Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Console sales are not strong for the Wii U, this is true. But Nintendo's characters are still by far the most iconic in the gaming realm, not to mention have a special place in the hearts of 3 generations of gamers. It's a big get.

Also, people, give it up with Marvel. Seriously. It's getting sad.
Agreed. This is as much about what Universal can do with the IP in their parks as anything else....

Ignohippo

Console sales are not strong for the Wii U, this is true. But Nintendo's characters are still by far the most iconic in the gaming realm, not to mention have a special place in the hearts of 3 generations of gamers. It's a big get.

Also, people, give it up with Marvel. Seriously. It's getting sad.

You just have to look at the insane success of the Amiibos to see how strong the Nintendo properties still are.

Matt_Black

And, to be fair, consoles are a tricky market, and that's NEVER where the game companies make their money; it's the software and accessories.

The GameCube didn't exactly set the world on fire for many reasons- weird controllers, the weird game discs, and Nintendo believing that gamers wouldn't be interested in online play (HAH!). Add in a notable lack of 3rd party development compared to Xbox and Playstation 2, and they definitely got the bronze medal. Somehow they weathered through.

wdwfan757

Not if you expand your definition of what a "handheld console" is to include Apple and Samsung.

but you shouldn't expand it. No one is going to go a theme park based on candy crush, 2048, and 2 dots. If you pay close attention, you cant spend a full day at WDW without seeing someone with a Zelda themed triforce hat or a t-shirt.

Matt_Black

Plus, who cares about console sales when it comes to theme parks. If you tell Joe Shmoe that Universal is building a Super Mario ride, he's gonna say, "Cool!"

Actually, now that I think about it, a Star Fox ride would be SUH-WEET. BUT, they have to...

DO A BARREL ROLL!

giphy.gif

wdwfan757

I wasn't talking about you there. Just the "THIS MEANS UNIVERSAL WILL GIVE UP MARVEL" that Is all over this thread.:)

I still don't see how it's farfetched. Universal doesn't have a big theme park investment at Universal. With the exception of Spiderman, every single Marvel ride could be completely rethemed in a month. If Disney offers them a good deal, I absolutely think they'd take it and hopefully use the space to do nintendo justice.

matt78

Yet when someone makes that argument with Avatar it's batted back in their face. Usually with something like "Disney should focus on original ideas, not licensing IP."
I think it is more about people wanting Disney to use what they already have and are not using. A lot of the Disney classics don't have any representation in any of the parks. Universal doesn't have that problem because they don't have that many properties that they could use in the parks other then the classic monsters.

GLaDOS

Actually, now that I think about it, a Star Fox ride would be SUH-WEET.

That's the big thing here, for me. Universal has lacked the characters in their parks that could even put a dent in the Fantasyland crowd. Despicable Me is popular, but that's good for one, maybe two rides.

Now? Universal has Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Pokémon, etc to draw from. It's an embarrassment of riches.

GLaDOS

I still don't see how it's farfetched. Universal doesn't have a big theme park investment at Universal. With the exception of Spiderman, every single Marvel ride could be completely rethemed in a month. If Disney offers them a good deal, I absolutely think they'd take it and hopefully use the space to do nintendo justice.

Universal has plans for Marvel. Plans that involve expansion and new, amazing rides. They are not giving up Marvel when they have other, unused, wasted space to do Nintendo justice.

Again:

Marvel is staying at Universal Orlando. Period. End of story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom