Newsies musical coming soon to a cinema near you!

ForeverAnna

I've been to a few of these. They are very well done.

As for Hamilton, they record everything for theatre archives. Doesn't mean it will be distributed.

jensenrick

Because it opens up the show to an audience that might not otherwise see it due to location, or cost.

Thank you for this exactly! I was lucky to hear about this Fathom event actually happening on my day off (often I hear about it after, or it's playing a night I work) so I was more than happy to see Newsies this way- and I loved it! The music and the choreography were amazing, just fantastic!
Not to mention, the theater I saw it at here in Jensen Beach was PACKED, way more than I've seen for a regular movie in this area for awhile.
It was GREAT! This was the only way I was going to be able to see this particular Broadway show- and I was glad of it. I even looked up Jeremy Jordan online after the show, to see what else he is doing, because that guy is a talent!

As for the detractor, I can't imagine being "annoyed" that people who don't have the time, money or opportunity to schep all the way to NYC get to be exposed to and enjoy the entertainment of Broadway on a big screen. It's not a zero sum game, so it takes nothing away from those who do go to NY.
I don't even want to ask why it's okay for PBS on a small screen, but not a big screen? That makes no sense.

21stamps

Thank you for this exactly! I was lucky to hear about this Fathom event actually happening on my day off (often I hear about it after, or it's playing a night I work) so I was more than happy to see Newsies this way- and I loved it! The music and the choreography were amazing, just fantastic!
Not to mention, the theater I saw it at here in Jensen Beach was PACKED, way more than I've seen for a regular movie in this area for awhile.
It was GREAT! This was the only way I was going to be able to see this particular Broadway show- and I was glad of it. I even looked up Jeremy Jordan online after the show, to see what else he is doing, because that guy is a talent!

As for the detractor, I can't imagine being "annoyed" that people who don't have the time, money or opportunity to schep all the way to NYC get to be exposed to and enjoy the entertainment of Broadway on a big screen. It's not a zero sum game, so it takes nothing away from those who do go to NY.
I don't even want to ask why it's okay for PBS on a small screen, but not a big screen? That makes no sense.

I'm the detractor in this case, but I have to admit, I learned something new by this thread. I didn't know these kinds of things were done before. So I admit my ignorance on that.

The difference between PBS and an actually Movie Theatre release is that on PBS it is a concert, not the actual performance. So if someone watches the concert, it may prompt them even more to go see the actual musical.
If they see the musical on a movie screen, then they don't really need to see it live. I'm not talking about NYC, I'm talking about a Performing Arts Center in any city across America.

I love the arts. Theater has always been important in my life, I would hate to see people stop buying tickets because they could sit in a movie theater with popcorn instead.

All that said, if people can absolutely not make it to a city nearby to see the show, or maybe can not afford it.. then I'm totally for seeing in a movie theater than not at all.

Does that make sense?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom