Osborne Lights - anything new?

Mammymouse

Original Poster
Anything new this year in the Osborne Lights does anyone know? They are such an outstanding display and the music is so inspiring at getting the mood going. It is my favorite Christmas attraction.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I was actually just searching the site for info about this. I've never seen this display and this next trip will be our first time. From what I've read, it runs all night, but is there anything special about being there for the "first" time it is turned on each evening? Is it worth trying to be there for this time, or is any time throughout the evening ok?

devoy1701

I was actually just searching the site for info about this. I've never seen this display and this next trip will be our first time. From what I've read, it runs all night, but is there anything special about being there for the "first" time it is turned on each evening? Is it worth trying to be there for this time, or is any time throughout the evening ok?

yes, there is a light-lighting ceremony where they pick one child (or group of children) to help the MCs with the "larger than normal" light switch that will turn on all of the lights.

Now I dumbed that down tremendously...but that is the jist of it.

Tigger1988

Words can't describe how amazing it is to watch the street go from looking dark to being totally lit up in the matter of a few seconds. Get there for the lighting ceremony, you won't regret it.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Words can't describe how amazing it is to watch the street go from looking dark to being totally lit up in the matter of a few seconds. Get there for the lighting ceremony, you won't regret it.

Do they put the time on the board or the entertainment schedule, or is it a standard time every night? I didn't see anything listed on either the official site or on here. I'd love to try and make the ceremony.

Lisalyn

It usually "starts" around 630 pm when it is becoming dark. If it is your first time you absolutely MUST get there for when the special helper flicks on the light switch. It's absolutely amazing! Words can't even describe it. DD and I experienced Osborne Lights for the first time 2 years ago...we got to the main area around 545 so as to get a good spot....it's very cool with all the people entering, and people watching, and waiting in anticipation - you can see it on everyone's faces....then an announcer starts talking - they explain about the lights and how they came about and such....the music, the flick of the switch and WHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You won't even know what hit you!!!:ROFLOL:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It usually "starts" around 630 pm when it is becoming dark. If it is your first time you absolutely MUST get there for when the special helper flicks on the light switch. It's absolutely amazing! Words can't even describe it. DD and I experienced Osborne Lights for the first time 2 years ago...we got to the main area around 545 so as to get a good spot....it's very cool with all the people entering, and people watching, and waiting in anticipation - you can see it on everyone's faces....then an announcer starts talking - they explain about the lights and how they came about and such....the music, the flick of the switch and WHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You won't even know what hit you!!!:ROFLOL:

Thank you everyone for answering my (slightly thread drifting) questions.
Do you think we need to get there 45 min early, or was that just to get a "prime" location? My nearly 3 year old DD may not have the patience to stand and wait for 45 min, even though I know she will LOVE the end result. I know it probably depends on the crowd levels in the park for that particular day, but I think that she would go banannas to see them all come on at once, and if we're reccommended to get there early, we'll want to plan accordingly.

Lisalyn

Do you think we need to get there 45 min early, or was that just to get a "prime" location? My nearly 3 year old DD may not have the patience to stand and wait for 45 min, even though I know she will LOVE the end result. I know it probably depends on the crowd levels in the park for that particular day, but I think that she would go banannas to see them all come on at once, and if we're reccommended to get there early, we'll want to plan accordingly.

Well we tend to over compensate when it comes to being early :)D) but we are such dorks we don't want to miss a thing. I think you are safe 30 minutes out - just be forewarned it does get very busy. There will be so much for your daughter to see and such the 30 minutes will go by very fast. Besides, the look on her face once the light switch is flipped on, the music starts blaring and the lights start "dancing" - well, it is all worth it! Enjoy - I'd love to hear how it goes once you get back:wave:

PS - it snows too but don't tell her! lol

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I will have to make sure to try and capture the moment in a photo or two and share it. I can only imagine her face when all those lights come on. I'd promise to do a trip report, but honestly, my memory is so bad that it would end up being "Day 1, we went to DHS, it was fun".
We're doing DHS our first day of arrival, which I'd worried about since she's so excited to see "Mickey's Castle" (her words) that she'd be dissapointed that we dont go to MK first. I think that this will be exactly the kind of thing that will get her going. This is our first holiday trip, so that extra bit of magic is going to make the trip even better.

Pioneer Hall

I personally see no reason getting there very early. It isn't a queued attraction or a show you have to wait for, so there really is no difference getting there 45 minutes or 45 seconds before they flip the switch. I also don't really think there is a prime viewing area for the lights either since they take over that part of the park. You are going to want to walk around and see them all in order to really enjoy all that they have to offer.

With this in mind, I do recommend getting there to watch them turn on. I saw that for the first time last year (and have a video) and it was really impressive to watch the street go from dark to bright.

njDizFan

I have never been there for the opening ceremony, so I don't know if it is actually worth it to wait. But just going around the corner and seeing this incredible spectacle when it is completely dark outside is amazing. The snow and lights are awesome, also my favorite Christmas show.

Did I mention the readily available beer stands:lookaroun

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Did I mention the readily available beer stands:lookaroun

Uhhh, no you didnt, but I think that this may have pushed it over the edge. My DD may not have the patience to stand around and wait for the show, but I think that I might now that you bring this up...

Lisalyn

I personally see no reason getting there very early. It isn't a queued attraction or a show you have to wait for, so there really is no difference getting there 45 minutes or 45 seconds before they flip the switch. I also don't really think there is a prime viewing area for the lights either since they take over that part of the park. You are going to want to walk around and see them all in order to really enjoy all that they have to offer.

With this in mind, I do recommend getting there to watch them turn on. I saw that for the first time last year (and have a video) and it was really impressive to watch the street go from dark to bright.

Well like I mentioned..we tend to overcompensate and be a bit dorky but we do get there early! it's the difference between standing in a prime spot of choice when they flip on the switch vs. being stuck in the middle of a crowded area...just personal choice to get there early for me and DD :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom