No more decorations on room windows?

RiversideBunny

Original Poster
What's this about a change in WDW policy regarding the decorating of resort room windows by guests?
Has anyone heard anything about this, i.e., that WDW will no longer allow window decorations for Halloween and Christmas?

Tks.
:)

Club Cooloholic

On my boat ride to Downtown Disney from Port Orleans Riverside, we passed a room at the French Quarter that was decorated with lights and this was last Saturday.

WildLodgeFan

I think it's on mouseplanet today but it doesn't sound right.
Why would WDW not want guests to decorate their resort room windows?

:)

It was on Mouse Planet and they indicate that members were saying there is being a fee assessed for it. The update also indicated they had contacted WDW for clarification of this change and would update their blog when they receive a response.

Perhaps the concern is the extra cleaning involved?!? Tape residue or such . . .:shrug:

Ayeembored

Or the cost of the extra electricity for the Christmas lights?

As an aside, people decorating their windows, even during the summer, is part of what makes staying on property special. It makes every day even more of a... well, party isn't the right word... special event?

WDWRLD

I have always decorated when we went for christmas and it wouldnt be the same if we didnt. However....I can see where Disney may need to put some limits on the decorating. I have seen the large C-7 lights used and they produce quite a bit of heat. Most times people leave them on all the time and this presents a danger of fire. Even the mini lights if left up against the curtains over time can produce enough heat to ignite. Mabey they need to clarify what is and isnt allowed. LED lights would be fine as they produce no heat and use hardly any electricity. They could also say that you can only use suction cups on the windows and no tape.

Brian_WDW74

I've heard about this on other forums. My understanding is that it's due to people leaving behind writing and excess tape on the windows when they check out, causing Mousekeeping to take extra time to clean the windows. Some people have reported being told that they'd either have to remove the decorations entirely or be assessed a cleaning fee.

Dwarful

I don't think its unreasonable to charge a fee if damage is done. But I certainly don't want to pay a fee to put up a few decorations. We never really did lights in the windows. We always brought tinsel garland, Disney window clings, a mini-tree etc., perhaps they can limit what is allowed. As someone else mentioned those C-7 or C-9 bulbs can get warm and create a fire hazzard.

disneydiva72

I don't think its unreasonable to charge a fee if damage is done. But I certainly don't want to pay a fee to put up a few decorations

I agree.

I will be at Disney from the 23rd of Dec thru the 27th and I AM bring lights and a small tree, there is NO WAY I will be anywhere w/out some sort of decorations.

burninup4nick

I love decorating my room windows....I do it every year for Christmas and Halloween....it would be really sad if they didnt allow you to...although it is extra work for them because a lot of people dont clean their windows...so the maids have to do it....we always clean ours before we leave... hopefully this is just a rumor because it would take some of the magic away from staying on site... :(

krankenstein

If true, this ruins one of the magical little things about the Christmas Season. I've never decorated myself, but I sure did enjoy looking at everyone's decorations!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm really surprised they allow it from a safety prespective. They have no idea on the quality or safety of the lights being used, and they are putting the entire resort at risk. Isnt there a crazy statistic about how many house fires are started each year by holiday decorations.

Thurp

I'm really surprised they allow it from a safety prespective. They have no idea on the quality or safety of the lights being used, and they are putting the entire resort at risk. Isnt there a crazy statistic about how many house fires are started each year by holiday decorations.

I was coming in to say just that.

First you have the fire safety issue. Then you have the cleaning issue, from tape residue on windows/walls to people leaving in a rush without cleaning up at all. And finally, and I may offend some people so I apologize, come on, it's a resort, not a college dorm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom