Oscar-Calibur film discussion

BuddyThomas

I actually think Boyhood is that good. The 12 year filming gimmick may be a gimmick, but it was exceedingly effective. I've never seen that done on film this well, and the only show that actually rivals the way the characters grow up as in Boyhood is my favorite TV show, Mad Men.
Don't get me wrong. I LOVED Boyhood. Absolutely brilliant.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
I think it may have something to do with it being released so late in the season. Previews JUST IN TIME to be considered for 2014 Oscar with a 2015 general release.

I thought it was very bad timing. I really expected the release to come later to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Selma to Montgomery march.
I heard the studio sent out screeners late, but Academy members get into theaters for free by showing their membership cards to participating theaters, and if there was enough support to get Selma nominated for Best Picture, there should have been enough to get it pushed in other major categories as well.

But the Academy's idiotic voting system (only actors can nominate actors, only directors can nominate directors, everyone can nominate Best picture, only animators can nominate Best Animated Film) too often leads blatantly poor choices.

BuddyThomas

The Academy, by and large, skews old. The vast majority are over 50 years old. That's why Eastwood and his films get undeserved acclaim and support when they're even just halfway good.
But yet Eastwood himself was shut out. Do you think it was his insane chair monologue at the RNC a few years ago?

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
But yet Eastwood himself was shut out. Do you think it was his insane chair monologue at the RNC a few years ago?
I'm not sure, to be honest. There's an odd disconnect between directing and Best Picture this year. Bennett Miller for the nomination, but no Foxcatcher? Best Director + Best Adapted Screenplay + Best Actor + Best Supporting Actor, but no Best Picture?

How can the Academy let this happen?

BuddyThomas

I'm not sure, to be honest. There's an odd disconnect between directing and Best Picture this year. Bennett Miller for the nomination, but no Foxcatcher? Best Director + Best Adapted Screenplay + Best Actor + Best Supporting Actor, but no Best Picture?

How can the Academy let this happen?
Yup, agreed. Anyway I think I'll see Anerican Sniper this weekend. My personal feelings about Eastwood aside, the man had made some great films.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
Yup, agreed. Anyway I think I'll see Anerican Sniper this weekend. My personal feelings about Eastwood aside, the man had made some great films.
Hope you enjoy it. I don't think much of Eastwood, in that, I think he's only as good as his script. He's made his fair share of great and awful films. Sometimes in the same year.

I'm still upset with him about butchering Jersey Boys. I love the show, and he turned a Broadway musical production into a non-musical drama.

BuddyThomas

Hope you enjoy it. I don't think much of Eastwood, in that, I think he's only as good as his script. He's made his fair share of great and awful films. Sometimes in the same year.

I'm still upset with him about butchering Jersey Boys. I love the show, and he turned a Broadway musical production into a non-musical drama.
Amen to that.

BuddyThomas

Just got my Entertainment Weekly and the cover is all about Boyhood, and is actually amazing.

BOYHOOD-EW-COVER-1347[1].jpg

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
It's probably a fight between Boyhood, Birdman, and Grand Budapest Hotel for Best Picture at this point, but Linklater looks like he's starting to run away with Best Director.

Skip

It's probably a fight between Boyhood, Birdman, and Grand Budapest Hotel for Best Picture at this point, but Linklater looks like he's starting to run away with Best Director.

Agreed. My personal choice is for Grand Budapest to win of the nominees, though I've yet to see Boyhood. I really loved Birdman, but it isn't a Best Picture for a multitude of reasons. It absolutely earned its acting noms, however, and Keaton will (and should) take the Actor prize.

Matt7187

I recently say Boyhood, and I honestly can't see why everyone is all over it. I mean, it's cool that it takes place over time and the characters age, but I just didn't get it. And personally, none of the acting in it was very good except for Ethan Hawke, but it is probably just me.

Selma was fantastic. I can't wrap my head around how it can be nominated for Best Picture, but not Directing or Acting. David Oyelowo was a massive snub, to me the best performance of the year (granted I haven't seen Birdman or Imitation Game yet).

Foxcatcher was very good, suprised it wasn't nominated for Best Picture. Steve Carrel was marvelous, IMO he should win Best Actor, but he probably won't win because of the the strength of the class this year. Also, Channing Tatum was spectacular, and Mark Ruffalo was very good too. I feel that Tatum should have gotten the Supporting Actor nod instead of Ruffalo, but he the household name for the Academy, while Tatum is best known for being a comedic actor.

Planning on seeing American Sniper this weekend, along with The Grand Budapest Hotel coming in the mail from Amazon (only $3.99 for DVD copy). I plan on seeing the other nominees for Best Picture too.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
Agreed. My personal choice is for Grand Budapest to win of the nominees, though I've yet to see Boyhood. I really loved Birdman, but it isn't a Best Picture for a multitude of reasons. It absolutely earned its acting noms, however, and Keaton will (and should) take the Actor prize.
Birdman was a solid 3/4 film for me the first time I saw it. The second time, it's definitely 3.5 and borderline 4 star film. I'm perfectly happy with acting wins for Keaton or Redmayne.

The Theory of Everything doesn't deserve anything outside of consideration for the lead actor. I feel the same way about Selma and American Sniper as well (with the latter being completely shut out for all categories outside of sound mixing/editing), though Selma clearly got snubbed out of consideration for nominations in directing and acting.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
I recently say Boyhood, and I honestly can't see why everyone is all over it. I mean, it's cool that it takes place over time and the characters age, but I just didn't get it. And personally, none of the acting in it was very good except for Ethan Hawke, but it is probably just me.

And I thought Patricia Arquette just acted circles around everybody that year. A maddeningly heartbreaking performance.

Selma was fantastic. I can't wrap my head around how it can be nominated for Best Picture, but not Directing or Acting. David Oyelowo was a massive snub, to me the best performance of the year (granted I haven't seen Birdman or Imitation Game yet).

Agreed.

Foxcatcher was very good, suprised it wasn't nominated for Best Picture. Steve Carrel was marvelous, IMO he should win Best Actor, but he probably won't win because of the the strength of the class this year. Also, Channing Tatum was spectacular, and Mark Ruffalo was very good too. I feel that Tatum should have gotten the Supporting Actor nod instead of Ruffalo, but he the household name for the Academy, while Tatum is best known for being a comedic actor.

I can't wrap my head around the appeal of this film. Credit to anyone that likes and loves it, but outside of Carell (who was great but not nearly on the same level as Keaton/Redmayne/Cumberbatch, and even Oyelowo), everything about the film felt....off. The writing was solid, the acting was impressive, the director clearly had a good command of the material, yet there was something completely disconnected about the film. I much prefer Bennett Miller's work on Moneyball over this.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
In the Disney circles, I think it's shocking that Muppets Most Wanted was not nominated for Best Original Songs. The songs in that movie were fantastic.

In non Disney circles, WHAT THE? HOW IS THE LEGO MOVIE NOT NOMINATED??
To be entirely honest, I think most people forgot that this Muppets film actually existed.

I mean, I enjoyed it quite a bit and think the music was a lot of fun, but it's still a clear step down from its predecessor, disappointed at the box office, and Disney did very little to promote it after it left theaters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom