MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1711390735100.png

1711390755904.png

1711390775053.png

BrianLo

Original Poster
Mario had a very good head start on Moana, but she's coming back and has an end of the year sprint lined up. It will be a close one.

We're likely too late in the year now for either of those movies to be toppled from spots 1/2.

BrianLo

Original Poster
I think we can determine some pretty good stats now from what Disney would consider successful streaming numbers with their weekly release strategy. Certainly in terms of the 'hour long' shows.

Shogun sets a nice floor. Clearly it has been considered successful and largely had 400-odd streaming minutes per week throughout the course of its reign, on average.

Ahsoka and Loki both had 500's generally. Percy Jackson was actually upper 500-600.

Then Mando is 800-1000. That's sort of your smash hit range to break into the top ten.

*Posting this also for me to refer back to*

BrianLo

Original Poster
A couple more recent series worth commenting on. The Santa Clauses was around the 300's in its first season and was renewed. It seems to be more 200's in the second season and has not been renewed (nor cancelled). I think we could set 300 as the actual floor for a live action "Disney". I think the expectation on SW/Marvel is slightly higher. National Treasure appeared once so I think it was more 150-200's and was not really seen as a success and cancelled.

-The Bear I think was in the 400's, hard to say as it was a single wave release.
-Only Murders in the buildings 500's
-Goosebumps is weird, it largely doesn't appear and is suddenly 500's in the back half of the season? I guess it suddenly caught on. Anyways that was renewed.
-Secret Invasion is in the 400's. On the low end for Star Wars and Marvel, but it wasn't a total dud.
-Echo was a single wave release, so again hard to normalize. But I can only account for 150min per episode, so I think in the 2-3's. I think Echo would not be considered successful (unfortunately, I liked it!)
-What If episodes are shorter and was a single wave release, but it seemed to have done fine.

If I've not mentioned a series I didn't go back much beyond the Santa Clauses, or it didn't break into the top ten so likely is not much of a success. Or it’s not an hour-long such as xmen 97.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It is odd to see The Judge at top on the movie streaming chart…. A 10 year old movie that did not light up the box office nor feels like it is barely remembered all these years later
I think the Netflix algorithm gooses their customers to check out older material. If I were them, I'd look for hidden gems that got great reviews but didn't make a big splash and then keep recommending them to my customers.

That other gooser of Netflix shows is the relentless TikTokization/YouTubeShortsiation of scenes from older shows and movies. All the big dramatic, or funny, or sexy moments get put in an 8-12 second vignette. And once you watch one of them, the TikTok/YouTube algorithm takes over and keeps putting more of that show's shorts/tiktoks into your feed. And then people will want to watch the full series/movie on Netflix.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom