One Little Spark

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
flat,800x800,075,t.u1.jpg

I've had this thread idea for a while and wanted to share with you all!

I call it One Little Spark, and it's a tribute and fan thread for all the "little" imagineering items that make Disney Parks and Resorts great! Subtle references, hidden items, music queues, and just things that the typical park guest would miss if they weren't privy to it.

Anyway, below I'll kick it off with some of my favorites, and you all should post your favorites too! We can also talk about little things that we, as armchair imagineers, would include in the parks or in our future attractions.

With that said, hope you enjoy!:)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Probably my favorite thing to look for in Disney World is hidden mickeys. Yes I have the book:p But I like to find my own.

This hidden mickey on Spaceship Earth was the first one I ever found. This was before I knew hidden mickeys were a thing....I was sitting on the left side of the SSE cab and looked at the table and was like...erm...o_O...is that mickey?:D:eek:
spaceship-earth-desk-hidden-mickey.jpg

And indeed it was...so I always thank this little hidden gem for starting me on my hidden mickey crusade:joyfull:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
The Forced Perspective

When you're walking from the Main Street Station to the Castle, the Castle looks like it's further away than it really is. This is to keep guests moving towards their destination as if they have to venture into the park
DatelineDisneyWorld705-IMG_9608.jpg

However...

mk_mainstreet.jpg

In reverse, the Main Street Station doesn't use forced perspective (not only to block the view of the castle from the outside) but also so the Exit on the way out appears closer for tired guests as they leave the park. So when you exit, your destination feels closer than when you enter.

Pretty cool stuff!:bookworm:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
The orientation of the food and shops

Main-Street-USA-18.jpg

People usually walk on the right hand side of the street....so as you enter the park (let's say at rope drop 9am), all the food items are on your right hand side and readily available if you wanted breakfast or something on the way in.

And then as you exit walking in the opposite direction...on your right hand side are all the shops, so before you leave you can purchase those last minute souvenirs

So basically...even Main Street USA has a giftshop on the way out:p:eek::D

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
The Car Barn Light
carbarn4-500x375.jpg

So if you ever get to look inside the car barn to the left of the Emporium on Main Street, you'll see a small light-bulb hanging from an exposed wire in the back right corner.

Disney actually hires someone to hand-make that single lightbulb each year, using only the tools that were available to Thomas Edison when he made the first light-blub.

So that bulb actually looks like what you would have seen during that time-period and on a "main street" back in the day!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
The Emporium

emporium-00.jpg

So this might be known by most of you all, but the neat thing about the Emporium is that all the sections of the store are connected together. You can walk from Casey's all the way through to the entrance on the other end of the street, which helps for two reasons.

1 - for crowd control during parades and fireworks
but also
2 - Keeps guests in the store. If you don't have to go in and out of stores, you're more likely to stay in the store and buy something, and that's exactly what Disney would like:greedy::p

I like it personally, just because it makes it a lot easier to head out of the park when Main Street is crowded. But it's another little hidden thing that makes Main Street unique!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom