Osborne Lights Christmas 2015

DisneyGal1221

Original Poster
Hi All, my family is trying to plan our 2015 trip to Disney World and my mother keeps mentioning visiting when the Osborne Lights will be up. I have read hints or opinions that the lights may not be up this coming holiday season due to the expected changes at Hollywood Studios. Has that ever been officially announced? What are you best guesses? I would hate to schedule a trip during a busy period just to see lights and then them not be displayed. Thanks for any help!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
There has been no announcement made regarding the lights for 2015. Speculation indicates that a final decision has not been made, and that internally, they are planning on showing the lights unless told otherwise.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
When we were there in November we were right behind someones conversation with one of the engineers/higher ups (saw his badge but don't remember his name.). He was asked about this and said he knows there is lots of rumors it would be going away for a while but he said that is not going to be the case and forsees the lights to stay as they are for the near future next year etc. Take this with a grain of salt but he seemed pretty sure in his facial expressions without giving away details. :)

yedliW

I am hoping it is back for at least 1 more year, I haven't had a chance to be there when they are up and running, and will be there when it should be going.

If they do not do it in 2015, we may not even go to HS for this trip. (of course I say that now.. but come November, I'm sure we'll be headed over for a day.. ;) )

DisneyGal1221

Original Poster
I didn't realize that Streets of America would be gone...guess we better take the opportunity if it is there this year. Thanks for the help!

Tobe

There is also so much else to see and enjoy during the holiday period too even if (and I hope to God it isn't!) this was the last year for the Osborne Family lights. And if you go after Thanksgiving weekend but before Christmas, it is one of the slower times of the year too.

This was our first time being there for Christmas decorations and I absolutely loved it. I really hope if they do demolish the Streets of America area, they could find an alternate location for at least a modified version of the Osborne Family Lights. It was probably a tie between them and Cinderella's lit up castle for my favorite thing at the parks for Christmas.

Goofyernmost

There is also so much else to see and enjoy during the holiday period too even if (and I hope to God it isn't!) this was the last year for the Osborne Family lights. And if you go after Thanksgiving weekend but before Christmas, it is one of the slower times of the year too.

This was our first time being there for Christmas decorations and I absolutely loved it. I really hope if they do demolish the Streets of America area, they could find an alternate location for at least a modified version of the Osborne Family Lights. It was probably a tie between them and Cinderella's lit up castle for my favorite thing at the parks for Christmas.
I think it would be spectacular as a wrap around World Showcase. Can you imagine seeing all those lights reflecting on the lagoon?

MerlinTheGoat

I'd be curious as to whether the current Osborne Lights can even work with the types of facades World Showcase has. They're designed for flat facades, probably most of the WS building don't fit the designs of the Streets of America facades. Which is one reason why Disney Springs has been rumored, the buildings probably better fit the current configuration of the lights. My guess is that the lights would need to be reassembled differently to work with WS, something I seriously doubt they're willing to pay for. I could be wrong though.

Personally i'd love to see a lot more decorations at World Showcase, though thinking about it i'm not sure if the Osborne Lights are a good fit anyways. They work really well with the American New York style facades of Streets of America, as well as the original Residential Street location. But there are a lot of historical aesthetics with the international pavilions whose theme might clash with the current modern American style of the Osborne Lights (perhaps too colorfully flamboyant too). Would be cool to see something new and different for the WS countries. Perhaps something different for EACH individual country.

Heck, i'd say even the American Adventure pavilion would warrant something more classical and traditional than the more modern looking lights at DHS, something like what the Opryland Hotel does would be a good fit there (LED's are fine, but it's important to make them the warm amber color that traditional lights used to have)-
3123174218_fa1b7a1637.jpg

Last edited:

Duckberg

The Lights have always been worth seeing ;). Hope they will not be removed, but IF they are prior to 2015 Xmas it would be nice for WDW to provide a same or alternative replacement high caliber Lights display, somewhere on property for the holidays :)!

HauntedMansionFLA

These truly are a spectacle to behold. Are they rumored to go away forever?
Rumors are flying around everywhere - from re- locating them at EPCOT or Disney Springs? We will have to wait and see. We saw them back in 2010. It was awesome so it would be crazy to get rid of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom