Official Photo Contest Weekly TOPICS and RULES!

barnum42

speck76 said:
Since nobody is sending me ideas, it is too early to rule out all manipulation. We can always have certain contests that could require manipulation, or have it optional based on certain subjects.
Maybe "cleanup" manipulation is allowed - even the most basic of digital cameras comes with a package that allows you to sort out colour and contrast. But unless the competition says otherwise, all out cut and pasting is a no-no.

Manipulation examples:

Simple blurring of the background to bring out the subject : http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=y54nt5&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

More complicated removal of distracting background subjects:
http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=yfcg5f&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1
In this one there was part of another character detrating from Pluto shot, so because the ground is an even colour I was able to erase them.

All out manipulation:
http://images2.fotopic.net/?iid=yfz4in&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1
This is made up of five separate shots.

I know we are just thinking out loud here and don't want to get a simple bit of photo fun mired under a pile of rules and regulations, but maybe cropping, resizing and cleanup can be given the OK?

nicholas

I love this idea. Maybe for August, since it can be so hot, one themed to water. The main focus has to be water related, whether it be Kali, Spraygrounds, Water mice, swimming, etc.

Either that or a celebration of my birthday :p :lookaroun

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
yeh! good idea and i would love to participate if i was anywhere near ready ($) to go back.

maybe for people like MKT and myself (including others) that love photo manipulation, could have a once a month, free-for-all, anywhere in the parks photo manipulation assignment. i think that would do justice for the people that have blistered thier fingers mastering photoshop. :slurp:

and maybe in the void weeks, you could have a mullet spoting contest. that is always a lot of clean family fun.

thanks
jmaxwell007

barnum42

TAC said:
Also, can anyone answer a quick question? If I am not a premium member, can I still post a picture in a post ?
Depends on what posting rules apply to a thread. I gave up in the end (though I think on this thread you can post photos) and so I just post links to them.

speck76

Original Poster
Yeah....you can always upload the photo to your photo album and then link it, if you are not a premium member.

GenerationX

The calendar looks good. You may want to add Chip and Dale as the subject of a contest - either in the spring or in the Jan 28 - Feb 3 week (to coincide with Groundhog Day).

To add onto TAC's idea above for Labor Day - the theme could be a CM in action.

I think allowing any sort of manipulation makes the playing field uneven. Is the purpose of the contest to find the best looking image or the best unedited picture? You may have to have two contests for each subject.

speck76

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the great ideas!

Let me know if something on the calendar seems like it would be either too difficult, or is just a bad idea.

Tomorrow I will begin on specific descriptions for each contest, I would like some input here. Some contests are centered around a specific subject and are self-explanitory....I would think it would be nice if others (like Where the Magic Lives) were less explanitory, forcing us to be creative.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
jmaxwell007 said:
maybe for people like MKT and myself (including others) that love photo manipulation, could have a once a month, free-for-all, anywhere in the parks photo manipulation assignment. i think that would do justice for the people that have blistered thier fingers mastering photoshop. :slurp:

lol, if I wanna do that, I'll re-enter the photoshop contests. I meant being able to do what I can do in a darkroom in photoshop. Hell, being able to do what Ritz Photo can do in photoshop.

speck76

Original Poster
TAC said:
Do the pictures that we submit have to be taken during 2005? Or can we submit older photos ?

Photos can be taken at any time, but you can only submit each photo 1 time, and only 1 photo per contest. Also, the photo must be taken by yourself, and not anyone else.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
mkt said:
lol, if I wanna do that, I'll re-enter the photoshop contests. I meant being able to do what I can do in a darkroom in photoshop. Hell, being able to do what Ritz Photo can do in photoshop.
oooohhhhhhhh :hammer: :hammer: is it monday..................... 2 days after NYE and my birthday...................... my head hurts!!!!! lol

tigsmom

Brad, I love the ideas so far. I already have some photos in mind to submit.
I love the China Pavilion idea ( I already have some great shots), what about a contest using any of the Pavilions from EPCOT?

As for photo manipulation I would have to go vote for just basic cleaning up of photos... removing red eye, cropping... that sort of thing.

Another gold star for you!
star4.gif
And a big *thumbs up* to everyone who has contributed ideas. :sohappy:

DisneyCP2000

speck76 said:
Updated 1/3 3:45pm

February
4-10 China pavilion (Chinese New Year) Pictures must center around the China pavilion at Epcot. Pictures may include any aspect of the China Pavilion (architecture, design, landscaping/waterscaping, performers, attractions, caast members, restaurants, shops)
11-17 Valentine's Contest Photographs must show "love/caring". Photographs can use characters, cast members, or something that gives this message that is Disney related.
18-24 Presidents Day Contest Photograph should show how Disney represents the history of the USA in the parks. Photograph could be of attractions, exhibits, cast members, or anything that gets this message across.
24-3/3 Monorail photo contest Photographs should center around the WDW Monorail and/or Monorail system.

March
4-10 Imagination contest To celebrate the opening of the original JIYI, photos should be imaginative and unique (NOT looking for photos of JII)
11-17 Photograph your favorite ride Take a photo of any ride in the park. Ride = something that moves. Shows and walkthoughs are not to be included. Photo may be of ride building or structure.
18-24 Chip and Dale photograph contest Photograph Chip and Dale. Subject could be the character, or something with Chip and Dale on it.
25-31 Easter contest

April
1-7 Adventureland photo contest
8-14 photograph your favorite live show
15-21 Rainy Day photo contest
22-28 Animal Kingdom photograph contest
29-5/5 MGM photograph contest

May
6-12 Cinco de Mayo (was the day before) Mexico pavilion contest
13-19 Flower and Garden (festival) contest
20-26 photograph your favorite structure/building in the parks
27-6/2 Memorial day photograph contest

June
3-9 Donald Duck contest (birthday is 6/9)
10-16 Resort photo contest
17-23 Where Magic Lives contest (shoot something that shows the “Disney Magic”)
24-30 Live entertainment (non-character) contest

July
1-7 4th of July Contest (Patriotism in WDW)
8-14 Fireworks photograph contest
15-21 Goofy photo contest
22-28 Sunset Blvd photo contest
29-8/4 Parade photo contest

August
5-11 family photo contest
12-18 Summer fun contest
19-25 "Water" themed photo contest (must include water as the subject....in any form)
26-9/1 Disney Icon photo contest (photograph 1 of the 4 park icons, or something depicting the icon)

September
2-8 Labor day contest (photogrpah a CM in action)
9-15 Adventures in Macro photography (close-up shots)
16-22 relax, you are on vacation (photograph something shows “relaxation”)
23-29 Magic Kingdom photograph contest

October
2-8 Epcot photograph contest
7-13 Resort photograph contest
14-20 Food and Wine Festival Contest
21-27 Photograph your favorite Villain
28-11/3 Halloween Contest

November
4-10 Live animal photo contest
11-17 Celebrate the past (photograph an original attraction that opened the same day as the park it is in)
18-24 Mickey Mouse contest (his birthday is 11/18)
25-12/1 Thanksgiving Contest

December
2-8 Walt's Birthday Contest
9-15 Frontierland photo contest
16-22 Christmas at the resorts
23-29 Christmas in the parks

To save the folks from digging through pages...could you repost the rules and contests onto the first post of the thread. :) This is going to be great :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom