Nintendo World - IoA

lazyboy97o

You obviously didn't understand what I meant. By saying "the park for teens" I meant exactly what you just said, the preference for youth in Orlando. I was not using it in reference to how Uni ran their park. I was saying that in my opinion, it wouldn't be a wise choice.
Yes, but it's still your opinion based on how to appeal to teens as a target demographic, a group which lacks the disposable income and means of travel desired by a destination theme park resort.

WED99

Yes, but it's still your opinion based on how to appeal to teens as a target demographic, a group which lacks the disposable income and means of travel desired by a destination theme park resort.
IOA is always filled with teenage groups not accompanied by adults. It is one of their biggest markets. And as a teen I can say from experience, my opinion affects the destinations my family visits on vacation immensely.

lazyboy97o

IOA is always filled with teenage groups not accompanied by adults. It is one of their biggest markets. And as a teen I can say from experience, my opinion affects the destinations my family visits on vacation immensely.
You touch on both reasons why seeking teens as a demographic is bad for Universal. Teen are both independent and dependent. As a teen you're family is going to be far less interested in only getting vicarious enjoyment. You really think your family will go on a vacation only you, the teenager, directly enjoys? Those teens there alone are alone but either live nearby or came with somebody else.

WED99

You touch on both reasons why seeking teens as a demographic is bad for Universal. Teen are both independent and dependent. As a teen you're family is going to be far less interested in only getting vicarious enjoyment. You really think your family will go on a vacation only you, the teenager, directly enjoys? Those teens there alone are alone but either live nearby or came with somebody else.
You also supported my argument with your last statement. As I was saying in the first place, the nearby teens are a large market. And yes, if I could convince my family they will enjoy it then try may very likely go.

I don't care that much too be honest, I said what I felt. Don't really feel like I have to support it too much.

Toon Lagoon 4 Lyf <3

lazyboy97o

You also supported my argument with your last statement. As I was saying in the first place, the nearby teens are a large market. And yes, if I could convince my family they will enjoy it then try may very likely go.

I don't care that much too be honest, I said what I felt. Don't really feel like I have to support it too much.
Local teens might be a big market for a business that aims locally, not a destination resort.

Convincing somebody to try something you think they will like is different than making them do something you know they will not like. How many parents like entertainment aimed at toddlers? What they like is that their kids like it. Do you really see that with teenagers?

You made statements about the market the park was seeking. I don't see that as emotional subject, which is why I am questioning your point.

WED99

You made statements about the market the park was seeking. I don't see that as emotional subject, which is why I am questioning your point.
No actually, I didn't. You read the reply wrong. As I said, I don't care enough to support it any longer. I know you from past experience and you won't let this go until it's more serious than it has to be, so I'm dropping it now.

All I can say is I hope Toon Lagoon never goes :D

IAmFloridaBorn

Since when is Islands of Adventure knowns as "the park for teens"? And even if it was, its a lousy demographic to court.

It's been labeled that for a while. However Universal won't say so and it's officially "The Universal Orlando Resort", and they recognize themselves a place for families..

BryceM

It's been labeled that for a while. However Universal won't say so and it's officially "The Universal Orlando Resort", and they recognize themselves a place for families..
Well, because it is The Universal Orlando Resort and it's very possible for families to have a great time there. I've been to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure with my friends and with my family many times each and my family certainly had a great time.

JT3000

But no video game characters are more iconic than Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Link, Zelda, etc. This is isn't even counting other things from these games (Koopas, Goombas, bomb-ombs, shells, floating boxes, pipes, flowers, etc.) that are easily recognizable by anyone, at any age.

As far as video game characters and objects go, Nintendo holds the most "iconic". I'm not saying the land should be transformed at all, because I love Toon Lagoon, but if it were replaced by a video game franchise, Nintendo would be the best bet.

Nintendo's characters are so iconic because A) they're older than most other video game properties and B) they're constantly rehashed. Super Mario will still be around in 20 years because they'll have made 50 million more games starring him. They milk that cow so hard I'm surprised the udders haven't fallen off.

Nintendo is able to appeal to casual gamers with its consoles through the use of "unique" gimmicks, but they always play it safe when it comes to the games, using the same established properties they've been using since time immemorial. And they don't really have much of a choice, since their hardware lacks the horse power to attract 3rd party developers who have new, exciting ideas.

Not only was the Wii a complete joke from a technical standpoint, the brand new Wii U is roughly on par with the 360 and PS3 in terms of power. It's on par with 7-year-old technology! When the next-gen successors of those systems come out, 3rd party developers and the hardcore gamers who play their games will have zero interest in Nintendo's platform. But Nintendo can still sell its brand to the casuals, just like they successfully did with the Wii. So... using the same old characters repeatedly it is!

To veer more on topic, I don't believe video games should ever be introduced to Universal's parks. They would look very out of place. Like that completely random Crash Bandicoot character they used to have...

BryceM

To veer more on topic, I don't believe video games should ever be introduced to Universal's parks. They would look very out of place. Like that completely random Crash Bandicoot character they used to have...
I agree. I would like a non-franchise land to come to Islands of Adventure. The two non-franchise lands (The Lost Continent and Port of Entry) are visually stunning and very beautiful/immersive.

IAmFloridaBorn

Well, because it is The Universal Orlando Resort and it's very possible for families to have a great time there. I've been to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure with my friends and with my family many times each and my family certainly had a great time.
Likewise. I've always seen it as a place families, friends can enjoy. It never really needed to "try" it accomplished that goal a while ago.

Powerline

Nintendo is a shell of it's former self in this day and age, it'stit;es and hardware have been getting weaker, and it's just not the SNES days anymore.

WED99

Nintendo is a shell of it's former self in this day and age, it'stit;es and hardware have been getting weaker, and it's just not the SNES days anymore.
Very true.
If this Nintendo World thing were to ever happen, it would definentely be themed to the classic 8-bit era.

Bairstow

I disagree. For one, Nintendo as a corporation is much larger than it was in the mid '90s.
Their current strategy, creating and marketing game systems with quality first-party titles and paradigm-shifting control schemes that broaden the appeal of games beyond the core market has proved very successful, and keeps them from having to play the hardware horsepower wars between Sony and Microsoft.

WED99

I disagree. For one, Nintendo as a corporation is much larger than it was in the mid '90s.
Their current strategy, creating and marketing game systems with quality first-party titles and paradigm-shifting control schemes that broaden the appeal of games beyond the core market has proved very successful, and keeps them from having to play the hardware horsepower wars between Sony and Microsoft.
http://siliconangle.com/blog/2011/04/25/nintendos-revenue-drops-as-annual-profits-tumble-66/
the hardware horsepower stuff is what sells unfortunately. games like zelda and mario kart are amazing, but too many people consider them "kiddie" games.

JT3000

Both strategies sell. They sell to largely different demographics though. And no matter how good Nintendo's 1st party titles are, their over-reliance on those titles will continue, and could start to hurt them quite a bit. Sony and Microsoft don't have a truly iconic brand to sell like Nintendo does (although certain franchises, like Halo, hold their own,) but they're leaving more doors open for themselves than Nintendo is. Nintendo's strategy is short-sighted.

Also, while I'm sure it had its fair share of fans, the Wii's control scheme was nothing more than a gimmick, not a revolution in gaming like Nintendo wanted. The fact that they've already switched to something completely different is proof of this. I suspect the Wii U's gimmick will have less success garnering attention from the casual market. Its stock is currently selling out in most stores, but less units are being sold overall than the 360 and PS3, so it's hard to compare yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom