.jpg

We then consumed another loaf of the best bread and butter in the universe before heading out to the beach to catch the water pageant. On our way to a hammock, we ran into our good friend Jackie (male) from WDWMagic, who we had planned to hang out with later in the week. He pointed us to a group of other WDWMagicers hanging out on the beach, but we bypassed them and went to an open hammock. :lookaroun

IMG0285-L.jpg

Next we watched Holiday Wishes from our hammock, which would have been perfect had it not been windy and freezing cold. My teeth were chattering the entire time. The plan after fireworks was to go to Epcot extra magic hours, but I was cold and tired and my feet hurt, so we decided to catch a bus to Downtown Disney, shop for a few minutes, and then go back to Pop Century.

It was at this point that the trip began a steady decline into the pit of Hell. :lookaroun

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm a full-time accounting student, and I was able to get all of my homework done before the trip except one assignment -- an income tax exam which was only going to be accessible while I was on vacation. So I got up and immediately began the exam, which was a huge headache. About an hour into the test, Dylan woke up and apparently did so on the wrong side of the bed because he was in a wretched mood. So he's whining and complaining and throwing fits, and I'm trying to concentrate on this horrid test, and James is saying "hurry up, let's go!" and I could not focus to save my life. After 2 stinking hours of misery, I finished the test and got a 70%; the worst grade I have ever earned on anything in my entire college career. This is my last semester before I earn my AA in accounting and I was going to graduate with a 4.0 GPA, but getting a 70 on this exam is going to be a huge blow. I am afraid to see what it will do to my overall average in the class, which was a 96% until now.

Anyway, so I'm upset about my deplorable test grade, my son is having some kind of 10 year old mood crisis, and I learn that Jeffery (the 2 year old) was up all night throwing up, and had passed the stomach bug to my sister who was sick in bed and unable to move. Great way to start the day.

It was my mother's birthday, so James and Gabe decorated her room for her while I was busy with my test.

IMG0298-L.jpg

It ended up being just me, James, Gabe, Jeffery (who was feeling better), and Abby who headed to Hollywood Studios.

IMG0301-L.jpg

IMG0553-L.jpg

As you can see, Jeffery's "leash" got an upgrade during the week.

IMG0556-L.jpg

James, Abby, and I rode Tower and got a rider switch pass for Gabe to use later.

IMG0554-L.jpg

IMG0307-L.jpg

My dad showed up with Sierra a few minutes later so we met up with them. We had a lunch reservation, but only Abby wanted to go, so it was just James, me, and her at Sci-Fi.

IMG0557-L.jpg

IMG0310-L.jpg

IMG0319-L.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Next we had our first major breakdown. :lol: Abby and I really wanted to see American Idol because it was still under construction last time we went to Disney World. James didn't care to see it because he'd already seen it a million times and he wanted to go to Muppets instead. I kept telling him we have an identical Muppets here in California, so it would be a waste of time to go there instead of to Idol. I finally won the battle and we headed to Idol. My mother texted me on our way in and said she had arrived with Dylan, so I was all "cool, come meet us at Idol, the show starts in 2 minutes". Just as we're walking in she writes back and says, "you have Dylan's ticket". Doh! So James hopped out of line and ran to the front of the park to give Dylan his ticket, and Abby and I went in and watched Idol (which we really enjoyed, despite the horrendous singing). James took the rest of the group on Great Movie Ride, except my mom, who stayed with Jeffery (who was sleeping in the stroller).

We eventually got everyone back together, and then there was more chaos because no one could figure out what to do. Some people wanted to go to Tower of Terror, Dylan wanted to go to Indiana Jones, other people wanted to go to Little Mermaid, etc. Finally we ended up giving Gabe, my dad, and Abby the rider switch pass and they went on Tower, while James and I took Dylan, Sierra, and Jeffery into the Animation building to see characters. Cali's kids were madly in love with Pooh.

IMG0561-L.jpg

IMG0562-L.jpg

IMG0564-L.jpg

Sierra liked the Incredibles, but Jeffery wanted NOTHING to do with them. Way too big and scary!

IMG0565-L.jpg

They really took a lot of time with each group though, and spent a lot of time talking to Jeffery and trying to get him to loosen up a little. Finally they managed a high 5 out of him.

IMG0566-L.jpg

My mom ended up taking all the kids (except Abby) to Indiana Jones next while the rest of us headed over to Rock N Roller Coaster. Thankfully we had FPs because the line was insane. Abby was more excited for this ride than any other ride because she had never done anything so intense before. She LOVED the ride and wanted to go on it again, but I wasn't going to stand in line for an hour.

IMG0567-L.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
On the way to Rock N Roller Coaster we met up with James' mom and dad who were in town for the weekend, so they joined us for a bit and we all did Star Tours and Indiana Jones together. Then they left and whoever remained with us went over to check out the Osbourne Lights.

IMG0568-L.jpg

IMG0569-L.jpg

IMG0571-L.jpg

IMG0574-L.jpg

My dad was extremely excited by the lights, and I think they ended up being his favorite thing of the trip. :lol:

The next plan was that everyone was supposed to catch a boat over to Beaches and Cream to have a birthday party for my mother, which was something special I had planned for her. The problem was, my mother had gone back to Pop Century with the 3 kids after they saw Indiana Jones, and getting from Pop Century to the Beach Club is no small feat without a car. James and I had mentioned what a pain it would be for them to get there, but our talk must have fallen on deaf ears because next thing we knew they were already on their way, and my sick sister and her baby were going along too. While they were on the bus, we grabbed a snack because we were starving, and then took one more ride on Tower of Terror before heading out to the boats.

IMG0356-L.jpg

IMG0364-L.jpg

We met up with everyone outside Beaches and Cream and all the kids were crying and screaming and hungry, my sister was sick and miserable, and my mother was stressed out from the hour it took them to get there. The wait to be seated was 45 minutes, so after all that, she said "forget it". We decided to look around the Boardwalk for some food instead, so we got in line for another boat. Half the group got on the boat, and then the boat driver dude stopped us and said the rest of us could not board because the boat was full. I have no idea why he didn't ask how many were in our party before the first half boarded. Everyone was already starting to have a nervous breakdown, and when the boat left Sierra started screaming hysterically, "I WANT MY GRANDPA! WHY DID GRANDPA LEAVE ME??!!!!" and it was pure chaos. I felt completely responsible for ruining my mother's birthday because Beaches and Cream had been my idea to begin with and I burst into tears in front of everyone like a big baby. Finally we caught another boat and made it to the Boardwalk and stopped to watch a street performer which the kids loved. Then we went to Boardwalk Bakery and got some dinner. Finally, everything was calm and everyone was enjoying themselves again. My mother said it ended up being her favorite part of the trip, so I'm glad it worked out.

IMG0367-L.jpg

After another hour and a half of bus transfers and other transportation nonsense, we made it back to Pop Century in 1 piece. James and I were originally going to go to Magic Kingdom extra magic hours, but I was drained and had to cancel on him again. It's a good thing we stayed back, because after we got to the room Abby said "my stomach hurts", and then the true nightmare began.

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was able to get her to sleep, but just as I laid down myself at midnight, she woke up abruptly and immediately threw up all over the place. It was all over her, the bed, the nightstand, and the floor. James called my mother and she came in and helped me get it cleaned up. We moved the kids to the clean bed so they could sleep, while we waited for housekeeping to bring some more bedding and towels. Then my son said "my stomach hurts too" and he ran to the bathroom with diarrhea. For the next 8 hours Abby was going to the bathroom to throw up about every 15 minutes, and Dylan was on the toilet in between. I was literally up ALL NIGHT LONG with the sick kids. I began to stress out because we had made an Akershus reservation for Sierra and Abby for the morning, which required a credit card hold and we would be charged $40 if we didn't show up. I told Cali to just go and take Sierra and have fun, so that's what she did, and they had an incredible time.

Abby finally stopped throwing up around 7 a.m., so that's when I went to bed and slept for a whole freakin hour. The really fun part was we needed to check out of the hotel that day and move to Fort Wilderness, but Abby was still sick as a dog and in a lot of pain from throwing up so much, so we had no idea what we were going to do with her at 11:00 when they kicked us out of the room. My mother talked to the front desk, and they were kind enough to let us keep the room until 1:00. We had another reservation for the entire group (including James' mom and dad) for Via Napoli at 2:00, but that obviously wasn't going to happen. At 1:00, my mother took poor Abby over to the campground, and James' parents picked up James, me, and Dylan to take us to lunch. We grabbed a couple pictures on the walk to the front of the hotel.

IMG0373-L.jpg

IMG0576-L.jpg

IMG0577-L.jpg

We ended up eating at T-Rex, which was pretty cool, and very similar to Rainforest Cafe.

IMG0578-L.jpg

IMG0382-L.jpg

Here's a cute picture of James and his mom. No, he's not adopted. :lookaroun (his father is Sri Lankan)
IMG0580-L.jpg

After lunch we couldn't decide if we wanted to go to Epcot, or go to Fort Wilderness to see the campsite. We ended up choosing Fort Wilderness because I wanted to check on Abby and unpack a little.

My parents rented an awesome camper through this couple who takes care of all the annoying stuff for you. They go and set up the camper on the site and get it all hooked up for you, then when you leave they come and unhook it and haul it away for you. No work involved. It was really great. I would love to do it again in the future.

https://campatthefort.com/terv/index.asp

Here is our site - #329.
IMG0388-L.jpg

It was very nice, right on the river. (In case you are wondering why we didn't use my sister's van to avoid transportation headaches, it's because she had removed the backseat to store luggage and camping supplies, and the center row was full of car seats. So we really couldn't use it much at all.)

There was a group of deer along the water near our site. This is the best pic James' crap camera could get.
IMG0390-L.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
The tent, where my sister's family slept.
IMG0386-L.jpg

Picture of the inside, which is a horrible mess as the photo was taken in the middle of unpacking.
IMG0393-L.jpg

Mom & Dad had this room
IMG0394-L.jpg

My family had this extremely small, cramped room. The kids LOVED it. :lol:
IMG0396-L.jpg

Sierra had apparently been puking throughout the afternoon, and Jeffery had also started puking again. Abby was feeling better, but not well enough to go anywhere. By that night, Sierra was back to her normal self again so we took her and Dylan to Epcot.

We rode Journey Into Imagination, Living with the Land, and Nemo and had dinner at Sunshine Seasons, using up the rest of the meal credits before they expired.
IMG0403-L.jpg

IMG0407-L.jpg

IMG0409-L.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
We bought Sierra a little Figment, which she adored and carried around for the rest of the trip.
IMG0412-L.jpg

IMG0414-L.jpg

IMG0416-L.jpg

IMG0417-L.jpg

At the Living Seas (or whatever it's called these days) we met up with our good WDWMagic friends Katie (SweetMagic) and Jackie, male (brkgnews). We didn't get to hang out for too long, because by the time they got there the kids were starting to get tired and cranky.

IMG0418-L.jpg

We had to figure out a way to use up the 18 snack credits that were left on our card that would expire at midnight. We had all these grand plans to go to the bakeries in Norway and France and get all these awesome treats for everyone, but with the kids getting so grumpy we had to forget that and we headed to MouseGear and used them up on a bunch of junk. Boo.

IMG0420-L.jpg

This night was our first time using the Fort Wilderness bus transportation. We were far from impressed. It was godawful. The buses from the outpost to the parks and back were fine. It was the buses that take you from the outpost to the campsite (or the reverse) that were terrible. It was usually a 20-25 minute wait for those buses in addition to the wait for the park buses. It usually took a good hour to an hour and a half to get from our site to a park. So just running to Epcot for a couple hours required 3 hours of transportation. It was really bad, and became more and more aggravating as the days went by. I'll get into it more later.

The next day, Monday, was really craptacular. The one main thing James and I had wanted to do on this trip was go to Wizarding World of Harry Potter. The plan was for us to take the van first thing that morning and go to Universal while everyone else stayed behind and did fun stuff around the campground (that's what they all wanted to do, no one else really wanted to go to Harry Potter). We were most excited about Harry Potter because we go to Disneyland every other week and have ridden all the Disney rides a zillion times, so they aren't that thrilling for us anymore. Islands of Adventure was going to be something different for us to do.

The problem was, we woke up and learned that we would not be able to use the van. My mother was supposed to have gone grocery shopping the night before, but her and my sister ended up doing laundry all night instead (because kids had been throwing up so much and there was a ton of it piled up). So she needed to go grocery shopping Monday morning instead. It was going to cost James and I over $200 to go to Universal for the day, so when we found out the van wasn't going to be available for us to use until 1 in the afternoon, we realized it would be a waste of money. We decided to just take a bus to Downtown Disney, and grab a taxi from there. However, due to Fort Wilderness' WONDERFUL bus transportation, it took us over an hour to get to Downtown Disney and by the time we got there, it wasn't worth going to Harry Potter anymore because Islands was only going to be open a few more hours. I was completely devastated. We went to Earl of Sandwich and while James got in line to get our food, I sat at a table and started bawling in the middle of the restaurant. I was so upset and could not calm down and the fact that I was doing it in front of a million strangers only made me more upset. The turkey sandwich James brought me was delicious, but it was hard to enjoy it when I was such an emotional wreck.

I was finally able to pull myself back together by the end of the meal, and James and I decided to just wander around and go shopping. We stopped in the create your own shirt store and made Abby a completely stupid shirt on the computer just to be random.

IMG1163-L.jpg

(We did not buy the shirt)

We had a good time shopping, and then decided we'd go to DisneyQuest. In order for James to get into DisneyQuest, he had to take his Disneyland Annual Pass and his 6 day WDW park ticket and have them combined at Guest Relations into a Premier pass, which was no problem. We enjoyed DisneyQuest for a couple hours and I was in a much better mood after that (for a while anyway…)

IMG0427-L.jpg

IMG0435-L.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Our plan had been to stop at Steak N Shake on the way back from Universal because Steak N Shake cheese fries are my favorite thing in the entire world and I haven't had them in sooooo long. I was not going to let our cancelled Universal day stop me from eating my cheese fries, so we took the buses back to the campsite and grabbed my sister's van.

It was still too early to eat so we ended up going to the Disney Outlet and buying a crapload of awesome stuff for dirt cheap, and then we headed straight for the cheese fries.

My favorite sight:
IMG0447-L.jpg

OMGGGGGG
IMG0449-L.jpg

In the middle of dinner, my dad called and said they were all going back to the Studios to see Osbourne lights (because my mother had missed it the first time around). We had wanted to take Abby to Epcot that evening and we had both of the kids' tickets with us, so we told them we'd meet them at Studios in a few minutes. We drove over to Studios and waited, and waited, and waited. Half an hour later, they told us they were STILL waiting for a bus just to get to the front of Fort Wilderness!! Our friend Katie was working that night in the gift shop, so we decided to go into the park and visit with her until everyone got there.

By the time the group finally made it to Studios, it was already 8:30, and too late for us to get Abby to Epcot before it closed, and I felt my bad mood creeping back to me. Everyone in the group was extremely ticked off because it had taken them nearly 2 hours just to get from the campsite to the Studios due to lack of decent transportation, and in the middle of all the chaos we made a really stupid mistake. James handed the kids' tickets to them through the turnstile so the kids could get into the park and once everyone was inside we figured out we'd just let them all go see the lights and we'd take Abby to Magic Kingdom. We didn't realize our mistake until it was way too late to fix it.

We still had the van so we were able to drive over to Magic Kingdom, and then we took the monorail over to the park. It took about 45 minutes to do this, which was to be expected.

IMG0454-L.jpg

Poor Abby had not been able to do anything for 2 days because she had been so sick, and all she wanted was to go on some rides. As we were approaching the entrance to the park, we started planning out all the fun rides we'd go on and she was very excited. James entered the park, and then Abby attempted to enter after him and the woman said there was a problem. She said "has Abby already been to a park today?" and I said, "no, she hasn't done anything yet today". The woman said, "well it's showing that she's already been to a park today, and you don't have a park hopper on this ticket." That's when it hit me. We had STUPIDLY met up with the group INSIDE the entrance to the Studios before heading to Magic Kingdom. Even though we were only in there for a second, we had wasted an entire day's admission!! I raced over to guest relations, totally expecting them to sympathize with me and realize it was a dumb mistake and give us a break and let us in the park. After all, Magic Kingdom was only open for 2 1/2 more hours so it wasn't really a big deal in my opinion.

I told the girl the stupid thing we had done, and explained that Abby hadn't actually done anything at the Studios and was only in the for a second. The girl was not the least bit sympathetic and said that we needed to either pay $50 for a hopper option or pay $90 for a new ticket…just to go to Magic Kingdom for 2 1/2 freakin hours. I asked if she could just look in the computer and see that Abby had only been inside the Studios for a minute, but she said she couldn't and that we were out of luck. Abby, who is the sweetest, best-behaved, most-deserving child in the entire world, who had just been through 2 days of horrible gastroentiritis, was heartbroken. The tears started falling down her face, and the guest relations woman did not give a damn. Yes, the whole thing was my stupid fault, but people make mistakes and I could not believe she would not cut us a break. It still makes me furious to think about. :(

I had to think quick and fix the situation to spare my poor kid any further grief. I looked at the clock and realized that the electrical water pageant would be starting at Fort Wilderness in 15 minutes. I told James to go back to the parking lot and get my sister's van so I could catch a boat to camp. Abby and I ran for the boat and made it back to Fort Wilderness with a minute to spare. We got a chair on the beach and had a great time watching the pageant and then watching Wishes from the beach, so I was able to at least end her day on a positive note.

IMG1167-L.jpg

IMG1199-L.jpg

James was able to get the van back to camp and met up with us on the beach. We walked back to the camper through all these amazingly decorated campsites. You would not believe how extravagantly some people decorate their sites for the holidays. It was like a mini version of Osbourne lights. I only had my cell phone on me, so I got these horrible pictures…
IMG1204-L.jpg

IMG1205-L.jpg

I highly recommend taking a walk through the campsites if you're ever there in the evening around this time of year.

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
The next day, day SIX of the trip, we were finally going to Magic Kingdom. :lol:

IMG0470-L.jpg

My sister gave James and I each a quick haircut (yes that is random) and then we were off.

IMG0473-L.jpg

IMG0582-L.jpg

IMG0589-L.jpg

Because we had so stupidly wasted one of Abby's ticket days walking into the Studios for 5 seconds, we had to pay $8 to add another day to her ticket. And then we were finally in the fun park.

IMG0591-L.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
James ran to get FPs for Space Mountain, Cali went to First Aid for a band-aid, and the rest of us waited outside Crystal Palace so I could continue my traditional "picture of my kids looking very unhappy at Magic Kingdom" photo series.

July 2004, February 2005, September 2005:
56027732-S.jpg
56027733-S.jpg
56027735-S.jpg

December 2005, February 2006, May 2006:
56027737-S.jpg
56027730-S.jpg
70249643-S.jpg

June 2007, November 2007, June 2008, January 2009:
163270760-S.jpg
225381635-S.jpg
317240278_29cTi-L.jpg
463065114_8zFoj-S.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
And finally, November 2011:
IMG0592-L.jpg

We decided to start a similar tradition for Cali's kids :lol:
IMG0601-L.jpg

At least my dad's happy to be there!
IMG0596-L.jpg

IMG0595-M.jpg

I don't know what's happening here
IMG0598-L.jpg

At this point we parted ways for a bit because Dylan was throwing a fit because he was hungry and no one else was. So the 4 of us went to Columbia Harbor House (which was delicious btw) and then went on Haunted Mansion while they all went on Pirates.

IMG0479-L.jpg

We LOVED the new stuff they did to the queue. It was so much fun walking through there!
IMG0605-L.jpg

IMG0606-L.jpg

IMG0611-L.jpg

The neat head-switching trick at the end of the ride was also really cool. I hope they'll bring that over to Disneyland.

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
We then went over to Philharmagic, and met the group outside Dumbo when we got out. Cali, Sierra, and Gabe were in the incredibly long Dumbo line so we killed time by getting some ice cream.

I saw a lot of Fantasyland stuff at the D23 Expo, but seeing it in person is awesome. It's gigantic! (Except the tiny castle)
IMG0614-L.jpg

Not really on Dumbo. Just pretending. :lookaroun
IMG0616-L.jpg

Sierra and Jeffery loved Dumbo. Especially Jeffery.

IMG0620-L.jpg

Jeff actually cried when the ride ended because he didn't want to get out.
IMG0621-L.jpg

We were finally all back together as a group so we headed over to Peoplemover.
IMG0629-L.jpg

IMG0630-L.jpg

IMG0633-L.jpg

IMG0635-L.jpg

IMG0639-L.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just when things were getting fun, everyone decided to leave for a few hours. :shrug: So it was just me, James, and Abby for the rest of the day.

We went to Carousel of Progress, Stitch, Country Bears, Tiki Room, Pirates, and I dunno what else. We also managed to collect FPs for Splash, Thunder, and Buzz for the whole group in addition to the ones we already had for Space.

IMG0515-L.jpg

IMG0517-L.jpg

IMG0537-L.jpg

We figured out during the week how to get FPs in the strangest ways. Our old room keys from Pop Century were spitting out FPs, even if they had no tickets on them and hadn't been used to get into the park. For example, my room key, Jeff's, and Zach's all had no tickets on them (because I have an AP and the boys are under age 3), but they were still giving us FPs. It was a nice little glitch and came in handy for getting FPs for the entire group, even when none of them were with us. So if you ever need FPs, just scan everything in your pockets that says "Disney" and has a barcode and see what works. :lookaroun

IMG0556-L.jpg

At 6:00 we had a dinner reservation at Plaza, and after dinner caught up with the whole group again and did lots of rides, beginning with the speedway (I almost wrote Autopia lol).

IMG0567-L.jpg

I actually did 2 rounds on the Peoplemover with a sleeping baby while everyone else went on the cars. On my second ride, I caught back up with friends Jackie (male) and Katie and we hung out for a while. James and I went shopping with them and bought one of those big old train sets (thankfully we brought a giant, half empty suitcase) and watched the Electrical Parade.

This is my awesome iPhone picture
IMG1209-L.jpg

After Jackie and Katie left, we rode Thunder Mountain and then watched Wishes from there. It was really loud and woke Zach up. Zach did not take his eyes off the fireworks the whole time. He loved them. :lol:

IMG0574-L.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Then we did more rides, including a completion of the "triple mountain whammy", Buzz Lightyear, and another ride on Haunted Mansion.

IMG0580-L.jpg

James got a perfect score, plus 200,000 something on the other gun simultaneously.
IMG0581-L.jpg

Space Mountain was so fun. I forgot how fun it is at Magic Kingdom. I'm so used to the smooth, gentle track at Disneyland that I forget how exhilarating and terrifying it is to be flying around a more rickety track. It also has a lot more drops than the Disneyland version. The music didn't really work so great, but it was still the best ride of the night. None of us could breathe after we got off. :lol:

IMG0587-L.jpg

LOL
IMG0588-L.jpg

IMG0589-L.jpg

It was nice that in the midst of such a miserable week, we were able to have a few hours of entertainment, but it didn't last long.

On our way out of Magic Kingdom, James, Abby, and I stopped outside the train station at the lockers because I had thrown my camera and some other things in one earlier. Abby and I stayed off to the side with our giant train set on the ground next to us while James went and turned in the locker key. A Cast Member came up and wanted to chit chat with us. She asked who the train was for and I said we had bought it to go around the Christmas tree. So then she started badgering Abby (who was very tired and did not want to be bothered), saying that Abby had made us buy it for her and then was making us carry it all over Disney World for her. I kept saying, no, the train isn't for her, she has nothing to do with us purchasing it, but the woman would not stop picking on her. Then she started going on about Abby's "dad" (who I am divorced from…and it's a very touchy, sensitive subject for us). She kept saying to Abby, "So you buy these big things and then you stand here doing nothing while you make your dad do all the work, and then you're gonna make your dad carry your train all the way back home, huh?" And she was saying "dad this, dad that" and making us extremely uncomfortable. I kept trying to give her hints to shut up, like turning away from her, acting uninterested in the conversation, etc, but this Cast Member would not take a hint. Finally James came over and rescued us. When the woman saw that I was with a dark-skinned guy she finally realized that it wasn't Abby's "dad", so I hope she was a little embarrassed. I tried to make some jokes for Abby to lighten the mood a little on the way back to camp, but I could tell the woman's comments had really rattled her. So annoying.

Anyway…we felt horrible that Abby missed her princess breakfast at Akershus when she was sick, so we got lucky when we checked online and saw an opening for Wednesday morning and we booked a table. James, Abby, and I got up early and my sister made Abby's hair look "princessy". We took the van to Epcot because we were not going to spend 2 hours on buses and risk missing the breakfast again.

IMG0642-L.jpg

They were doing some new weird RFID thing at the entrance, which I didn't see the point of, but I'm sure there is a point.

IMG0601-L.jpg

IMG0644-L.jpg

IMG0645-L.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom