No Fantasmic! shows scheduled beyond January 4 2012 - refurb or something else?

flavious27

Since I think I'm the main one that voted for removal, I think I should take the opportunity to explain myself.

3) Future expansion.
This is the least important, but worth noting. Fantasmic takes up a good chunk of land, which is completely unused for most portions of the theme parks business hours, in a park that is limited in expansion areas. The little business sense I possess thinks that the plots used by Fantasmic and the Beauty and the Beast show could be used for a great attraction expansion ala the Toon/Maroon Studios idea.

In sum, I'm not opposed to Fantasmic!, I just believe Disney might could do a little better. I'd actually like them to move Fantasmic and show the DisneySea version at Downtown Disney. (a pipe dream I know, but I'd rather see that than World of Color - again great show, but I'd like it to remain a DCA exclusive). Win-win

That is why I think that the expansion / refurb that should be done at DHS is redoing the entrance and also redoing the west side of sunset blvd. The current theater doesn't fit into the architecture of the area, not does it offer many other choices. The Hollywood Hills Amphitheater should use South Lake and face it, also this setup would allow its use throughout the day.

Isn't there a channel connecting it with the lake?

Forgive me, I can't remember what that lake is called.
I'm pretty sure, though, that there is a connection between the two bodies.

South Lake, there is no connection between the two bodies of water.

HMF

From Micechat
"And finally, in appreciation to what has become a timeless classic of our evening entertainment line up, WDW will carefully update the classic Illuminations. As they periodically make changes to shows based on guest feedback they go into this update being mindful that this show is a guest favorite and will need to retain many of its classic features. Now guest will be able to be *in* this most loved show as they are going to display a new photo memories mosaic unto the globe in the middle of the lagoon. With pictures of our guests in the world showcase countries shown in the matching geographic locations on the globe during the show.

Additionally guest often say they cannot see the globe due to smoke from the fireworks and this rework needs keep this demand in mind. So they are reworking how much pyro is used in the show to ensure clear views of the photopass memories displayed on the globe of this updated Classic WDW show with a working title of Illuminations: Memories of You."

I am terrified.

NoChesterHester

From Micechat
"And finally, in appreciation to what has become a timeless classic of our evening entertainment line up, WDW will carefully update the classic Illuminations. As they periodically make changes to shows based on guest feedback they go into this update being mindful that this show is a guest favorite and will need to retain many of its classic features. Now guest will be able to be *in* this most loved show as they are going to display a new photo memories mosaic unto the globe in the middle of the lagoon. With pictures of our guests in the world showcase countries shown in the matching geographic locations on the globe during the show.

Additionally guest often say they cannot see the globe due to smoke from the fireworks and this rework needs keep this demand in mind. So they are reworking how much pyro is used in the show to ensure clear views of the photopass memories displayed on the globe of this updated Classic WDW show with a working title of Illuminations: Memories of You."

I am terrified.

Sounds like a joke to me.

AEfx

Yeah, but exactly the kind of joke that totally wouldn't surprise me. ;)

I'm one of the few who doesn't particularly care for Illuminations. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I saw it. It's just so tough to find a great spot without squatting for hours, and it's always so crowded and I just don't care about the globe and whatever pictures they want to put on it.

I wish they'd build good seating, so you could enjoy the show.

WDW_Emily

Yeah, but exactly the kind of joke that totally wouldn't surprise me. ;)

I'm one of the few who doesn't particularly care for Illuminations. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I saw it. It's just so tough to find a great spot without squatting for hours, and it's always so crowded and I just don't care about the globe and whatever pictures they want to put on it.

I wish they'd build good seating, so you could enjoy the show.

While I do love Illuminations, I couldn't agree with you more. Until this past trip, I can't remember getting a spot where we could see everything/no trees were in the way. This past trip, we got a good spot and had to get there an hour and a half before.

I love the trees around World Showcase and I wouldn't want to take them down but there needs to be a better way for people to watch Illuminations. (I know I'm demanding a lot:lookaroun)

AEfx

While I do love Illuminations, I couldn't agree with you more. Until this past trip, I can't remember getting a spot where we could see everything/no trees were in the way. This past trip, we got a good spot and had to get there an hour and a half before.

I love the trees around World Showcase and I wouldn't want to take them down but there needs to be a better way for people to watch Illuminations. (I know I'm demanding a lot:lookaroun)

And I think I'd like it more if it wasn't such a cluster-you-know-what.

That's my biggest problem - what you pointed out. There are TONS of great spots around that HUGE lagoon - but so many have obstructed views (intentionally so it feels) that I just don't bother.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ironically WDWs was meant to be the superior version when designed. The mickey slaying the dragon should have been spectacular. Would have been too had the lift worked. The whole production is now showing it's age- but first timers so, and should, love it.

TP2000

Now that we're all in the mood to throw vague quotes from insiders around, there's a vague yet tantalizing blurb from Al Lutz on the front page of Miceage this morning...

I sure hope all the rumors popping up everywhere about a major overhaul and refresh at DisneyWorld are true. That kind of announcement would help to launch the D23 Expo in the best possible way and give the Orlando visitors the quality they deserve. - Al Lutz

Hmm.... Could be great news heading Orlando's way at D23 Expo next month! :sohappy:

yoyoflamingo

From Micechat

I am terrified.

But, the poster today added that it was a 100% tongue in cheek joke as a typical TDO response. No worries about this change as of now.

puntagordabob

From Micechat

I am terrified.

It isnt April.....but for all of our sakes I hope it is a belated 4-1 Joke.....

Espeically when the Memories campaign is supposed to be a one year thing (yeah I know lol) and its already Mid july!

donaldfan

There are plenty of great spots to watch ROE. Try right in front of the Norway pavillion (closer to Mexico side) about 20 mins prior to the show. Great view and there are bathrooms directly behind you and a beer cart. :ROFLOL: Also, they open the stage (most nights) in WS Plaza about 10 - 15 mins prior to the show. Everyone scrambles to get up there, but they must sit. This leaves plenty of area where those folks were previously standing and you can get a great view and aren't forced to sit.

ROE is my fave show/attraction at WDW, I've become pretty good at finding good spots without wasting an hour of my evening. Good luck next time, hope I provided some help on finding a spot for my fellow ROE fans!

daikonjam

I personally didn't enjoy Fantasmic! as much as I was hyped up to expect. Most of the show is just (crappy) projections, and what's with half of it being Pocahontas themed? I love Pocahontas, but the whole thing just seemed extremely outdated, like they made the show in the 90's, included what was popular then, and just left it like that.

Not impressed.
And I'm usually very positive here :) This is just one of those things I don't care for, and will only go to see it again with my mom, who's always wanted to but never has.

flavious27

From Micechat

I am terrified.

That is funny for so many different reasons. Hasn't disney engineered the fireworks to be as smokeless as possible. And the memories campaign is just creepy, I doubt tdo got any positive feedback on that.

There are ways that disney can make the viewing areas larger and still have them dual use and or blended in. Showcase plaza can be raised and also slopped, really they could just raise it high enough to have the two gifts shops turned into one and buried with doors on the lower part of the plaza. They can enlarge the island between france and the uk. They could make the international gateway and gift shop into a two story building, with the park entrance / exit on the first floor and goft shop and large patio area on the second floor.

JustInTime

The only thing good that came out of Let the Memories Begin campaign was MMY

(And the balloons off the monorails)

I think the display in front of the train station is pretty nice. And I think the commercials with the Susan Sarandon Voice-over is pretty awesome. I think it's a pretty decent campaign...so far.

AEfx

Ironically WDWs was meant to be the superior version when designed. The mickey slaying the dragon should have been spectacular. Would have been too had the lift worked. The whole production is now showing it's age- but first timers so, and should, love it.

I still love Fantasmic. I just wish they'd get a decent dragon. It really irks me that they still show that clip of some grand animatronic dragon that doesn't exist in the show. It certainly isn't the head on a stick in the video.

Jakester

I think the display in front of the train station is pretty nice. And I think the commercials with the Susan Sarandon Voice-over is pretty awesome. I think it's a pretty decent campaign...so far.

I totally forgot about the display. It looks great.

Its a lil better than Celebrate. They didnt take this one to its full potential

CrescentLake

There are ways that disney can make the viewing areas larger and still have them dual use and or blended in. Showcase plaza can be raised and also slopped, really they could just raise it high enough to have the two gifts shops turned into one and buried with doors on the lower part of the plaza. They can enlarge the island between france and the uk. They could make the international gateway and gift shop into a two story building, with the park entrance / exit on the first floor and goft shop and large patio area on the second floor.

Its funny that you should say that, I've never had a problem viewing Illuminations. I generally go in April around Easter, and watch Illuminations at least twice a trip. Never have to wait more than 30 minutes to get my favorite place in Showcase Plaza.

I realize anecdotal evidence =/= evidence though. Just my own experience.

flavious27

Its funny that you should say that, I've never had a problem viewing Illuminations. I generally go in April around Easter, and watch Illuminations at least twice a trip. Never have to wait more than 30 minutes to get my favorite place in Showcase Plaza.

I realize anecdotal evidence =/= evidence though. Just my own experience.

I don't remember how long I have needed to wait to get viewing areas in the past but for the amount of people that are usually there for it, the viewing areas are not enough for most of the crowd. Disney doesn't need to build a single purpose seating and or viewing area, but they can help by making the viewing areas better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom