Osborne Lights Officially Returning for 2015 for 20th and Final Season

yensid67

I suggested that they be moved 'somewhere' on property in an earlier post, so not sure if anyone posted this next location or not...what about moving Osborne Lights to (wait for it) CELEBRATION!? They are always doing creative things there to get more people into the town and what better way than moving the Osborne Lights there. Concentrate them on the downtown areas and then stretch out from there. The Hotel would look amazing decked out with lights as well as the waterfront stores and they have that huge lake to use as a backdrop!!!! Just an idea, I was trying to picture it in my mind and got all excited at what it COULD look like if Disney would INCORPORATE the lights into Celebration!

dgp602

It's Nov 2nd. The Christmas decoration watch has officially begun. And yet, I find myself still saddened by the demise of the Osborne lights. It was a huge part of my yearly Disney Christmas tradition. Standing in the middle of the Streets, staring in awe and listening to the music, watching families just pointing and being overwhelmed by colorful displays, are the memories I will always cherish. I cannot even imagine what it will be like next year visiting DHS without this display.....:(:(

TyrantBoss

I'm glad this is the last year of the Osborne lights.
Yeah...it's pretty, but for some reason is always seemed beneath Disney. They basically took someone else's idea, some people who synched up the lights on their house one Christmas, and made it part of one of their parks?
Disney should be the originator of everything they do. Sometimes I wish they would stop worry so much about constantly trying to market Frozen into everything, or constantly create new princesses, and go back to making entertaining and amazing rides that push the limit of our imaginations.

Hopefully Star Wars Land will do that. I really do hope it is not just a lot of boring dark rides and more of the same. The DisneyWorld loyalists really deserve something amazing and innovative.

gbruenin

Seemed to have a couple new music choices for the 'dancing lights' segments. Folks already noted the Tink/20 and Kermit extras. Star Wars light sabers showed up as well. Absent (at least last night) was the 'radio DJ' announcements which played periodically over the last few years....didn't miss that one bit. Nice 'Lady and the Tramp' acknowledgement.

There were a few Halloween-costumed folks on NY Street....very funny mashup of events.

I'm still mourning the loss of LoW, so I'll visit a lot this year as I'll miss Osborne Lights just as much as LoW in the future.

dgp602

I'm glad this is the last year of the Osborne lights.
Yeah...it's pretty, but for some reason is always seemed beneath Disney. They basically took someone else's idea, some people who synched up the lights on their house one Christmas, and made it part of one of their parks?
Disney should be the originator of everything they do. Sometimes I wish they would stop worry so much about constantly trying to market Frozen into everything, or constantly create new princesses, and go back to making entertaining and amazing rides that push the limit of our imaginations.

Hopefully Star Wars Land will do that. I really do hope it is not just a lot of boring dark rides and more of the same. The DisneyWorld loyalists really deserve something amazing and innovative.

Beneath Disney?? They took a Christmas light display and PLUSSED the heck out of it! The Osborne's did not invent the idea of hanging Christmas lights up and synching them up to music. Disney was decorating for Christmas long before the Osborne Lights were introduced at DHS. Following your logic, then because Disney did not originate the idea of poinsettia's and wreaths, it is beneath them to display those Christmas decorations and make them part of their parks as well???

And continuing your "Disney should be the originator of everything they do" logic, they BOUGHT the rights to Star Wars from Lucas Films, so your argument is flawed. They are not "the originator" of Stars Wars, or the Muppets, or any Pixar Character prior to Disney's purchase of Pixar. And if you want to move over the Magic Kingdom, Disney was not the "originator" of Winnie the Pooh, Beauty and the Beast or Cinderella for that matter!! They took old fairy tales and childhood stories and adapted them and plussed them as well!!

note2001

The only things that didn't sit well with me on the OL were the name and the energy used. They addressed the latter with changing over to LEDs. In many manners, the OL we saw was not at all the original private display at all . Some of the (in my opinion) hokier elements were: the globe, carousel and angels. Disney could have done something to improve those. But even the 'tree' that was a centerpiece of the old 1993 OL when it was private was entirely redesigned by Disney.

For historic photos and to make your own comparison, check out http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...s-way-from-arkansas-to-walt-disney-world.aspx

Last edited:

gbruenin

The comments on the 'original' vs 'Disney' version of the lights reminded me of one more item....one of the storefronts near the 'movie theater' is themed as something like 'Osborne Electric'....running video of the story of the original display and of the move to WDW. A nice tribute.

wannabeBelle

Be sure to stop and check out the band formerly know as Mulch, Sweat & Shears playing at the Finish line Party. Set times are at 12:00am 1:00am 2:00am 3:00am. Have a great time!!! Marie

TyrantBoss

Beneath Disney?? They took a Christmas light display and PLUSSED the heck out of it! The Osborne's did not invent the idea of hanging Christmas lights up and synching them up to music. Disney was decorating for Christmas long before the Osborne Lights were introduced at DHS. Following your logic, then because Disney did not originate the idea of poinsettia's and wreaths, it is beneath them to display those Christmas decorations and make them part of their parks as well???

And continuing your "Disney should be the originator of everything they do" logic, they BOUGHT the rights to Star Wars from Lucas Films, so your argument is flawed. They are not "the originator" of Stars Wars, or the Muppets, or any Pixar Character prior to Disney's purchase of Pixar. And if you want to move over the Magic Kingdom, Disney was not the "originator" of Winnie the Pooh, Beauty and the Beast or Cinderella for that matter!! They took old fairy tales and childhood stories and adapted them and plussed them as well!!

Why so defensive of Disney? Do you think they can do no wrong? or Are you a stockholder? or Does any criticism of Disney actually put you on the defensive because you know that it's actually accurate?

Either way....your vehement defense looks desperately desperate.

dgp602

Why so defensive of Disney? Do you think they can do no wrong? or Are you a stockholder? or Does any criticism of Disney actually put you on the defensive because you know that it's actually accurate?

Either way....your vehement defense looks desperately desperate.
I love a good debate, but debate me with accurate facts....

Texas84

Be sure to stop and check out the band formerly know as Mulch, Sweat & Shears playing at the Finish line Party. Set times are at 12:00am 1:00am 2:00am 3:00am. Have a great time!!! Marie

Really? I was planning on skipping the party but now I might change my mind. Although if it's way back at America Gardens I might not make it that far. :)

TyrantBoss

I love a good debate, but debate me with accurate facts....

This is not a debate on facts. It is a debate on opinion. My opinion differs from yours.
In your opinion Disney can do no wrong and are the purveyors of everything great....in my opinion....Disney World is becoming a pure marketing ploy and even Epcot does not showcase innovation anymore. It's a shell of what it used to be.

wannabeBelle

Really? I was planning on skipping the party but now I might change my mind. Although if it's way back at America Gardens I might not make it that far. :)
Absolutely dead out true as per the Mulch Newsletter. Here is the link to the one I just got, if you want to subscribe there is a link for that in the upper left area: http://us11.campaign-archive2.com/?u=4e8f5f51aeade19cd1ce97724&id=6a373b3e83&e=d92dbbccb6
Best of luck on the run and I have faith, you can do it!!!! Marie

DisneyGigi

So the last showing will be on the 3rd correct? Going down on the 3rd so just wanted to make sure the dates included that last day and does not end the 2nd.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
So the last showing will be on the 3rd correct? Going down on the 3rd so just wanted to make sure the dates included that last day and does not end the 2nd.
Yes barring any last minute extension, the final performance will be Jan 3 2016 from 6pm to park close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom