Our 9/29 - 10/6 WDW Trip

On 9/29, we checked in to Port Orleans Riverside for one night and got a room in the Alligator Bayou section for our first night after the drive down. It was nice (and cheap with the AP discount). But it’s not a DVC 1-BR villa!

The next morning, we checked out of POR and went over to Old Key West. We were happy to find our room was immediately available when we checked-in at 10:30am.

We enjoyed the large size of the 1-BR at OKW, as well as the quiet, lushly landscaped setting. It was also nice to have our car parked just outside of the room. This was our first time with our car at WDW. We drove everywhere and didn’t rely upon Disney transportation at OKW.

OKW is simply too large and spread-out for us, and we missed the amenities at the DVC resorts we own at (air-conditioned indoor hallways, room service, valet parking, great restaurants). We feel the same way about SSR (which we visited and had lunch at).

DVC left us voicemails about adding on points at OKW (good through 2057), but we prefer the resorts attached to a deluxe resort rather than the condo-style resorts of OKW and SSR. To each his own, I guess.

We decided to go over to Epcot on 10/1 for the 25th anniversary festivities. We enjoyed the opening ceremonies and picked up some limited-edition retro Epcot gear. My wife also picked up a bunch of limited-edition 25th anniversary Epcot pins. We also ate (and drank) our way around World Showcase for the Food & Wine festival.

Amazingly, on this trip, we spent very little time at the parks. We spent most of our park time at Epcot, 3 hours at AK and just 2 hours at Disney Studios. This was the first trip we’ve been on where we never stepped foot in the MK. We spent most of our time relaxing at the resort we were staying at, or visiting the other DVC resorts.

On Friday, we checked out of OKW and went over to the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge. Again, we were surprised to find our room was immediately available. Ah, we love this resort! We only spent one day here, but it was the best day of our trip. We just enjoy the magnificently rendered theme of the WL, and the peaceful and romantic setting.

The only negative of this trip was that it was hot (low 90’s) and very humid and it rained a lot.

We had absolutely some of the best dining experiences we’ve had at WDW, with great meals at Artist Point, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Jiko, Flying Fish Café, and Spoodles.

The whole time, we didn’t read a newspaper, watch TV or connect to the Internet. Upon our return home, we were pleasantly surprised to find out about the new Oahu resort Disney announced during our vacation.

We’re excited to be going back to WDW this Dec 1-9 to stay at the AKV with a savannah view. We’ll probably spend several mornings gazing at the animals and spent every evening gazing at all the Christmas decorations and lights at the parks and resorts. I can’t wait!

WDWFigment

On 9/29, we checked in to Port Orleans Riverside for one night and got a room in the Alligator Bayou section for our first night after the drive down. It was nice (and cheap with the AP discount). But it’s not a DVC 1-BR villa!

The next morning, we checked out of POR and went over to Old Key West. We were happy to find our room was immediately available when we checked-in at 10:30am.

We enjoyed the large size of the 1-BR at OKW, as well as the quiet, lushly landscaped setting. It was also nice to have our car parked just outside of the room. This was our first time with our car at WDW. We drove everywhere and didn’t rely upon Disney transportation at OKW.

OKW is simply too large and spread-out for us, and we missed the amenities at the DVC resorts we own at (air-conditioned indoor hallways, room service, valet parking, great restaurants). We feel the same way about SSR (which we visited and had lunch at).

DVC left us voicemails about adding on points at OKW (good through 2057), but we prefer the resorts attached to a deluxe resort rather than the condo-style resorts of OKW and SSR. To each his own, I guess.

We decided to go over to Epcot on 10/1 for the 25th anniversary festivities. We enjoyed the opening ceremonies and picked up some limited-edition retro Epcot gear. My wife also picked up a bunch of limited-edition 25th anniversary Epcot pins. We also ate (and drank) our way around World Showcase for the Food & Wine festival.

Amazingly, on this trip, we spent very little time at the parks. We spent most of our park time at Epcot, 3 hours at AK and just 2 hours at Disney Studios. This was the first trip we’ve been on where we never stepped foot in the MK. We spent most of our time relaxing at the resort we were staying at, or visiting the other DVC resorts.

On Friday, we checked out of OKW and went over to the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge. Again, we were surprised to find our room was immediately available. Ah, we love this resort! We only spent one day here, but it was the best day of our trip. We just enjoy the magnificently rendered theme of the WL, and the peaceful and romantic setting.

The only negative of this trip was that it was hot (low 90’s) and very humid and it rained a lot.

We had absolutely some of the best dining experiences we’ve had at WDW, with great meals at Artist Point, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Jiko, Flying Fish Café, and Spoodles.

The whole time, we didn’t read a newspaper, watch TV or connect to the Internet. Upon our return home, we were pleasantly surprised to find out about the new Oahu resort Disney announced during our vacation.

We’re excited to be going back to WDW this Dec 1-9 to stay at the AKV with a savannah view. We’ll probably spend several mornings gazing at the animals and spent every evening gazing at all the Christmas decorations and lights at the parks and resorts. I can’t wait!

I don't think you mentioned, but what's your home DVC resort? Boardwalk? (just a guess since it's not as spread out).

I'm totally with you on the no connection to the outside world while at WDW! You're at WDW, what else could you possibly need?! Email can wait.

Sounds like you guys had a great time!!!

sissa216

thanks for the report!!
when i lived down there, I used to love to just relax and take it all in.
But now that its a once a year or every other year destination, I can't really do that anymore :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom