Once again, another video with Disney showing the yeti moving.

Kuzcotopia

My favorite advertising example is for a product called Denorex. Not sure if they still make it, but in the day they'd have these commercials that said:

"Denorex has the exact same dandruff fighting ingredients as the leading brand, but Denorex has something extra that tingles."

Along with this narration, they show two clear cylinders. . . Both get filled with the same substance, then the Denorex side gets something added.

So. . . Let's break this down. Denorex has the exact same ingredients as the leading brand, just something extra that doesn't do anything except cause your scalp to tingle. Really? Really?!?

My point? Since the first herdsman sold his first broken down camel to some unsuspecting mark, humans have exaggerated or deceived to sell their products.

It makes me as upset and disappointed as anyone. . . But what did you expect?

erasure fan1

It is annoying that's for sure. Knowing it is busted and that its not going to be fixed anytime soon, and still showing it in its full glory, is pretty pathetic in my eyes. But this comes from the people who show little girls meeting the princesses in the beautiful lush lawns viewing the castle. Its been part of their gig for a long time and I am not really sure why they feel the need to do it. Its not like people aren't going to come to the parks if they show the yeti stationary or people meeting characters in their actual spots.

Goofyernmost

My favorite advertising example is for a product called Denorex. Not sure if they still make it, but in the day they'd have these commercials that said:

"Denorex has the exact same dandruff fighting ingredients as the leading brand, but Denorex has something extra that tingles."

Along with this narration, they show two clear cylinders. . . Both get filled with the same substance, then the Denorex side gets something added.

So. . . Let's break this down. Denorex has the exact same ingredients as the leading brand, just something extra that doesn't do anything except cause your scalp to tingle. Really? Really?!?

My point? Since the first herdsman sold his first broken down camel to some unsuspecting mark, humans have exaggerated or deceived to sell their products.

It makes me as upset and disappointed as anyone. . . But what did you expect?
It doesn't upset me, and it shouldn't upset anyone. So once again I will say it. It's a Theme Park people. Lighten up! I watched it a number of times and the split second flash really isn't convincing that it was moving or the camera was moving past it. Even if it was moving, it was to small a part of the ad to make an iota of difference to people that had never been there. I doubt that it was on the screen long enough to actually register with anyone that wasn't obsessed with WDW.

Bluewaves

Its advertising, they also Tink flying freely around dropping pixie dust on people and Mickey Mouse standing on top of SSE waving, just have to take it with a grain of salt, I think the more disappointing things are those specials they show talking about the Yeti and all its glorious detail to know it just sits there and does nothing.

Kuzcotopia

It doesn't upset me, and it shouldn't upset anyone. So once again I will say it. It's a Theme Park people. Lighten up! I watched it a number of times and the split second flash really isn't convincing that it was moving or the camera was moving past it. Even if it was moving, it was to small a part of the ad to make an iota of difference to people that had never been there. I doubt that it was on the screen long enough to actually register with anyone that wasn't obsessed with WDW.

You're right. . . My post was meant to convey that idea. Ads are misleading everywhere, so why would this be a big deal?

Am I upset that ads are misleading everywhere? Well. . . yeah.

Anyway, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Goofyernmost

You're right. . . My post was meant to convey that idea. Ads are misleading everywhere, so why would this be a big deal?

Am I upset that ads are misleading everywhere? Well. . . yeah.

Anyway, sorry if that wasn't clear.
What you said didn't upset me, I figured it was your opinion as mine is my opinion. What upsets me is grown-up, worldly people cannot, at this point in time, be able to understand what advertising is all about. Truth in advertising is important for many things. Promoting a Theme Park to make it look like fun is the sum total of the experience not an individual thing. Besides, I said this before, all of Disney entertainment is a show, not a fact. One could start today and for the next 10 years be able to point out things that are not really real at Disney. As adults we need to be able to recognize that.

Truth in advertising is absolutely important if you are advertising, for example, a drug that prevents heart attacks when in reality it is about as effective as scratching one's nose. That is where the truth is important enough to get all militant about it.

Last edited:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
l-Oh-noes.jpeg

Mr Anderson

While I agree it is annoying, I too think that the average guest, who doesn't read about these things, doesn't notice the yetti, or any other malfunction that they don't know to look for. My husband didn't notice anything wrong with the yetti... and he's pretty detail-oriented. But he also hasn't been coming here to read up on these things like I have.
Agreed. My wife and I were talking about EE, and I said I hoped the yeti was working on our next trip, and she swears she saw the yeti moving on our last trip in Sept. '13. But, since I had watched several videos about the parks, and seen his range of motion, I noticed they only had a strobe on him when we went back.

NearTheEars

I wonder do the typical day guest and those not familiar with with the modes of the Yeti - do they even notice or pay attention?

What is also deceptive is how empty the parks are. They need to show the real magic kingdom with all those people.

I don't think they do. My DF, who doesn't read here, said back when we first road it together in 2010 "it's so scary I thought he was going to grab us."

Anecdotal, I know. But just sharing.

The only reason I knew it wasn't functioning was from reading the thread here. I watched the specials about it being built and such years back, but I'm not sure I could have actually noticed either. You move so quick through that section.

Maybe some day we'll get to experience the real deal.

disney4life2008

I don't think they do. My DF, who doesn't read here, said back when we first road it together in 2010 "it's so scary I thought he was going to grab us."

Anecdotal, I know. But just sharing.

The only reason I knew it wasn't functioning was from reading the thread here. I watched the specials about it being built and such years back, but I'm not sure I could have actually noticed either. You move so quick through that section.

Maybe some day we'll get to experience the real deal.

Does anyone know when the Yeti became non-operational?

Chef Mickey

It may be just a theme park for you...

Goofyernmost

It may be just a theme park for you...
Well, that isn't completely correct. I wouldn't be on this board if I wasn't a Disney fan. I was touched emotionally by WDW when I was in my mid 30's in 1983. I was totally blown away by it. The sites the sounds, the way it made me feel. The way it lifted life's burdens even if just for a few minutes.

However, when we lift all the emotional baggage that we all carry it is really just a, for profit, theme park. It hits many of the proper buttons and is special to us, but because of that we tend to get all upset about some small thing. I have seen it over and over and have even done it myself. I have cemented this image of what WDW once was and it didn't matter if my perception at the time was correct or not. I stuck with that vision. Then I read about Disney Parks right down to the first one. I listened to interviews of reputable people that were there. I connected that to my own experience and visual memories and found out that the originals were far from perfect. But, because we were so affected by what was very good we were able to overlook and not even see the flaws. But they existed. I'm not going to get all knotted up about a animatronic that went bad. I think wasn't it great that they even tried it.

Specifically I am referring to the Yeti. If I were to ride EE 50 times a day the amount of exposure that I would have had to the "operational" Yeti would have been less then a minute in that day. I'm sad that it isn't working, but considering the grief that Disney has taken because it is broken, there is no way that if it were an easy fix it wouldn't be up and running as we speak.

So, I refuse to ignore that 1000's of other wonderful things and dwell on one, albeit major, prop that failed. When Walt was alive there were many things that either didn't work to begin with or managed to breakdown. Know what happened then. If it could be fixed it was. If it couldn't that attraction was history and something new replaced it. Today's super-fan will not allow anything to be removed to begin with (something that Walt never had to deal with) and secondly do not or will not recognize that sometime crap happens and sometimes other then complete replacement, cannot fix it.

Chef Mickey

Well, that isn't completely correct. I wouldn't be on this board if I wasn't a Disney fan. I was touched emotionally by WDW when I was in my mid 30's in 1983. I was totally blown away by it. The sites the sounds, the way it made me feel. The way it lifted life's burdens even if just for a few minutes.

However, when we lift all the emotional baggage that we all carry it is really just a, for profit, theme park. It hits many of the proper buttons and is special to us, but because of that we tend to get all upset about some small thing. I have seen it over and over and have even done it myself. I have cemented this image of what WDW once was and it didn't matter if my perception at the time was correct or not. I stuck with that vision. Then I read about Disney Parks right down to the first one. I listened to interviews of reputable people that were there. I connected that to my own experience and visual memories and found out that the originals were far from perfect. But, because we were so affected by what was very good we were able to overlook and not even see the flaws. But they existed. I'm not going to get all knotted up about a animatronic that went bad. I think wasn't it great that they even tried it.

Specifically I am referring to the Yeti. If I were to ride EE 50 times a day the amount of exposure that I would have had to the "operational" Yeti would have been less then a minute in that day. I'm sad that it isn't working, but considering the grief that Disney has taken because it is broken, there is no way that if it were an easy fix it wouldn't be up and running as we speak.

So, I refuse to ignore that 1000's of other wonderful things and dwell on one, albeit major, prop that failed. When Walt was alive there were many things that either didn't work to begin with or managed to breakdown. Know what happened then. If it could be fixed it was. If it couldn't that attraction was history and something new replaced it. Today's super-fan will not allow anything to be removed to begin with (something that Walt never had to deal with) and secondly do not or will not recognize that sometime crap happens and sometimes other then complete replacement, cannot fix it.
An operational Yeti symbolizes what makes Disney, Disney. If it doesn't work, it's a bad show, something Walt would have never allowed. Everything should work. At least, every major thing. It's a completely different ride without Yeti. I'm not going to say a trashcan not emptied is signaling the end, but a Yeti broken for years is unacceptable and wouldn't have happened on Walt's watch.

Your mentality is sound and logical, but Disney at its best is not always about ROI. The very issue with the parks today is that they are beginning to be operated purely on ROI and an "Is it worth the expense" mentality. If enough things slide, Disney will become just like any theme park and will lose Walt's DNA.

I'm not saying it makes me hate Disney, but I genuinely care too much to just let it slide and think it's just one small thing. Those things add up and ultimately help define what separates Disney from everyone else.

Roakor

It's pretty bad. As is the whole "running through Cinderella Castle and hugging a waiting Minnie and Mickey" cliche. We've been conditioned to accept it, but it's really just a lie.
There's a difference between showing an area in an ideal state and showing something that literally never happens.

Oh if you have the money I'm sure they could make it happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom