Osborne Lights Officially Returning for 2015 for 20th and Final Season

KikoKea

I'm not sure how much they will actually get back. All of the original lights were replaced by LED, which I assume the family won't be getting back, and Disney will probably scrap them. I would guess the family will get back the structures that were originally in AR. All of the dancing programming and hardware will be Disney owned.

So really, the display is being broken up, and will not be salvageable as a complete show again. Any other park would probably be better off to just create a show from scratch, rather than trying to patch up a rebirth of the Osborne Lights.
In that case, perhaps they will donate what they get back to an organization in AR. I remember when we lived in IL, a local Catholic organization set up lighted figures along the road leading to and from the building. We loaded the boys in the van, brought hot cocoa with us, and drove through the show.

Fox&Hound

I am so so so so so heartbroken by this decision. I understand change is inevitable and I am the biggest fan of change coming to Hollywood Studios because it desperately needs it. But, the lights are so magical and have become such an integral part of many people's holidays. I can't imagine Disney Christmas without them. I think Disney Springs would have been a perfect option and they should have built it with the lights transitioning there in mind. So, so sad....

JohnD

I'm not sure how much they will actually get back. All of the original lights were replaced by LED, which I assume the family won't be getting back, and Disney will probably scrap them. I would guess the family will get back the structures that were originally in AR. All of the dancing programming and hardware will be Disney owned.

So really, the display is being broken up, and will not be salvageable as a complete show again. Any other park would probably be better off to just create a show from scratch, rather than trying to patch up a rebirth of the Osborne Lights.

Not to mention the cat.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I think Disney Springs would have been a perfect option and they should have built it with the lights transitioning there in mind. So, so sad....

You can't run a light show in an operating venue like Disney Springs. Its a 6 month install and removal process, and looks a complete mess during the daytime. Not to mention you would have to put holes, mounting locations and electrical cables all over buildings that are not designed for it. Then you have people trying to actual go in an out of the shops and restaurants, and all the crowds watching the lights would cause a complete bottle neck.

Crazydisneyfanluke

For me Future World is the place to go at Epcot. World Showcase already as the Illum Holiday Show, Candlelight, and the Holiday Storytellers. Future World has barely anything, and has all that available space in the evenings. Lights of Winter fitted there perfectly, and the whole area around Fountain of Nations, and the bridge to World Showcase could serve very well for a light show.

However, I think we'll probably see a number of small offering split between MK and DHS, rather than a new blockbuster addition.
What do you think about a holiday show with projection mapping, lights and use of the fountains in Innovetions?

po1998

I'm sure that like many other times in the past, for the bean counters, it comes down to will it be just as crowded this holiday season without the lights? Yes? Then to the scrap heap they go. Just a continuing trend around WDW of fewer and fewer holiday decorations.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I'm sure that like many other times in the past, for the bean counters, it comes down to will it be just as crowded this holiday season without the lights? Yes? Then to the scrap heap they go. Just a continuing trend around WDW of fewer and fewer holiday decorations.
I don't think that is even remotely how the discussion went. The lights have been on borrowed time for awhile. The fact that they are even showing them this year shows Disney sees the value in running the lights. They just don't have a home anymore and they don't think it is worth paying to put a 20+ year old show elsewhere, complete with considerable infrastructure upgrades. They can just build a new offering de novo.

Wait til you hear about the 20+ year old Muppets leaving...

Jon81uk

Certainly. The Osborne Lights have been a mainstay for the holidays at Disney's Hollywood Studios ever since the park's infancy. And now, much like many attractions, it's falling victim to the evil art of corporate greed. I mean, look at the facts: The Magic of Disney Animation, Innoventions West, possibly Walt Disney: One Man's Dream and Muppet*Vision 3D, Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular, and now the Osborne Lights...all closed due to corporate greed!

Seriously, given that Disney plans to use mostly Frozen, Star Wars, Toy Story and Avatar in their recent park expansions, it stands to reason that Iger is turning into the next Eisner because the only thing that seems to be on his mind is MONEY.

It's always about money, but equally we can't complain that nothing changes at DHS and then complain when things do change. All of the shows at that park are 20 years or older. It hasn't been a working studio for over 10 years since residential street was demolished and therefore the rest of Streets of America are no longer relevant. It's time to switch the park from a studio with some rides to a proper theme park.
If you want a working studio tour go to Warner Bros or Universal in LA. But most filming is done on location nowadays so backlots are becoming less relevant and it's time to retire the concept of a studios theme park.

Yankee Mouse

It's always about money, but equally we can't complain that nothing changes at DHS and then complain when things do change. All of the shows at that park are 20 years or older. It hasn't been a working studio for over 10 years since residential street was demolished and therefore the rest of Streets of America are no longer relevant. It's time to switch the park from a studio with some rides to a proper theme park.
If you want a working studio tour go to Warner Bros or Universal in LA. But most filming is done on location nowadays so backlots are becoming less relevant and it's time to retire the concept of a studios theme park.

I agree with you about complaining about nothing changing, and still complaining about changes but one of the reasons Disney bought up so much land in Florida was so that they could expand and yet the only new real expansions have been hotels and multi-million dollar homes.

Also, in addition to the infrastructure issues with moving the lights (which I think it is a cop out because Disney used to be a leader in innovation), another reason (the main one I think) they won't go somewhere like Disney Springs or a resort is because if they go there, they can't charge people.

I am very disappointed to see the lights going away, even if it is for star wars, which I am very excited about. But if they did real expansions with all the land they have they wouldn't have to get rid of attractions like this. That to me is the frustrating part.

culturenthrills

It's not just the lights going away it is just another cut to holiday stuff at Walt Disney World. WDW used to rule Christmas time but they have cut one thing after another. With the lights going away that is a huge reason many came during the holidays. SeaWorld and BGT have already stepped up their game during the holidays I wonder if Universal will step up their holiday offerings next year with WDW getting rid of another hugely popular holiday thing.

prberk

They just don't have a home anymore and they don't think it is worth paying to put a 20+ year old show elsewhere, complete with considerable infrastructure upgrades. They can just build a new offering de novo.

Umm, Main Street Electrical Parade....

Actually I think it would be nice to have a whole new version of the family's Christmas lights somewhere. Would not have to be the same. But overall I think it is OK to remove them, but not without replacing them with some good decorations of some sort. Disney used to be creative. Maybe they will be again. We can only hope...

But then again, the Main Street Electrical Parade was innovative, then left all the way across country, then came back for a memory... then never left again!

KeithVH

So. What - that basically leaves a tree as decoration here or there. Maybe a wreath or two. TDO has pretty much neutered anything to do with the season at this point.

I had a thought during the LoW brouhaha (yes, I read every post of that thread) that Disney is doing their best to disassociate themselves from the reason for the season in order to appeal to all types of visitors, not just those who celebrate Christmas (oh dear, I said the C word).

mp2bill

Awwww man! So depressed that I never got to see them.

Is there any possibility that they'd moved them elsewhere on property?

Yankee Mouse

So. What - that basically leaves a tree as decoration here or there. Maybe a wreath or two. TDO has pretty much neutered anything to do with the season at this point.

I had a thought during the LoW brouhaha (yes, I read every post of that thread) that Disney is doing their best to disassociate themselves from the reason for the season in order to appeal to all types of visitors, not just those who celebrate Christmas (oh dear, I said the C word).

I don't think that is it. They still have mvmcp, holidays around the world, and the candlelight processional, which is much more religious than the Osborne lights.
Dhs is changing and they don't think it is feasable to move them.

On the bright side maybe this means they are starting construction sooner rather than later.

Fox&Hound

You can't run a light show in an operating venue like Disney Springs. Its a 6 month install and removal process, and looks a complete mess during the daytime. Not to mention you would have to put holes, mounting locations and electrical cables all over buildings that are not designed for it. Then you have people trying to actual go in an out of the shops and restaurants, and all the crowds watching the lights would cause a complete bottle neck.

Haha, I think deep down I understand this, but the heart wants what the heart wants =) The revenue and cross promotion would be amazing, it would be a great draw for Disney Springs, and would get a lot of people to eat in the restaurants while down there. But yes, it would be a congestion nightmare and logistics nightmare, and for that reason I do agree with you.

KeithVH

I don't think that is it. They still have mvmcp, holidays around the world, and the candlelight processional, which is much more religious than the Osborne lights.
Dhs is changing and they don't think it is feasable to move them.

On the bright side maybe this means they are starting construction sooner rather than later.
Yeah, trying not to be cup half-empty here. But Holiday Around the World is a much lesser thing than it used to be even just a few years ago. And while the CP is great, it is NOT an attraction. I would say the Osborne Lights would classify as such.

Just more declining by degrees . . .

LL2WDW

Yeah, trying not to be cup half-empty here. But Holiday Around the World is a much lesser thing than it used to be even just a few years ago. And while the CP is great, it is NOT an attraction. I would say the Osborne Lights would classify as such.

Just more declining by degrees . . .

Can I ask, because I'm just curious, but how is Holidays Around the World lesser than it used to be? Stories still in Mexico, Norway, Germany, Italy, America, Japan, Morocco, France, UK, not sure about Canada.

Candlelight Processional is about a 45 minute production. I would count that as a very large attraction, if you're going to count the Osborne Lights as such. IMO, a much, much greater attraction than Christmas lights...I was never a fan of the Osborne lights (but I realize this is just personal opinion).

Last edited:

LL2WDW

Hyperbole, much?

aeillill

Oh this is super depressing, I'll definitely never get a chance to see these lit now :( Not unless someone wants to gift me a visit while they're showing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom