Off-site guests using Magic Bands for purchases?

KRAKENvsMANTA

Original Poster
Just got back from a WDW trip this weekend, and experienced the Magic Band and Fast Pass+ systems for the first time. Being a new AP passholder, I was skeptical at first, but after figuring everything out, I love it!

I enjoy using the Magic Band at the front gate and for FP+, but being an off-site guest, I was unable to make purchases with my Magic Band. I know on-site guests can use their Magic Bands for in-park purchases because the system bills their room. But I was wondering if Disney has any intention of implementing a similar systembfor off-site guests/passholders? Couldn't they link a credit/debit card to your Magic Band? Or perhaps give you the option of loading a pre-determined amount of funds onto your Magic Band? It doesn't sound like it should be that complicated. I really like the new system, but would enjoy it even more if I was allowed to use my Magic Band for in-park purchases.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am sure it has been considered and may be introduced. Currently though it is resort guests only.

dreamfinder

Seeing as how (I believe) you can add a credit card to your MDE account, I would be very surprised if they don't allow this in the future.

cw1982

Here's my understanding; someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason that onsite guests can charge using MB's is because their MB is linked to their hotel reservation, where they have a credit card on file for charges (if they have chosen to do so).

I thought I had read somewhere that Disney was trying to be very careful about making sure that people know that the MB's don't increase risk of identity theft or credit card fraud, which may be possible if someone has access to technology that could scan the MB's.

I'm no technical expert, and I'm sure I'm saying it all wrong, but that's the gist of my understanding as to why that is not an option yet.

Rob562

Here's my understanding; someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason that onsite guests can charge using MB's is because their MB is linked to their hotel reservation, where they have a credit card on file for charges (if they have chosen to do so).

I thought I had read somewhere that Disney was trying to be very careful about making sure that people know that the MB's don't increase risk of identity theft or credit card fraud, which may be possible if someone has access to technology that could scan the MB's.

I'm no technical expert, and I'm sure I'm saying it all wrong, but that's the gist of my understanding as to why that is not an option yet.

I posted in another thread, but I believe the main reason is that if you link a card to the Band there is no physical card present when the Band is swiped. Even if the system is secured with a PIN, it may not be secure enough for the credit card companies' liking. Having a card there to swipe makes sure that it's a valid charge.

And it's not really that they're protecting against someone using someone else's Band to make false charges because it's protected by a PIN, but rather the more likely possibility of someone linking a stolen card number to a Band and then racking up lots of fraudulent charges before its caught, all because there was never a card present at any of the purchases.

As it stands now, the charges to the room via room key/Magic Band isn't charging directly to a credit card, but rather they're charging to an internal Disney resort charge account. Much cheaper and easier for Disney to handle incorrect/fraudulent charges within those accounts and not getting the credit card involved at all.

As the OP mentioned, I think that if they went with some kind of charging to a Band, it would have something to do with the already-existing Disney Gift Card system. Pre-charge an amount onto a "card", which is linked to someone's MDE profile, and then use the Band to debit from that. There may be a requirement that they sell you a physical card and then the Band just refers to it. I can do that now with Dunkin Donuts, where I can link a gift card to the Dunkin phone app, and then use that to pay for purchases. I can also re-charge the "card" even if I don't have the physical card on me.

All that would require is to link the Disney Gift Card system to the MDE/Magic Band system.

-Rob

DisneyJoe

As it stands now, the charges to the room via room key/Magic Band isn't charging directly to a credit card, but rather they're charging to an internal Disney resort charge account. Much cheaper and easier for Disney to handle incorrect/fraudulent charges within those accounts and not getting the credit card involved at all.

Agreed, and you sign a document when checking into a resort stating that you will be accountable for all charges to your room account.

Tinkerbell397

Just got back from a WDW trip this weekend, and experienced the Magic Band and Fast Pass+ systems for the first time. Being a new AP passholder, I was skeptical at first, but after figuring everything out, I love it!

I enjoy using the Magic Band at the front gate and for FP+, but being an off-site guest, I was unable to make purchases with my Magic Band. I know on-site guests can use their Magic Bands for in-park purchases because the system bills their room. But I was wondering if Disney has any intention of implementing a similar systembfor off-site guests/passholders? Couldn't they link a credit/debit card to your Magic Band? Or perhaps give you the option of loading a pre-determined amount of funds onto your Magic Band? It doesn't sound like it should be that complicated. I really like the new system, but would enjoy it even more if I was allowed to use my Magic Band for in-park purchases.

So....can off site guests use Magic Bands? We are going to Disney in November....first time offsite. What is the process of getting Magic Bands if we are staying offsite? Thanks!

Ember

So....can off site guests use Magic Bands? We are going to Disney in November....first time offsite. What is the process of getting Magic Bands if we are staying offsite? Thanks!
Yes you can use them, but you do have to purchase them. Not sure if you have to wait until you get to the park or if you can order them ahead of time.

sjhym333

Yes you can use them, but you do have to purchase them. Not sure if you have to wait until you get to the park or if you can order them ahead of time.

My understanding is that you have to be at the point of purchase to get a MagicBand because the CM at the store is the one who links the band to your ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom