Oscar-Calibur film discussion

216bruce

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is probably going to rightfully run away with that award.

I thought too much of The Hobbit looked cartoonish. Maybe it was the 48fps that did it no favors.
Agreed somewhat on the cartoonish aspect. Smaug was wonderfully made though. Much of the action in the movie was just way cartoonish, the cgi settings were beautiful and like in LOTR the best 'effects' were the mechanical ones like forced perspective and size doubles. I'm also glad to see Captain America get a nod here. It had a lot of 'real' effects- real explosions, real cars involved in chases, great stunts and they used cgi when it had to be that. I skipped it in HFR as I prefer fantasy films to have the look that 24fps and (sort-of) film give them. I saw the first Hobbit in HFR and hated it. I think I would have loved something like "District 9" in a higher rate, especially the news sequences.

Sped2424

Fair enough. What worries me about the Oscars is the voters choosing Big Hero 6 because they don't care about the category (think Brave over Wreck It Ralph). I think LEGO will win out because the industry, right now, loves Christopher Miller and Phil Lord.
So much for that. Lego movie was snubbed big time and didn't even make it into the nominations.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
Oh well, can't say I am heartbroken about that. Really didn't like the film that much. But I do wonder who is going to win best animated feature. I sincerely hope it isn't dragon.
I'd probably choose Dragon II over Big Hero 6, but I don't think either film is anything worth becoming award winning. Both lack any real storytelling ambition and tell fairy generic tales. They're safe.

Give it to the Studio Ghibli film, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

I think Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America: The Winter Soldier got royally snubbed. After all the critical acclaim both films received, they get one nomination each for effects, and GotG gets one more for makeup.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
I think Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America: The Winter Soldier got royally snubbed. After all the critical acclaim both films received, they get one nomination each for effects, and GotG gets one more for makeup.
Snubbed for what?

They're expertly made popcorn movies. Popcorn movies don't get nominated for the big non-technical awards unless there is something truly unique and transcendent within the genre (Depp in the first Pirates film, RDJ in Tropic Thunder, Ledger and mostly everything in The Dark Knight.....).

I can maybe see an argument regarding GOTG for Adapted Screenplay over American Sniper (most overrated film of the year), but Selma has just as much, if not more, of an argument. As does Gone Girl.

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

This is the wackiest barrel of snubs in years.

No Bill Murray. No Jake Gyllanhal (or however you spell it), no Amy Adams, no Jennifer Aniston.

No Lego Movie and in documentaries, no Life Itself (about Roger Ebert's last days). Both of those were widely predicted to win in their categories.

Foxcatcher is not nominated for best picture but gets a best director nom. American Sniper is nominated for best picture but director is not.

There are others but it's all pretty nuts.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
This is the wackiest barrel of snubs in years.

No Bill Murray. No Jake Gyllanhal (or however you spell it), no Amy Adams, no Jennifer Aniston.

No Lego Movie and in documentaries, no Life Itself (about Roger Ebert's last days). Both of those were widely predicted to win in their categories.

Foxcatcher is not nominated for best picture but gets a best director nom. American Sniper is nominated for best picture but director is not.

There are others but it's all pretty nuts.
Not to forget Selma being largely ignored.

BuddyThomas

Not to forget Selma being largely ignored.
Wow, you're right. The academy had the opportunity to honor the first African American female director and they dropped the ball in a disgraceful fashion. I have not seen it but the last time I looked at Rotten Tomatoes, it was 100% positive.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
Wow, you're right. The academy had the opportunity to honor the first African American female director and they dropped the ball in a disgraceful fashion. I have not seen it but the last time I looked at Rotten Tomatoes, it was 100% positive.
I'm not saying it should win in their respective categories, but come on. This is the first 'great' MLK film ever made (minus documentaries), and the film suddenly has a huge voice and message to spread in a racially charged society we're currently living in.

Bennett Miller (Foxcatcher) over her in directing? Foolish. Same with nominating Morten Tyldum (Imitation Game) over her, and I thought that movie was very good.

The actor himself should be in over Cooper (American Sniper) and Carrell (Foxcatcher).

I wouldn't put money on them winning (Linklater for Boyhood was an extraordinary piece of directing and editing, and Redmayne/Keaton are fantastic performances), but notice of the job done and the importance of that film should be highlighted.

Peter Travers (Rolling Stone) put it best.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It did get nominated for Best Picture.

Since I live in Montgomery, I do hope that it wins.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
By the way, I really want to see Life Itself. Huge fan of Ebert's writing. Have you gotten a chance to check it out?

BuddyThomas

I'm not saying it should win in their respective categories, but come on. This is the first 'great' MLK film ever made (minus documentaries), and the film suddenly has a huge voice and message to spread in a racially charged society we're currently living in.

Bennett Miller (Foxcatcher) over her in directing? Foolish. Same with nominating Morten Tyldum (Imitation Game) over her, and I thought that movie was very good.

The actor himself should be in over Cooper (American Sniper) and Carrell (Foxcatcher).

I wouldn't put money on them winning (Linklater for Boyhood was an extraordinary piece of directing and editing, and Redmayne/Keaton are fantastic performances), but notice of the job done and the importance of that film should be highlighted.

Peter Travers (Rolling Stone) put it best.

These are all excellent points and I could not agree more with everything you said.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster

A Best Picture nomination with no directing, acting, or screenplay nomination to follow. That's a token nomination if I ever saw one, especially with the voting system allowing for up to 10 nominations yearly.

BuddyThomas

I think just due to the fact that it was filmed over sixteen thousand years or whatever, Boyhood has it in the bag, with Birdman being a close second due to the single shot through the entire film gimmick. But maybe due to the snubs here and what is going on in the country, Selma will rise to the top. We shall see.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
A Best Picture nomination with no directing, acting, or screenplay nomination to follow. That's a token nomination if I ever saw one, especially with the voting system allowing for up to 10 nominations yearly.
I think it may have something to do with it being released so late in the season. Previews JUST IN TIME to be considered for 2014 Oscar with a 2015 general release.

I thought it was very bad timing. I really expected the release to come later to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Selma to Montgomery march.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
I think just due to the fact that it was filmed over sixteen thousand years or whatever, Boyhood has it in the bag, with Birdman being a close second due to the single shot through the entire film gimmick. But maybe due to the snubs here and what is going on in the country, Selma will rise to the top. We shall see.
I actually think Boyhood is that good. The 12 year filming gimmick may be a gimmick, but it was exceedingly effective. I've never seen that done on film this well, and the only show that actually rivals the way the characters grow up as in Boyhood is my favorite TV show, Mad Men.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom