Newsies musical coming soon to a cinema near you!

21stamps

I went this past March, absolutely loved it!! I probably won't go see it at the movie theater though...probably...

21stamps

So, Newsies is getting the "Hairspray" treatment.
I don't understand it.

This is a recording of a live production. The more I think about it the more it annoys me. People don't need it on a big screen.

It's an insult to the performance. Just let PBS do an Anniversary special and sell it for donations.

Disneyhead'71

I don't understand it.

This is a recording of a live production. The more I think about it the more it annoys me. People don't need it on a big screen.

It's an insult to the performance. Just let PBS do an Anniversary special and sell it for donations.
Sorry, I misinterpreted the tweets. I thought they were going to make a feature film based on the Broadway musical based on the Disney film staring Christian Bale.

This seems more like a Fathom Event type thing.

21stamps

Sorry, I misinterpreted the tweets. I thought they were going to make a feature film based on the Broadway musical based on the Disney film staring Christian Bale.

This seems more like a Fathom Event type thing.
I had to read the tweets a few times too. I just kept thinking.. Are they really just recording a performance and transferring to a movie theater?

prberk

Ummm. Or they could just re-release the movie. Now there's a thought.

Newsies the movie was actually a good film -- literate and well-done. Like a Sherman Brothers musical, it was a family film that also asked the kids in the audience to stretch their vocabulary and go with the filmmakers to a historical place and time that is rarely the subject of family films.

21stamps

Because it opens up the show to an audience that might not otherwise see it due to location, or cost.
Which is why I said that it should become a PBS special.. Not a theater release.

Sorry, not arguing with you. It just makes me sad. Should we film Hamilton as well and sell movie tickets to it? There's nothing like seeing something live on stage. A recording shouldn't replace that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Which is why I said that it should become a PBS special.. Not a theater release.

Sorry, not arguing with you. It just makes me sad. Should we film Hamilton as well and sell movie tickets to it? There's nothing like seeing something live on stage. A recording shouldn't replace that.

But the recording isn't replacing it, you can still see it live if you want to. This is not something totally new, as mentioned above. Fathom Events provides all kinds of live shows to be shown in movie theaters. My wife loves opera and goes to the Met in NYC a couple times a year, but she also goes and sees some of the Fathom broadcasts since it's not practical to see them all live.

Don't get me wrong, I love live theater, I have been involved with community theater for almost 30 years, but I don't see a problem opening up theater to a different audience by showing it in movies theaters.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Oh, and BTW, they did film Hamilton, but at the moment they have not said what they will do with it....

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2016/06/hamilton-filmed-original-broadway-cast

21stamps

They are also bringing back members of the original cast which even fewer people would have had an opportunity to see.
That is the only part that I liked. But they could have done a recorded concert event.. Similar to Les Mis or others 10th, 25th etc.

I love those, but they're not a filmed live recording of the actual show. It's a special event.
But the recording isn't replacing it, you can still see it live if you want to. This is not something totally new, as mentioned above. Fathom Events provides all kinds of live shows to be shown in movie theaters. My wife loves opera and goes to the Met in NYC a couple times a year, but she also goes and sees some of the Fathom broadcasts since it's not practical to see them all live.

Don't get me wrong, I love live theater, I have been involved with community theater for almost 30 years, but I don't see a problem opening up theater to a different audience by showing it in movies theaters.

Ok just read this one after I wrote the above. If it makes someone go because now they have an interest- great. If someone would have never otherwise have seen it- ok, maybe.

I went to see it for the first time this past March. I'm glad that I hadn't seen a recording first. Same goes with any other play or opera. I have not seen Hamilton but know it will be exciting when I finally do. I couldn't get tickets for Mama Mia the first year it was out.. That made it even more special when I finally did.

I do see your point, I just think some things don't need to be readily available.

21stamps

My wife loves Fathom, she goes to see a lot of Metropolitan Opera performances that they show.
You know your on a website too much when this happens--

But I thought about this comment last night. I finally downloaded the Hoopla app (had no idea it existed until recently), and watched the movie Newsies. They also have soundtracks and the 25th anniversary specials that I was talking about earlier in the thread.

Your wife may enjoy it! If you don't already use the site.

Bonus- there was a lot of Classic Disney movies. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom