On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Touchdown

Notre Dame is like the New England Patriots, either love em or hate em. I remember the 1987 football game between Notre Dame and the University of Miami in South Bend. A smart college kid at ND made some money printing shirts " Catholics vs. Convicts ".

More like the Dallas Cowboys, the Patriots success is only in the last 20 years, Dallas and ND have a history of success in multiple eras of the sport (but are currently in a prolonged drought)

lewisc

Not have a park they let rot for 25+ years that’s entirely dependent on meat market festivals with food booths and 80’s bands?
A suggestion. Put a large screen in front of the stage. Maybe Disney could secure the rights to show videos of performances of 90s bands.
If I’m remembering correctly and since you’re curious these were the top 5 out of state visitors when I worked at Disney. But this was well over a decade ago, actually closer to 2 decades now, so it might have changed somewhat but I doubt much.
1. New York
2. New Jersey
3. Massachusetts
4. Connecticut
5. Texas
I read around 10% of visitors are international
A significant number of guests cant visit or are subject to quarantine requirements coming and or returning.

DVCakaCarlF

Notre Dame is like the New England Patriots, either love em or hate em. I remember the 1987 football game between Notre Dame and the University of Miami in South Bend. A smart college kid at ND made some money printing shirts " Catholics vs. Convicts ".
Everybody hates the patriots...and the eagles...and the cowboys

CaptainAmerica

If I had guess...they are.

And they really don’t want to deal with this brand of headache.
The blockout date website is visible to the public. It looks like cast members are able to admit themselves a couple of days in advance (today, tomorrow, and Sunday as of this morning) but they are not allowed to admit guests.

In other words, Disney is letting in their young single cast (lower income and less likely to spend on F&B and merch) while blocking out their married cast with families (higher income and more likely to spend on F&B and merch, not to mention much more likely to book a staycation for themselves in an on-property resort).

mikejs78

Premium Member
Well, many of us on this site are known for having "agendas."
Maybe, but I have never seen the hint of an agenda from Steve. @wdwmagic puts up with a lot of crap, and he may have his opinions about the parks, the leadership, etc, but to be honest I don't know what they are because they never enter into his reporting (other than when he does a review of something, but even then it always comes off as an honest critique, not an agenda-fueled rant like some on this site). To accuse Steve of pushing an agenda is like accusing Walt Disney of hating Mickey Mouse.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

@wdwmagic Steve, he says that you're trying to create a narrative? I'm pretty sure that wasn't your objective, it's just a photo! Also you've posted loads of photos of an empty hub, or an empty Epcot. He's going ALL IN on just one photo.

I think I said on twitter, that the intent of the picture was to show that everyone was in masks, physical distancing was in effect, and it was a view point that we typically don't see. I also thought that most people would be able to count, and see that there are about 50 guests in the photo. Really not sure how anyone could think that was showing thousands of people streaming into the park. And of course, I've posted hundreds of pictures from around the parks in recent weeks showing empty walkways. 🤷🏻‍♂️

tirian

On how much the NBA is subsidizing WDW ops, the bill Disney is presenting is about $1.5 million a day. That's...... not a lot of money.

It could be argued that Bob Iger is using company resources to broker money losing deals with the NBA. The bet is Disney will make the losses back in TV ad revenue. The odds on that much cash coming in..... not good. Won't be the first time Disney lost a bunch of money on the NBA in Orlando.

For certain: Bob Iger's "friendship" with Adam Silver will continue to be cultivated.
And Iger will write a book sequel stressing their friendship and claiming he could’ve been a great athlete if things had gone differently with the NBA or NFL or whatever. ;)

tirian

But do we really know the financials involved in the NBA operation?

TWDC pays NBA billions of dollars for broadcast rights .. there's mountains of dollars exchanging hands with or without the bubble. I wouldn't be surprised if the money flowing from NBA's side is using a less conventional vehicle than we're all assuming.
I’m sorry, my post was honestly intended as a joke. I should’ve put a winky face and will go back to add it.

CaptainAmerica

On how much the NBA is subsidizing WDW ops, the bill Disney is presenting is about $1.5 million a day. That's...... not a lot of money.

It could be argued that Bob Iger is using company resources to broker money losing deals with the NBA. The bet is Disney will make the losses back in TV ad revenue. The odds on that much cash coming in..... not good. Won't be the first time Disney lost a bunch of money on the NBA in Orlando.

For certain: Bob Iger's "friendship" with Adam Silver will continue to be cultivated.
I don't think these are "losses." The NBA-in-a-bubble idea was never supposed to be a profitable Parks & Resorts venture. It's a break-even Parks idea designed to ease some of the bleeding at ESPN.

_caleb

I think I said on twitter, that the intent of the picture was to show that everyone was in masks, physical distancing was in effect, and it was a view point that we typically don't see. I also thought that most people would be able to count, and see that there are about 50 guests in the photo. Really not sure how anyone could think that was showing thousands of people streaming into the park. And of course, I've posted hundreds of pictures from around the parks in recent weeks showing empty walkways. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I agree that your photo was not pushing an agenda. But this is just supports the point that you made in the previous post– so much Disney social media content finds its source here. If it isn’t gossip and rumors from “insiders,” it’s finding conspiracies in the photos you post.

But I’d still like to know how many members posting here show the same IP address. Is it a few? None? Several? @wdwmagic, do you think a coordinated effort is being made to influence public opinion (whether positively or negatively) by posting on your site?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just to add on to this, and how the views of the park can change wildly in just a matter of minutes. Same day, and look at the clock on the left hand side.

DSC06860-1.jpg

DSC06863-2.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I agree that your photo was not pushing an agenda. But this is just supports the point that you made in the previous post– so much Disney social media content finds its source here. If it isn’t gossip and rumors from “insiders,” it’s finding conspiracies in the photos you post.

But I’d still like to know how many members posting here show the same IP address. Is it a few? None? Several? @wdwmagic, do you think a coordinated effort is being made to influence public opinion (whether positively or negatively) by posting on your site?
IP address analysis doesn't really work. For example, if multiple users post from onsite at WDW using the WiFi on a particular day, they all appear to come from the same IP. In a world of unique IP's this would work, but with proxy's, shared devices, and shared networks, it doesn't. We do use other techniques to detect multiple accounts.

matt9112

I've been discussing this with my wife. We're predicting Orlando becomes the next Detroit, due to it being a reasonably high-crime city that's married to a single industry that's about to collapse.

Nah detroit is legitimately rubbish. Orlando isn't half as bad and being in florida i can shoot back. To be fair it could suffer alot but i think it will be far more bounceier than detroit in coming back. People still want to live here. Ever here anyone want to move to detroit?

I want to buy my AP again....but there not even selling them 🤣🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom