Nintendo World - IoA

Turtle

Original Poster
Here's my idea for a brand new Nintendo themed land at Islands of Adventure replacing Toon Lagoon. This wouldn't be a kiddy land, yet it won't be a big thrill land either but rather fun for any age attractions. Nintendo World would bring in a range of gamers that could be even bigger than Potterheads.

Attractions:1. Mario Kart - Race through the famous worlds of Super Mario in this Autopia/dark-ride attraction. (D-Ticket)
2. Pokémon: Gotta Catch 'Em All - Shooter ride (using Spiderman/Buzz Lightyear/Toy Story Mania technology) where all Pokémon are let loose, and it's up to you to shoot them and catch them again! (E-Ticket)
3. The Legend of Zelda - Outdoor family coaster with a thrill level of Big Thunder Mountain. (D-Ticket)

Dining:1. Untitled Kirby Restaurant - Quick-service restaurant themed to Kirby (since Kirby eats a lot)
2. The Seven Stars Restaurant - Restaurant like in Pokemon Diamond

Shopping:
1. PokéStore - Exit shop to Pokémon: Gotta Catch 'Em All selling Pokémon merchandise
2. Untitled Mario Shop - Exit shop to Mario Kart selling Mario merchandise
3. Nintendo Center - Store selling all Nintendo merchandise

Other Experiences:1. Yoshi Island Playzone - Playground for little kids themed to Yoshi, Baby Mario, and Baby Luigi
2. Club Nintendo - Come inside and try upcoming and all Nintendo games

lazyboy97o

I have the same problem with this that I have with ideas like a Pixarland or a Lucasland or anything in a Disney park because its owned by Disney. While Nintendo does do cross over games like the Smash Brothers series, I do not see any connection between these characters and their stories. They're being forced into a world because at this moment they share a common branding/ownership. It is different with something like Marvel because there is a long history of a Marvel Universe in which these characters inhabiting the same world and not just for fun cross overs. But would you really expect to so see Super Mario in a Legend of Zelda game or vice versa?

Turtle

Original Poster
I have the same problem with this that I have with ideas like a Pixarland or a Lucasland or anything in a Disney park because its owned by Disney. While Nintendo does do cross over games like the Smash Brothers series, I do not see any connection between these characters and their stories. They're being forced into a world because at this moment they share a common branding/ownership. It is different with something like Marvel because there is a long history of a Marvel Universe in which these characters inhabiting the same world and not just for fun cross overs. But would you really expect to so see Super Mario in a Legend of Zelda game or vice versa?
True. Do you think it'd work if it was only Super Mario and Pokémon?

Turtle

Original Poster
But what is the relationship between these two? I would think either could stand on its own.
Hmm. That's tough. If it's Pokémon on it's own it could have a gym-battle stunt-show, the e-ticket shooter where you gotta catch 'em all when they're let loose, a coaster on a flying pokémon, and a submarine water ride. If it's Mario it could have the center Mario Kart, Yoshi Island dark-ride, Bowser castle coaster.

That's a tough one to choose

lazyboy97o

Hmm. That's tough. If it's Pokémon on it's own it could have a gym-battle stunt-show, the e-ticket shooter where you gotta catch 'em all when they're let loose, a coaster on a flying pokémon, and a submarine water ride. If it's Mario it could have the center Mario Kart, Yoshi Island dark-ride, Bowser castle coaster.

That's a tough one to choose
Seeing as these are general thought exercises, why choose?

Bairstow

The trouble with video games is that the characters, worlds, not to mention the characters themselves, are constantly evolving and falling in and out of popularity, even more so than traditional movie and cartoon characters.

Let's say, for instance, that IOA wanted to build a Zelda-themed attraction. What location or game would this even be based on? Someone my age might want to see something from Ocarina of Time rendered, but a lot of kids haven't even played that game and associate the Zelda characters with the newer games (Skyward Sword I think?).

Speaking of Toon Lagoon and video games, did anyone else catch Gabe of Penny Arcade's thoughts on it?
Pretty funny stuff, but the language isn't safe for this board.
http://penny-arcade.com/2012/10/26
http://penny-arcade.com/2012/10/25
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-pNxVxCD/0/L/i-pNxVxCD-X3.jpg
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-WxD46dD/0/L/i-WxD46dD-X3.jpg

bubbles1812

But which Zelda game would you base it on?
Wand of Gamelon?

Oooooh. Fun question. I think you'd have to go with the one, the only, Ocarina of Time! That's what truly put the game on the map :) Still considered one of the greatest games of all time afterall. I will say I really liked Twilight Princess too. And Skyward Sword and heck, yes even Majora's Mask. The franchise is just awesome!

The trouble with video games is that the characters, worlds, not to mention the characters themselves, are constantly evolving and falling in and out of popularity, even more so than traditional movie and cartoon characters.

Let's say, for instance, that IOA wanted to build a Zelda-themed attraction. What location or game would this even be based on? Someone my age might want to see something from Ocarina of Time rendered, but a lot of kids haven't even played that game and associate the Zelda characters with the newer games (Skyward Sword I think?).

I agree with you to a point. But there are still consistencies throughout all the games that I think you could build a ride on. You could even create an original storyline (with Nintendo's permission of course) for said ride too that would keep the essence of what the games are all about. There are a few video game franchises like Mario, Halo, and Zelda that continue to be popular year after year. If you chose one of those franchises, I think it could work.

Bairstow

You could even create an original storyline (with Nintendo's permission of course) for said ride too that would keep the essence of what the games are all about.

That's really what you'd have to do, and the fans would hate it.
Just look at how game fans react to all the movie adaptations.

bubbles1812

That's really what you'd have to do, and the fans would hate it.
Just look at how game fans react to all the movie adaptations.
I wouldn't agree that that's a fair comparison to make between a full length feature movie and what would probably amount at best to a 10 minute ride. Not saying its impossible to screw up a storyline but still, not a feature length film. Especially of you got the creators of the games involved in said storyline. Why would fans have reject it if the writers/creators are involved? I don't think they would... Judging how well all the games have been received, I think I could trust them to make a 10 minute plot. I'm envisioning involvement along the lines of jk Rowling and Uni...I think it's work just fine

td1129

Yeah I really wish Disney could get it together and tie things together as well as universal did with shrek, the mummy, the Simpsons and men in black. Really just a masterful job of making everything cohesive.

SirLink

Well in Brawl there was a story showing how all the worlds connect ala Kingdom Hearts - but this idea would never happen. If it were to happen it would be in Japan and that is it.

wiigirl

It would be cool if lasertag type of game was there too... :p
75.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom