New York Times article claims flight simulation will be part of upcoming Avatar land

Skooterkid

I think this was expected. The flying creatures (whatever their names are) are quite prominent in the movie and one of the things guests will be expecting to experience when visiting. The intriguing this is how they are going to do it. Surely it can't be anything like Soarin', which makes me think it's going to be something similar to the KUKA Robotic Arm technology used in the Harry Potter ride (which could potentially be amazing!).

neoshinok

I'm probably alone in this thinking, but my imagination is most excited by the idea of an omni-mover darkride through the Pandora forest at night. I love thrill rides, and can't decide what ride system they'll be using, but I would love to go through the scene from the film when Neytiri and Jake run through the bio-luminescent forest. It just looks so beautiful and the possibilites for a darkride have me salivating!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think this was expected. The flying creatures (whatever their names are) are quite prominent in the movie and one of the things guests will be expecting to experience when visiting. The intriguing this is how they are going to do it. Surely it can't be anything like Soarin', which makes me think it's going to be something similar to the KUKA Robotic Arm technology used in the Harry Potter ride (which could potentially be amazing!).

There were some Disney patents posted here a while back that showed a ride system with the vehicle suspended from cables that would be well suited to a flying experience.

JCtheparrothead

I remember seeing some concept/trademark pictures up here in the not so distant past. It was for a suspended ride that used cables to simulate flight. I know that i am the minority on the boards but I am digging the idea of Avatar land and this ride. Taking a trip over Pandora on one of the helicopters (specially fitted for lots of guests) would be pretty sweet in my opinion. Think the 360 3d theater that sea world has coming meets Harry Potters animatronics (dementors, dragons) meets soarin. I think i would stand in line for that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
imagine if you had Kong 3D type tunnel... but instead of in a car.. you flew over it all (with physical sets mixed in) from the overhead system disney experimented with prior to the soarin' structure breakthrough...

GrumpyFan

The "comment" from the NY Times article is pretty vague, and there was no indication of when it was made. So, don't everybody start getting all worked up over it.

MickeyPeace

I know that i am the minority on the boards but I am digging the idea of Avatar land and this ride. Taking a trip over Pandora on one of the helicopters (specially fitted for lots of guests) would be pretty sweet in my opinion. Think the 360 3d theater that sea world has coming meets Harry Potters animatronics (dementors, dragons) meets soarin. I think i would stand in line for that.

I'm excited for it too! Trust me. Everyone of the people who incessantly complain about it here on the boards will be amongst the first in line when Avatarland opens.

montyz81

Flight simulator again! Didn't we all agree that is what ruined Horizons? Why do we need another simulator. We have an simulator in the Star Wars ride, Hang glider in Sorin, Rocket in Mission Space. My goodness, get to something different and unique. This can't be just another motion simulation. It has to be as different and as impactful as The Wizarding World of HP. I suspect that if they break ground in 2014 and are done with the entire land by 2015, we aren't going to see all that much. FL expansion has taken much longer then that and it was just a land expansion.

wdw71fan

Flight simulator again! Didn't we all agree that is what ruined Horizons? Why do we need another simulator. We have an simulator in the Star Wars ride, Hang glider in Sorin, Rocket in Mission Space. My goodness, get to something different and unique. This can't be just another motion simulation. It has to be as different and as impactful as The Wizarding World of HP. I suspect that if they break ground in 2014 and are done with the entire land by 2015, we aren't going to see all that much. FL expansion has taken much longer then that and it was just a land expansion.

you are assuming it's a traditional 'motion sim'... The plans are far from that.. this is more like soarin meets potter as far as the technology invovled..

Honestly, once properly executed (see how confident I am? ;) ) this will easily top the potter experience that is in place, and the new e ticket that is rumored to be coming soon..

RSoxNo1

Simulator is such a vague term so this isn't really that significant. I also read this article and Cameron's comment as something that's either intentionally vague or still not set in stone. While he didn't pointedly say that, there seems to be very little in the way of details here.

With all that said, the rumor that I have also heard pointed to a simulator as an attraction possibility as well. At this point though, nothing seems definitive that we've heard so I'm still not getting excited or upset over this info.

disney fan 13

I am guessing that this could be one of three things

-Soarin
-Star tours simulator
-Something new

I ranked this from least impressive to Most impressive. I hope that they do try something new, but I am going to wait and see until some concept art comes out...

Prototype82

Cameron had said in an early statement that they were going to try something totally new. Stuff that was "still in the labs." Flight-simulation. That's the greatest news I've heard all day.

c-one

Simulator is such a vague term so this isn't really that significant. I also read this article and Cameron's comment as something that's either intentionally vague or still not set in stone. While he didn't pointedly say that, there seems to be very little in the way of details here.

With all that said, the rumor that I have also heard pointed to a simulator as an attraction possibility as well. At this point though, nothing seems definitive that we've heard so I'm still not getting excited or upset over this info.

Same here. And all due respect to Cameron, but I'm not sure I trust him as an authority on theme park technology (although I trust that he'll push for something that meets his high standards).

We have lots of flight-simulation rides in WDW. We need to hear what will make this one unique, different and amazing first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom